Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-02, 12:43 AM   #37
SavagePaladin
info*****

Welcome to 'theoretical hardware problems' with Feanor where I give myself and everyone else a headache

Uhh, hehe, I didn't type that. <runs away>
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-02, 12:46 AM   #38
Feanor

There's nothing theoretical with what has been stated with TCPA hardware, Hollywood's stance, Senator Holling's stance, the language in the proposed SSSCA, the sort of hearings that were held, or the intent involved.

Nor is there anything theoretical in Microsoft's included DRM in things such as Windows Media Player or the like... And there is also nothing theoretical concerning the horror stories many people working tech support run into when trying to get things working with customers who don't know, and some simple things others might take for granted... Nor is there anything theoretical about the fact every user out there isn't necessarily either knowledgeable enough to be able to run a system such as Linux, or that some people do not want to know how things work. They just want it too. And there is nothing theoretical about the fact that x86 is one of the most common platforms out there, and many RISC platforms are beyond some people's budget. The only other option a home user might typically consider is a Mac, not an SGI Cray offering or the like...
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-02, 12:48 AM   #39
SavagePaladin
info*****

What? I didn't say anything.
Old 09-23-02, 12:53 AM   #40
Feanor

Either you did, or your ghost is running amuck. In which case you might want to go chase it down, lest it do something to get yourself in trouble, such as to check the girl next door to see what happened to her tail... Sorry, watched some Dragonball lattely, something Son Goku did with Baruma
Old 09-23-02, 12:57 AM   #41
SavagePaladin
info*****

Actually my ghost is right here, but it talks too much

yeah and I never argue with conspiracy talk because someone always gets offended

See? Damn thing.
Old 09-23-02, 01:12 AM   #42
Feanor

Call it "conspiricy talk" if you like...what one choses to call a discussion changes nothing... One only has to look at the articles such as posted here and take a look at the sort of DRM that has already been released. Failure to do so one could also turn "turning a blind eye to the facts" or "chosing to ignore what has already been written, or the intent of many players so expressed or implied" And there is no "fringe theory" involved in the statements Senator Hollings has made, or that Intel releasing a processor which has TCPA couldn't be described as simply fulfilling what members of Congress has indicated such as when Hollings said...

http://www.theregus.com/content/archive/24195.html

Quote:
"Now where do you get all this nonsense about how we're going to have irreparable damage?" Hollings demanded. "We don't want to legislate. We want to give you time to develop technology."
This is also where Hollings refered to the Internet as a haven of theivery and said "in responce to Intel VP's challenge" "your either with us or..."

You think Intel or Microsoft needs to be stupid to go along with this, or they can't point a finger at Congress and say... Remember, Intel's VP was the only one who challenged Hollings and yet we see this proposal after... There is no fringe theory here, and they can always say "we're doing what Congress has indicated, because we do not chose to make the challenge beyond the words we already said and then got blasted down in Washington for having said"
Old 09-23-02, 10:34 AM   #43
StealthHawk

I don't think Goku was looking for a "tail" but something else

and BTW i never said, implied, nor meant that people were listening to cds quite frankly, there are a lot of people out there who have to have the latest OS, version of Office etc, and sooner or later they will need to upgrade to do so if you get my drift. when that time comes and they can't "do what they want" they aren't going to be happy.
Old 09-23-02, 01:26 PM   #44
Feanor

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I don't think Goku was looking for a "tail" but something else
That is how the conversation went. Son Goku thought Buruma was some kind of monster and she mentioned she was human like him...

But she didn't have a tail so he went to see...

Then again, this is based on the English dub, and though the 13 episode DVD set is not edited as what they show on Cartoon Network, FUNi for some reason didn't give the original Japanese version...

Remember though, Son Goku isn't quite Master Roshi...and there is a reason he can ride that cloud whereas Roshi and Kuririn can not

Quote:
and BTW i never said, implied, nor meant that people were listening to cds
Umm, look at what you specifically wrote in a previous post. Yes you did say ..."including playing music". Not everyone listens to MP3s only and not CDs

Quote:
that's exactly what i said. most people are not high end gamers, they use their computers for simple tasks including playing music
Music does come on CDs you know

Quote:
quite frankly, there are a lot of people out there who have to have the latest OS, version of Office etc,
And quite frankly there are more who do not go upgrading all the time. There is a reason why the T&L Christmas never happened several years ago. There is also a reason why many games released today don't require a GeForce 3 feature set to run... Developers don't release games to require the lattest and greatest for a reason. They know that the bulk of their customer base isn't running with it today...

There is also more then a few people who stuck with win98, did not buy winME upgrade, and just upgrade their OS whenever they buy a new computer (the advantage for companies such as Microsoft to consider the OEM market to be the bread and butter of their sales figures, rather then to consider the upgrade market as more important than the OEM)...

Quote:
and sooner or later they will need to upgrade to do so if you get my drift. when that time comes and they can't "do what they want" they aren't going to be happy.
And if everyone does it, so what? Competition only presents an issue if there is a viable competitor that doesn't do it. If AMD and Intel both do it (again in keeping with what was previously announced though the time is a bit moved up as it goes into CPUs without being in chipsets first for Intel at least given this article) it isn't like people have a whole lot of options.

People have to upgrade, they will have to upgrade, and other options then x86 outside of the Mac really isn't viable for home users. Since when would everyone just switch to a Sun SPARC or an IBM RS6000. Someone want to donate the money?

All them people dependent on Windows, because they don't know how to use another system or locked into software compatibility... Hell there is an increasing number of people who don't exactly gush over Microsoft today. But people's increasing opinions of Microsoft doesn't necessarily matter to them so much as long as they can continue bundling Windows sales with every computer...

Hell from a pure marketing perspective, if a computer comes bundeled with Windows upon purchase, even if someone formats and puts Linux on instead, Microsoft still got the dollars. This is why some Linux users refer to it as the "Windows tax"...

Finally, Intel can say (as they did before Congress) "the customers won't be happy"...but that isn't the entire picture these days. They do not, the law makers and legal authorities won't exactly be happy. Remember the RIAA is pushing for government regulation over the tech industry, and with such push for regulation by one industry over another, the customer isn't they only pressure they need feel. Peeve the customer or peeve the government authorities, hmm... Which battle rather they face. Or if they can keep Washington happy while using PR to try to lessen the responce the customer might give, while doing what law makers has essentially demanded (in the demeanor of Hollings responce) here...

Last edited by Feanor; 09-23-02 at 01:34 PM.

Old 09-24-02, 12:45 AM   #45
SavagePaladin
info*****

I look and I see nothing that has affected me yet, and until it does, I do not care.

It is not a blind eye, it is an apathetic one. Sorry.
Old 09-24-02, 05:26 AM   #46
StealthHawk

yes, music does come on CD, but almost everyone i know also listens to mp3s(i can probably count on one hand the number that don't), and have quite large collections. you seemed to be singling out music as equalling cds and cds only, hence the clarification.

as for Dragon Ball unless they changed the manga and the anime, Funimation edited the dialogue. i seem to remember reading that the particular encounter in question was the same in the anime, and went something like this:

Goku used to sleep on his Grandfather's lap. he slept on Bulma's lap, but notice she had no balls, and said something like "no balls?" and she woke up and said "huh? the dragonball is missing?"