Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-09, 10:53 PM   #97
Bearclaw

Default Re: Official Technet Thread

I still think it is absolutely retarded that Microsoft made BOTH versions for 7. Should have gone exclusively 64-bit.
Old 08-07-09, 11:20 PM   #98
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I still think it is absolutely retarded that Microsoft made BOTH versions for 7. Should have gone exclusively 64-bit.
As a laptop and netbook owner that don't support x64 I am extremely glad they didn't. Windows 7 runs amazing on both machines, both machines that couldn't run Vista. So I'd be left running XP or Linux.

I have 2 desktops running Win7 x64 - but my other two machines still needed an x86 OS. Its great that you only need x64, but there are millions of computers and their owners out there extremely happy there is an x86 version of MS's latest Operating System. Its not all about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 11:23 PM   #99
Buio

Quote:
It was the plan many years ago, but not time for it yet. Perhaps next OS will be a 64-bit only release, at least that is what Microsoft is looking into (there are news about 64-bit only Windows 8, but nothing is final of course).

Windows Server 2008 R2 does not have a 32-bit version any more.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 11:30 PM   #100
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post

Windows Server 2008 R2 does not have a 32-bit version any more.
yap, maybe windows 8 finally will be 64bit, that should push software developers to finally start making more 64bit apps
Old 08-07-09, 11:35 PM   #101
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
yap, maybe windows 8 finally will be 64bit, that should push software developers to finally start making more 64bit apps
With the high system specs required of Vista there are millions of XP machines begging for a new OS. MS would have shot themselves in the foot to not deliver an x86 right now. Netbook sales are strong and MS doesnt want to miss out on that. Also you now have millions of potential customers to upgrade their OS on older PCs, that Vista would've never been able to run on. Windows 7 gives machines capable of running XP new life, but only delivering an x64 version would've alienated all those potential sales.

I have a feeling x86 isn't going anywhere for awhile. Its not just about the apps.

Quote:
Old 08-07-09, 11:41 PM   #102
Buio

It depends. Maybe Microsoft will offer a different OS for Netbooks then.

By going 64-bit only, Microsoft forces the pace for desktop computers, which in my opinion is good. They already have a solution for Virtual XP on Windows 7, allowing it to run older software.
Old 08-07-09, 11:47 PM   #103
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:

By going 64-bit only, Microsoft forces the pace for desktop computers, which in my opinion is good. They already have a solution for Virtual XP on Windows 7, allowing it to run older software.

With a Google OS coming it's doubtful MS will just give up on selling an OS for netbooks.

Quote:
Old 08-07-09, 11:58 PM   #104
Buio

Yeah, that is why they could offer a separate OS for Netbooks and similar like I said.

I don't think they want to limit desktop PC development just because they have to make Windows 8 run well on netbooks. Especially not if netbook sales slows down.

Old 08-07-09, 11:58 PM   #105
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
for netbooks, nettops and other power power pcs, MS should make something like windows lite version, just like they have windows mobile for phones.

seperate from standard desktop OS, so these low power system doesn't slow down progress
Old 08-08-09, 12:00 AM   #106
Bman212121

Quote:
Considering Office isn't even out in 64 bit yet it might be a little bit soon to completely swap the os.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
for netbooks, nettops and other power power pcs, MS should make something like windows lite version, just like they have windows mobile for phones.

seperate from standard desktop OS, so these low power system doesn't slow down progress
I'd have to agree. Maybe Windows 7 will become their "lite" edition in the future when Windows 8 comes out. It's still funny that every processor since 2003 has been 64 bit capable until atom came out. 6 years later 64 bit is still in its infancy and Intel takes a step backward.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 12:03 AM   #107
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Considering Office isn't even out in 64 bit yet it might be a little bit soon to completely swap the os.
what wouldn't be a issue. 64bit os can still have 32bit app backwards support.
Old 08-08-09, 12:11 AM   #108
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx
@Greg
I remembered reading the information before I subscribed but I can't seem to find it again. Bottom line is one of the biggest differences between the TechNet/MSDN subscription and Action Pack sub. With the Action Pack, your legal right to use the software expires when your subscription does. With the other two, you can legally use the software permanently; you just no longer have access to continued updates and other subscriber resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verncat View Post
This is 100% correct info.
You are both correct about the license not expiring after the subscription period, however the usage discussed in this thread is still in breach of the license agreement, which was the purpose of my warning.

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Can I use evaluation software received in my TechNet Plus subscription at home?

The license grants installation and use rights to one user only, for evaluation purposes, on any of the userís devices, this may include devices at home. Keep in mind that you may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating environment, a staging environment, or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment.
Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...7.aspx#general
The license: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s.../cc294422.aspx

I won't keep posting about this. Just be aware of what you are actually purchasing.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote