Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-18-09, 05:13 PM   #1
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork
Default Drivers question

I downloaded Win7 RC x64 and made a clean install over a freshly formatted partition.

I used to have 32-bit Vista, and thus all the drivers I had previously downloaded are for 32 bit.

For the time being (until Win7 officially comes out), should I use 64bit drivers, or 32bit drivers???

Thanks in advance.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 06:04 PM   #2
betterdan

Default Re: Drivers question

You can only use 64 bit drivers with the 64 bit versions of Windows.
Old 07-18-09, 07:21 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

drivers have to match the architecture, 32bit for 32, 64bit for 64 and so on
Old 07-19-09, 01:00 AM   #4
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Peachy. thanks

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Old 07-19-09, 01:05 AM   #5
betterdan

So how are you liking Win 7 so far Tuork? Did you find 64 bit drivers for all your stuff?
Old 07-19-09, 01:23 AM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork View Post
Peachy. thanks
upek got a new driver/software that works on later builds of win7. but the new driver/software is limited set, you have to pay 15 bucks for full license.
Old 07-19-09, 02:20 PM   #7
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
upek got a new driver/software that works on later builds of win7. but the new driver/software is limited set, you have to pay 15 bucks for full license.
Thanks for the info, but I don't use the fingerprint reader at all, so I won't even bother with the drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
So how are you liking Win 7 so far Tuork? Did you find 64 bit drivers for all your stuff?
Well, I just came from a Vista 32bit that had lasted over 6 months and had plenty of stuff installed on it, so the snappiness of this fresh install might be biased, but it feels great.
Memory usage went down from around 1.5GB to 900MB while I'm using my usual set of programs. Everything seems to be working fine, but I haven't installed all drivers just yet.

Regarding aesthetics, I'm digging the new look to it. New wallpapers and theme configuration are a definite upgrade from vista. Windows Explorer is definitely much nicer now (I tend to use it a lot), but I have a few minor comments on the new taskbar.

As you may know, the biggest change is the taskbar, now having programs show up as little icons. I like this a lot, but I wish it was more visible when multiple windows were active under a single program. This is particularly annoying with chat clients (in my case Pidgin), as I rely on seeing the new window on the taskbar to know I got a new message. Now only the icon flashes yellow to inform me. Not a big deal, but you know...

Another minor gripe I have is with the start menu. First of all, the Windows logo looks.. shoddy. Don't know if it's just me, but it feels a bit pixelated. The start menu itself is slightly different from the Vista menu. They've made the search field larger, I'm guessing to add more emphasis to it, but I liked it more the way it was before.

Also, the new shutdown button feels rushed. Doesn't really feel like it fits in with the rest of the menu. Again, I liked the previous one before.

Most of my comments are in the visual department. I haven't gotten much use out of it, specially more specialized tasks like programming and playing games, but it definitely feels like a much more solid OS. Searches are snappier, things seems to react faster. It's just better.

Also, they made MONUMENTAL fixes to the User Account Control and whatnot. It works perfectly now, only bugging you when it's an important matter, unlike Vista that asked you 3 different times before doing something really simple.

I think Windows 7 will really shine once it comes out oficially and applications are tailored for it. For isntance, I use Firefox, but IE 8 has a bunch of cool features that tie it into the OS that I would like to have in FF, and other programs as well. I believe the name for it is "Droplists", when you right click an item on your task bar and you can see recently done tasks, etc.

That's it for now folks.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Old 07-19-09, 03:43 PM   #8
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork View Post
Thanks for the info, but I don't use the fingerprint reader at all, so I won't even bother with the drivers.

Well, I just came from a Vista 32bit that had lasted over 6 months and had plenty of stuff installed on it, so the snappiness of this fresh install might be biased, but it feels great.
Memory usage went down from around 1.5GB to 900MB while I'm using my usual set of programs. Everything seems to be working fine, but I haven't installed all drivers just yet.
You're not biased. I just went back to Vista a couple weeks ago, and after the 2 SP's and all the updates, it still seemed sluggish. Windows 7 RC x64 is working great for me. Can't wait for the release later this year.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote