Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-09, 09:38 PM   #1
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Default Catastrophic bug found in Win7 RTM

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15901

Quote:
However, Microsoft is now in code-red panic mode as a major bug has been found in Windows 7's RTM build, one which threatens to kill the OS's release party. The RTM build -- 7600.16385 -- thus far only received by a handful, features a reportedly massive memory leak in the unassuming, but frequently used program chkdsk.exe.

When scanning a second hard disk (a non-boot partition or second physical drive) using the "/r" (read and verify all file data) parameter the utility starts to leak memory like its a monsoon and quickly runs up a high enough memory debt that it blue screens and crashes the system, according to some (others merely report a memory usage of around 98 percent within seconds, but without the legendary "blue screen of death").

The bug has been confirmed on many different hardware setups --it's been verified to occur on everything from a Intel Atom-based netbook running the 32-bit version, to a Intel Core 2 Duo notebook running the 64-bit version, and a VMware Workstation 6.5.2 virtual machine running the 32-bit version.

Explorer.exe, which runs the utility does not release the excessively large amounts of memory it gobbles up, compounding the problem.

Microsoft is reportedly trying to avoid claiming responsibility, blaming the problem on chipset driver issues and telling users to upgrade their firmware. Yes, that makes absolutely no sense, considering the bug has been verified to exist in VMware. However, that's the current stance Microsoft is reportedly taking.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 09:46 PM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Catastrophic bug found in Win7 RTM

Jason Mick just posted a sensationalist article. I seriously doubt we need to give him any credit because he is just fishing for hits.

The entire title was "Catastrophic Bug Found in Windows 7 RTM Build, Launch May be Delayed" and obviously there was on delay so this is neither catastrophic, nor a showstopper (would have been if the RTM was not released on MSDN).

It's just typical Jason Mick "reporting". Go look up some other articles he has posted where he basically makes stuff up or posts fake "facts" to generate hits. He reflects poorly on the other bloggers on DT.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 09:55 PM   #3
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

True, but here's more on the subject

http://www.networkworld.com/cgi-bin/...rosoft-win7-fl

There is a quick fix for it...

Just don't run chkdsk /r LOL

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 10:11 PM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
True, but here's more on the subject

http://www.networkworld.com/cgi-bin/...rosoft-win7-fl

There is a quick fix for it...

Just don't run chkdsk /r LOL
There is nothing wrong with chkdsk /r. Just don't expect to run it AND multitask. It will basically take over all your resources while completing.

As is, I personally don't know anyone who has run chkdsk on their systems since the Windows 95 days.
Old 08-06-09, 10:32 PM   #5
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
There is nothing wrong with chkdsk /r. Just don't expect to run it AND multitask. It will basically take over all your resources while completing.

As is, I personally don't know anyone who has run chkdsk on their systems since the Windows 95 days.
The problem here is that W7 and W2k8R2 share a code base. I'm curious if this bug affects that OS as well. Chkdsk gets run on servers a BIT more than workstations (SMART and RAID monitoring is a bit better, of course). Chkdsk is nice when you want a basic disk scan without having to bring the server down. 95% resource usage would make this difficult.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 11:08 AM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Anyone who is using the REPAIR flag of chkdsk while multitasking is a blithering idiot if he/she expects 100% functionality to multi-task while operating said system.

Further, since this is 32-bit app, running in with win2k8 R2 on systems that typically have far more RAM should not be an issue since you would use about 3-3.25GB tops.

You will note that Jason Mick has since updated his sensationalist articles headline and offered sort of a mea-culpa in another blog piece he posted today.

This is a basic mis-understanding of what chkdsk does and how resources are allocated. I guarantee you the vast majority of people who are calling this a catastrophic bug didn't even know about chkdsk still being available in systems today.

Further, you need admin rights so this is not something a fair few people on their systems can simply activate "accidentally" as there are steps to check off before being able to select.

I'm sorry, but this whole "catastrophic bug" thing is a non-issue. I am pretty sure Microsoft will still update the chkdsk app to change it's behavior in response, but the people who knew how to use it (and use it correctly) will be fine.
Old 08-07-09, 11:17 AM   #7
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

So, chkdsk is using memory to scan HDDs faster? WTF?!

Have unsubscribed DailyTech's RSS feed after scanning that stupid article..
Old 08-07-09, 11:20 AM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
So, chkdsk is using memory to scan HDDs faster? WTF?!

Have unsubscribed DailyTech's RSS feed after scanning that stupid article..
chkdsk /r basically is repair mode. Apparently if you are looking to use other applications and use the system while the computer is in repair mode, the guy who raised the "issue" claimed it was "slow".

The microsoft dev team responded saying this was by design so that the chkdsk repair could be performed more quickly.

This will typically affect people who have less than 4GB of system memory, who have admin rights and who have a necessity to run chkdsk.

Old 08-07-09, 11:25 AM   #9
seeker
AKA seekermeister

Quote:
You do now.
Rig 1: HAF 922, X2 4400+, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe , 4x1GB DDR400, 2x500GB, 1x80GB & 1x250GB + ESATCASE2 w/2x1TB HDs, LG CH10LS20 & GH22LS50, Samsung SH-S202N, Asus Xonar D2X,Creative 5.1, GTX460 SC, FusionHDTV7 Gold RT, Acer X233H, Arris TM520G, Cisco E3000, Scythe Kama, CM RS600 PS,HP 5510v,APC BX1000, XP x64, W7 & Kubuntu 9.10

Rig 2: Antec SX1040BII, A8N-SLI, 2x1GB DDR400, 8800GTS, 1x500GB & 1x1TB HDs, Liteon LH-20AIL and Pioneer DVR-111, Audigy 2 ZS, Creative T20 2.1, Antec 500SP, W7 x64 & XP MCE
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 12:04 PM   #10
Q

Quote:
Anyone who is using the REPAIR flag of chkdsk while multitasking is a blithering idiot if he/she expects 100% functionality to multi-task while operating said system.

Further, since this is 32-bit app, running in with win2k8 R2 on systems that typically have far more RAM should not be an issue since you would use about 3-3.25GB tops.

You will note that Jason Mick has since updated his sensationalist articles headline and offered sort of a mea-culpa in another blog piece he posted today.

This is a basic mis-understanding of what chkdsk does and how resources are allocated. I guarantee you the vast majority of people who are calling this a catastrophic bug didn't even know about chkdsk still being available in systems today.

Further, you need admin rights so this is not something a fair few people on their systems can simply activate "accidentally" as there are steps to check off before being able to select.

I'm sorry, but this whole "catastrophic bug" thing is a non-issue. I am pretty sure Microsoft will still update the chkdsk app to change it's behavior in response, but the people who knew how to use it (and use it correctly) will be fine.
Of course its not a catastrophic bug. Jason Mick is an idiot. I'm just saying there is going to be a small subset of users affected. Maybe.

It is definitely not a W7 show stopper. I can't believe he asserted that the launch could be delayed. L O L
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 12:09 PM   #11
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Quote:
No need to explain.

I have no problem with chkdsk utilizing memory to speed up things, but I have a big problem with DailyTech stupid headlines (thus unsubscribed their RSS).
Old 08-07-09, 12:49 PM   #12
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

/me shakes angry fist at shamrock for getting more hits to Mick.

Bad form ol' chap, bad form.