Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-09, 12:51 PM   #37
DeusGear

Default Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo Feedback Thread

All these effects could be done without requiring physx honestly. Look at the console version of ghostbusters: effects through the ass and they look awesome.
8gb G.Skill
Win7
DeusGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 02:56 PM   #38
AngelGraves13

Just what for some new optimized drivers.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 03:02 PM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusGear View Post
Double pressing the run button makes batman kinda front flip. I wish some of the effects were on off: I can't see why we cant have static fog and flags/rope hanging without movement. Also since nvidia disabled physx support for ati card with 186 drivers plus it really is making this game nvidia only. Sad thing dividing the market
what you are talking about?

186 is a nvidia video driver, it has nothing really to do with physx. ATI had a chance to integrate CUDA/Physx into their drivers, ATI rejected it, so their customers can suffer now.

there is software physx and hardware physx.

software physx all you need is physx software and it works, but if a game requires hardware physx like this batman game, then of course it won't work.

you only got ATI to blame.
Old 08-08-09, 03:05 PM   #40
ATi
RooR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp View Post
This game has some neat cloth tearing effects with PhysX, also has anyone noticed that the sparks will bounce off of you realistically?
yeah it looks sweet good thing my 4870x2 died and they send me a gtx295

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

186 is a nvidia video driver, it has nothing really to do with physx. ATI had a chance to integrate CUDA/Physx into their drivers, ATI rejected it, so their customers can suffer now.

software physx all you need is physx software and it works, but if a game requires hardware physx like this batman game, then of course it won't work.

Yup blame ATi
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 03:20 PM   #41
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

One kind of weird thing is that when starting the demo, I get a message saying it's recommened I get newer drivers and I already have the latest WHQL drivers (190.38) installed.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 03:28 PM   #42
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
One kind of weird thing is that when starting the demo, I get a message saying it's recommened I get newer drivers and I already have the latest WHQL drivers (190.38) installed.
hmm, i got 190.56 and no message and game performance is superb
Old 08-08-09, 04:07 PM   #43
DeusGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

Actually it does have to do with the driver as physx is completely built into that. With windows 7 pre 186 drivers you could have an ati card and nvidia for physx and it worked perfectly and everyone was happy. Now nvidia decided to lock the driver to nvidia only so ati users are screwed.

Ati decides to not pick up physx (actually I've never really seen any articles on this, anyone got a link?), ok their loss. But why on earth would nvidia lock their drivers out to ati cards when they could be making profit and expanding physx via plug in cards ie 9600 gt?
8gb G.Skill
Win7
Old 08-08-09, 04:10 PM   #44
pakotlar

Quote:
Actually it does have to do with the driver as physx is completely built into that. With windows 7 pre 186 drivers you could have an ati card and nvidia for physx and it worked perfectly and everyone was happy. Now nvidia decided to lock the driver to nvidia only so ati users are screwed.

Ati decides to not pick up physx (actually I've never really seen any articles on this, anyone got a link?), ok their loss. But why on earth would nvidia lock their drivers out to ati cards when they could be making profit and expanding physx via plug in cards ie 9600 gt?
No it doesn't. The physx software is seperate. If you're saying that the new bundled physx software doesnt allow gpu detection in the presence of an ati card, that's possible. Just don't update the physx software. It's not like updates offer anything new.

Old 08-08-09, 04:13 PM   #45
DeusGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakotlar View Post
No it doesn't. The physx software is seperate. If you're saying that the new bundled physx software doesnt allow gpu detection in the presence of an ati card, that's possible. Just don't update the physx software. It's not like updates offer anything new.
Updates don't offer anything new? Mirrors edge had some serious issues until physx was updated
8gb G.Skill
Win7
Old 08-08-09, 04:37 PM   #46
pakotlar

Quote:
Updates don't offer anything new? Mirrors edge had some serious issues until physx was updated
No it had issues that were fixed in the first patch of the game. What issues did it have with physX software?

I really can't imagine what updates could include at this point. They should be completely feature locked, and have been around for years. With the latest software, the main update could very well be locking out ati cards. I'm sure they have some minor bug fixes and things like that though, but that doesn't nec. make older physx software versions incompatible or unusable with new software.

If nvidia is really doing this they're morons. That being said I'm loving the slightly stupid physx effects in batman. I'm a sucker for floating sheets of paper.
Old 08-08-09, 04:49 PM   #47
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Actually it does have to do with the driver as physx is completely built into that.
its not built into, if you download 186 driver, extract it it and inside there is a seperate physx installer (PhysX_9.09.0428_SystemSoftware)
Old 08-08-09, 06:15 PM   #48
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
Knowing nVidia, they probably have a "special for Batman" driver release about to drop.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote