Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-03, 07:46 PM   #1
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Extra-Strength Drano for your PC...

I've had my friend Darlas's system done for a good little while now...

kt133a mobo
256mb PC133a
XP1600
GF2ti
10gb ATA-66 HD

... yeh, it's not much, but it just a starting point for her... a DDR mobo for her maybe at tax time 2k4... oh, and a bigger HD too... and a better vidcard... and.. well, you get the picture...

I've been real nice to teh windows installation... there's no OC'ability, so no chance of any OC related HD corruption...

Well, it's, um, corrupted... yeah...

At first there was just an occasional freeze... which I ended up attributing to the hot northbridge (which I think I need to put a fan on...)... then the freezes became a little more frequent, and it started doing things like "No, I will not install UT2K3 demo... your source is corrupted", "No I will not complete the download of this file ... I will get to 99% and then go poopy on you", and "Hey, the last file didn't work, what makes you think this one will?"... so, I check the HD out with Windows defragmenter and Norton Speed Disk... The analyze fine, and show that the drive is pretty messy (esp for a new install).. but on both programs, when I go to defrag or optimize, it always stops... err... it pauses... you see, it doesn't crash, and the program doesn't do a "not responding" thing... The optimization/defrag process just halts @ 10-15%...

Poopy.

I don't know if it's ram (which has run in the system for 1 1/2 yr w/no probs) or the fact that I didn't do a low-level format of the drive before I mated it to this system config... whatever the case, I gotta do a couple things...

First of all, I wish there was a heavier duty HD utility/optimizer that can work within windows...

Is there one?

If not, then I'm just gonna boot up with my Maxtor floppy, and run the Maxtor low-level format utility on this Samsung 10gb... then re-install windows and go from there...

Then if it does it again.. it's the ram... I'll stoop real low and go to one of the retail outlets to get a 256 stick o crucial... and see if that takes care of the problem...

So, first things first... are there and *BETTER/HEAVIER DUTY* defrag/HD optimize utilities out there I should try? Cuz MAYBE it just needs a good cleanin...

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-03, 10:16 PM   #2
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

For defragging, I always go for Disk Keeper from Executive Software. It's fast, and it works really well.

http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote