Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-21-09, 04:21 PM   #13
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Firefox better get it's act together

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
So the fact that Adobe doesn't have a 64-bit flash program, which led you to miss out on some skanks on the interwebs, led you to not like IE and prefer FF?

Wow...
I read the post but I think a lot was lost in translation.

I am not even sure he is even using IE8. Vista typically defaults with IE7.

Fwiw, IE8 is faster and uses less memory and has a pretty snazzy tabbed browsing experience compared to FF But, Chrome is still my first love

I am really hoping Firefox revises their interface for the next iteration. It looks too bloated.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 02:12 PM   #14
Heinz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
So the fact that Adobe doesn't have a 64-bit flash program, which led you to miss out on some skanks on the interwebs, led you to not like IE and prefer FF?

Wow...
NO, I NEVER liked the IE and for many reasons always preferred the Firefox . I was just wondering why to even include the 64bit browser since there was not Flash Player for it. I doubt many are using the 64bit IE anyway since the shortcut is opening the 32bit IE. I do also wonder what takes Adobe so long to get the 64bit flash.

The ONLY reason I did try to update the 64bit IE with Flash Player was so I can access "My Games" on Steam since 32 bit IE stopped responding COMPLETELY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
IE8 does not come with SP2.
I do not use the auto update on any program including Windows where I have only the Notify Option. Therefore I believe I did install both updates (Service Pack 2 and IE8) at the same time, in what order it was installed I'm not sure. Once the updates are selected the update site makes the order choice. The fact is one way or other the IE is very much integrated in the OS, that is why the Uninstall and Re-install could not fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
I read the post but I think a lot was lost in translation.

I am not even sure he is even using IE8. Vista typically defaults with IE7.

Fwiw, IE8 is faster and uses less memory and has a pretty snazzy tabbed browsing experience compared to FF But, Chrome is still my first love

I am really hoping Firefox revises their interface for the next iteration. It looks too bloated.
You can be sure that I was using the IE8 since the ONLY install on my PC is IE8 32-bit and 64- version. It's very easy to check what is running.

As I said before I never liked the IE because because of the OS integration which makes it higher security risk and if there is any problem with the IE it also makes it harder to fix at least that was in my case and many others who had the same or similar problem.

We all have different browsing preferences so I'm NOT saying which browser is better, specially since Chrome is your love but here is why I prefer Firefox.

1. The ABP is not on Chrome and NEVER will be. See the picture on the bottom. On the same page the Chrome has 5 adds. All the adds use the Flash Player and the Curve add NEVER stops playing. It sure doesn't make the page load faster with Chrome plus the memory use is much higher.

2. I like the Firefox Navigation Toolbar with EASY access to all Search engines which I added few.

3. I do miss on Chrome the Extensions, for example the "Web Developer" and many more.

4. I like the Firefox OPTION to automatically clear all the Browsing History, Cookies, Cache and much more, when Firefox closes.

5. I don't like SOME of the Chrome "General privacy" features, for the same reason I don't use the Google or Yahoo toolbars on Firefox.

6. With Vista64 it takes 3 chrome.exe to run the browser and the total memory use is almost always much higher.

Re Point 1. Chrome vs Firefox (re sized desktop picture)

Re Point 6. 3 Chrome.exe process

PS
Just in case you need any of the above to translate, please use Google translate.

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 03:07 PM   #15
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I have never had an issue with Chrome's memory usage because it has always been lower than FF. I actually posted a screenshot a week or two ago re: FF 3.5 in the 3.5 thread where everything is posted side by side and FF had the higher usage and it just kept climbing, unlike the other browsers

Under Win7 x64, Chrome just has 1 process (unless I have multiple tabs, in which case each has it's own instance and you can kill a tab individually through the taskmanager without having to kill your browsing session in other tabs).

I agree with you that AdBlock is a great tool and is not available on the other browsers in the same manner as the extension on FF, however FF also randomly crashes due to flash errors. In fact, it is the most unstable of the browsers that I use

There are many elements of FF that I do like and prior to Chrome and IE8 and Opera 10, I used FF almost exclusively.

However, now, with the release of the other browsers and their pushing the envelope, FF continues to rest on it's laurels. Their announcement of updates for 3.6 and 3.7 is a good sign and is precisely what I EXPECT them to do. To continue to innovate and not just... wait for it... rest on their laurels.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 08:34 PM   #16
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

1 window open with no extra tabs viewing this thread and FF is using 102MB. Whats the deal with the large memory usage?
Old 07-22-09, 09:45 PM   #17
Yaboze

Yeah, FF 3.5.1 seems crappy to me. Sometimes when I run it, it doesn't even launch, then I have 3 of them in the task manager. The other day, I had a 100 meg + session with 3 tabs.

I dunno. Might ditch it for IE8.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 02:04 PM   #18
Heinz68

The reason it doesn't launch is that it didn't close properly the same happens with Chrome. In that case the Task Manager has to be used first to close the Firefox process.
In Vista 64 Firefox starts with only one "Process" and even when more tabs are open it still shows only one process.

The Chrome starts with 3 process (Vista64) and each tabs add additional 1 process. The total memory use is almost always higher with the Chrome. Probably thanks to "AdBlock Plus", add-on option on Firefox I'm using.
Never liked the IE, before the Firefox I was using the Opera. Historically the IE was always higher security risk, mainly due to the OS integration and much larger user base.

The integration also makes it harder to fix the IE if something goes wrong, I did learn that just recently when the 32bit IE stopped responding. I don't use IE but unfortunately STEAM does, therefore I couldn't access "My Games". After I Googled the problem I found out many others had the same problem with no fix around so I had to reinstall the Vista to fix it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote