Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-09, 02:31 PM   #121
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Official Technet Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Thanks for the quick answer! Technet Plus ordered!
I will have it ordered by next week!
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 02:44 PM   #122
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
there are two types of volume license keys, KMS and MAK.

KMS requires key authentication server to be located on your network. (KMS keys not available on techent)

MAK = Multiple Activation Keys, not excactly sure how many times, some say 10, some say 100. Most never reach the limit.

All volume license software on technet uses MAK keys, they only give you one key.

for all retail software you can get up to 10 keys just through technet, you can e-mail/call technet Customer Service and ask for more then 10 if you need.

Volume activation software like most servers, you get 1 MAK key that can be activated multiple times
Hmmm...interesting.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 04:57 PM   #123
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
OK, just got my Technet Plus account (with 25% discount)

What is Windows 7 Enterprise?
Enterprise is basically Professional with Bitlocker. We are using this at work.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 05:46 PM   #124
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Enterprise is basically Professional with Bitlocker. We are using this at work.
enterprise = ultimate

Old 08-08-09, 06:48 PM   #125
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
My dad runs a business, so I might just get that one key and outfit his 5 computers then?
Nope, that is not what technet is for. It would be against the EULA to use it in a production environment.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 07:27 PM   #126
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Nope, that is not what technet is for. It would be against the EULA to use it in a production environment.
It's a super tiny private business, we do photography (Photoshop). All the computers are our own personal computers also since it's just me and him. In other words, it's like doing work at home, though there hasn't been any work in 4 months and I'm now working a real job.
Old 08-08-09, 09:01 PM   #127
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Doesn't matter. TechNet software CANNOT go on any PC that is considered a live system or used for ANY productivity.

Even PCs you do work on from home. No dice.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 09:07 PM   #128
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Gonna have to build a PC that just runs Technet software, purely for the purpose of testing. You can't actually do anything with the machine but run the software and "test" it. No games, no email just a machine that is sitting there doing absolutely nothing ..but running the software from Technet. Technically thats all you can do with the software...nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-09, 09:07 PM   #129
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
hahaha!!

So between people who's Technet plus lapse and they keep using the software and someone that downloads off a torrent site... whats the difference?

NOTHING THEY ARE BOTH USING IT ILLEGALLY!!! LMFAO!!
You CAN use the software after the sub lapses, you just can't get new keys.

Also you CAN get the iso from wherever you like, as long as you use a legal key.

We have gone over this enough. kthnx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Gonna have to build a PC that just runs Technet software, purely for the purpose of testing. You can't actually do anything with the machine but run the software and "test" it. No games, no email just a machine that is sitting there doing absolutely nothing ..but running the software from Technet. Technically thats all you can do with the software...nothing.
Yup that is basically it. BUT surely MS would appreciate the testing of a few games for compatibility and error reports. :: I mean it's guys like us that helped MS to get 7 to where it is now. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 09:08 PM   #130
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Doesn't matter. TechNet software CANNOT go on any PC that is considered a live system or used for ANY productivity.

Even PCs you do work on from home. No dice.
OK good to know.

I'll just be testing 7 on mine then.

BTW, the upgrade to 7 went smooth.
Old 08-09-09, 11:11 PM   #131
cpalmer2k

OK I'm about to be a new TechNet subscriber for Windows 7 and Office 2010. I've got one question about the keys I was hoping someone could clarify for me though. My understanding is if I download Windows 7 Enterprise edition I get one MAK that I can activate 10 times (or possibly more, not that I will need all 10) using the same key. If however I want to install Professional or Ultimate I use the "get a key" link which gives me a key. Am I correct that these retail keys can only be activated once, BUT you can again request up to 10 unique retail keys or can a single retail key be used more than one time? I've read posts that seem to indicate both.
cpalmer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 11:39 PM   #132
skypx
Dual Xeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
OK I'm about to be a new TechNet subscriber for Windows 7 and Office 2010. I've got one question about the keys I was hoping someone could clarify for me though. My understanding is if I download Windows 7 Enterprise edition I get one MAK that I can activate 10 times (or possibly more, not that I will need all 10) using the same key. If however I want to install Professional or Ultimate I use the "get a key" link which gives me a key. Am I correct that these retail keys can only be activated once, BUT you can again request up to 10 unique retail keys or can a single retail key be used more than one time? I've read posts that seem to indicate both.
Retail keys can be activated more than once. I've used the same key (Vista) over the course of 2 years (lots of re-installs) and I have never needed to contact MS to get either Windows or Office activated.
Evga E760|Intel Core i7 980X|Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB|Vertex 2 200GB|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB x3|EVGA GTX 480 x2 SC+|LG BH08LS20|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Corsair Obsidian 800D|Corsair AX1200

M6500 Covet|i7-920XM|8GB PC1600|Vertex 2 200GB|Kingston SSDNow V+ 512GB|FX3800|RGBLED|Intel 5300|Windows 7 64bit

Last edited by skypx; 08-09-09 at 11:46 PM. Reason: wrong information
skypx is offline   Reply With Quote