Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-09, 06:46 PM   #1
a12ctic

Default hard drive clicking

I have a Seagate 7200.10 drive. I've been using it for a couple years now. Its in my computer for media storage, I have a rapter as my OS drive. Anyway, as of installing Windows 7, it will randomly click. The thing is, when it clicks my music pauses and then continues after the clicking noise.

I'm sure this is a bad sign, should I replace it immediately? Could it possibly have something to do with the RC? Like it not accessing the data properly, or is the hard drive on the way out for sure? Also, if it does happen to be out, what brand should I be looking into for a replacement, is seagate still splotchy, I remember problems with the 7200.12 drives?
Old 07-01-09, 07:02 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: hard drive clicking

I would avoid seagate right now, unless you want to mess around with possible firmware updates.

other then that all hdd are pretty much the same, get a recent hitachi, sammy, wd and you will be fine.

and yes the hdd will fail soon, you still might have warranty on it, so buy an replacemet drive, copy over the data and setup RMA, sell the replacement they send you.
Old 07-02-09, 12:17 AM   #3
XDanger
Whaaat?

Mine started clicking / pausing after a couple of weeks with an extra graphics card in, I messed up a perfectly good drive because of not enough power.

What does an in-depth online analysis SMART reading say in Speedfan?

I got this
NOTE : your hard disk has 994 offline uncorrectable sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk Power Cycle Count attribute current value (247) is below the normal range (250 - 253) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was power cycled more times than the maximum number the average hard disk was. Power cycles put some stress on the hard disk mechanic. Sometimes power cycles can be caused by a loose hard disk power connector. Make sure it is properly fastened.

The overall fitness for this drive is 0%.
The overall performance for this drive is 97%.
Old 07-02-09, 10:15 AM   #4
bacon12

I have had two that clicked, and I rma'ed both and they are sitting in my desk drawer atm.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 11:20 AM   #5
Revs

Run Error-Checking to see if you can just disable the bad sectors. You might lose some bits of data but the drive should be OK as long as there aren't too many sectors dead.

Incase you don't know how to do this; right-click on the drive.. 'propertys', 'tools' tab, click the 'check now' button, tick both the boxes and click on 'start'. This should remove the bad bits from the TOC so the drive won't try to access the bad sectors.

I had two Raptors running in RAID0, one started clicking. I did the error check and it sorted it right out. I lost crap loads of data, but it sorted it. The drive has been running for 2 years since with no probs. Hope it works for ya buddy .
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 01:02 PM   #6
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Run Error-Checking to see if you can just disable the bad sectors. You might lose some bits of data but the drive should be OK as long as there aren't too many sectors dead.

Incase you don't know how to do this; right-click on the drive.. 'propertys', 'tools' tab, click the 'check now' button, tick both the boxes and click on 'start'. This should remove the bad bits from the TOC so the drive won't try to access the bad sectors.

I had two Raptors running in RAID0, one started clicking. I did the error check and it sorted it right out. I lost crap loads of data, but it sorted it. The drive has been running for 2 years since with no probs. Hope it works for ya buddy .
I did this for two of my drives, both Western Digital and both getting kind of old. The first drive I did took forever! The second one didn't take too long. I'm going to do my Seagate drive next.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 01:09 PM   #7
shilk

Just got a Samsung drive not too long ago, and they're awesome. Quiet and cool as hell.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 09:51 PM   #8
mullet

I can't wait till the awesome Intel SSD's get cheap.

Old 07-04-09, 05:22 AM   #9
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
I can't wait till the awesome Intel SSD's get cheap.
$275 for 512gb is my price point, With SATA 6 Gbit/s of course.
Old 07-30-09, 02:22 AM   #10
a12ctic

Replaced it with a wd caveir black 640 gb.

Funny story though, I moved it to a less used rig and installed Linux on it, haven't noticed any clicking while playing music, or at any other point. Weird.