Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-15-09, 08:56 AM   #49
JohnDio

Default Re: Your favorite game engines?

I could play (with my beloved 8800GTX) Crysis with Very High settings (hacked DX9) @ 1024x768 + 16xAF + 16xCSAA when it launched. It looked great and performed really good. There were some minor slowdowns in the icy stages but the overall experience was amazing for that IQ. I even tweaked the SSAO to my liking.

So yeah, Crysis run great at a lower res with a good amount of CSAA, in a PC that was build one year before its release. And it was hard to notice the jaggies as you can see in the following screenies

JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 09:08 AM   #50
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I liked the Build engine a lot, and Doom.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 11:07 AM   #51
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Uncharted's engine is awesome. When combined with the artwork, I still think it looks better than Crysis. Crytek's art department has always let them down. A bunch of programmers does not always make a great game.
wha??

I thought the art work in Crysis was incredible. Especially inside the alien space ship.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 11:48 AM   #52
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
wha??

I thought the art work in Crysis was incredible. Especially inside the alien space ship.
Space ship is ok, but the rest is pretty much the same. A lot of trees with small wooden houses. FC has much better art dizajn.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 01:15 PM   #53
kazna

1. Source - Has great looking games that run well on nearly any system.
2. Capcom Framework - Scales so well with quads.
3. Unreal Engine - Again, scales really well and provides good visuals without massive system requirements.
4. CE2

CE2 is really complex. Its got a lot of features, but it performs really poor on older hardware. It also doesn't seem to scale with cores as well as Framework.

I'd rather have a source based title with excellent art that allows me to crank up the AA and AF and maintain 50+ minimum fps than an effects heavy title like Crysis.
kazna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 01:26 PM   #54
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
and obscene amounts of blurry depth of field...

The artistry is good and the engine is solid but the idea that the hardware is limiting them to blurring the background is ridiculous. I'll withhold final judgement until I see if crysis on PS3 is all blurry in the distance.. my hunch is that it won't be.

and though I haven't played too much of it, I dont' think killzone2 had a particularly blurry background and it was running on PS3 hardware.
what are u talking about? when is there obscene amounts of depth of field in a cryengine 2 game?
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 02:46 PM   #55
the9quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
trouble is, it cannot do colour, just browns

i thought FC2 looked nothing special and everything looked the same in the game which was an awful game too

It's the savannahs and shanty towns in Africa, I am pretty sure browns and realistic muted tones were a art decision.
Anyway like I said the colours and lighting seemed realistic to me for the setting.
Whether or not you think a game is awful, really has no factor on what and how well a engine is doing what it is doing.

Oh well to each his own and thats the point of this thread.
the9quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 03:04 PM   #56
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
It's NOT poorly optimized they just released the game TOO SOON. they built tomorrows engine and gave it to the public before the hardware was ready.

There are plenty of systems these days that can run the game at very generous detail levels and maintain a healthy FPS.... I'm running it with detail settings beyond what the developers coded into the very high settings mode and still maintain mid 30's~40's FPS.

If they had waited until now to release it, the game wouldn't have received NEARLY as much complaining about it running slow.

The problem is that for the first time in gaming history (to my knowledge) the gaming public was given a game that no current hardware on the market was capable of rendering fluidly at max detail settings (And Crytek TOLD us this would be the case) but us being stubborn, refused to listen and like the greedy bastards we are, we ALL want to run ALL our games at max settings and we want the FPS to be pegged at the Vsync rate the entire time.. And until Crysis came out, we more or less had that luxury. IF a new game came out and we had sluggish performance, there WAS a hardware upgrade capable of rendering said game at full details.

The cryengine was just a rude awakening that a lot of us weren't prepared for simply because we had never been put into that type of scenario where we couldn't buy more FPS and (at the time of its release) it was expensive just to get mediocre frame rates.

Now, you can buy a card that can deliver great FPS with the cryengine and the community has more or less tweaked the engine (another great thing about the cryengine) to deliver the visuals of very high settings but the frame rates of lower settings.

The cryengine is what gives PC gamers raging hard erections. Visuals, customizations, a killer editor, etc..
Far Cry did not run completely maxed out with ALL effects on full when it first came out on the top of the line hard-ware then.

It took almost a year for the game to run at full spec, by which time there were updates (through 1.4 or 1.5 or whatever it is now).

The r3xx sure as hell couldn't run it maxed and of course the nvidia cards of that generation just sucked.

Basically, there is precedence

CryEngine 3 will, hopefully, not lead to many people crying when Crysis 2 hits. I am hoping that we get to play as Prophet this time
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote