Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-09, 04:39 PM   #1
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Any software to locate memory leak?

I've been having issues with a Vista memory leak on one of my machines for awhile now. Every couple days I reboot it to release the memory. Its gotten more and more frequent that the PC has all 8GB used and the PC becomes sluggish. I'm running Norton AV 2009 and scan with Malwarebytes, everything is clean. Startup apps really haven't changed I run Newsbin on every startup set to watch a hot folder for nzbs. Trillian and no-ip are really the only other startup apps I have on there that run 24/7.

This has been going on forever though - before I've used Norton and had Newsbin setup to start on Windows start. Recently I setup a COD4 server for the guys from work and myself to play at night. Task manager doesn't show anything eating up ram even though I'm showing 7 or 8 GB all used. I've disabled most the services I don't need to have running, the PC runs pretty lean except for the few apps I've mentioned... oh once the memory utilization climbs up there I can shutdown all apps I'm using even those mentioned and it will not drop. On a clean boot up I'm about 1.2GB ram in use.

Intel Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz
8GB DDR2 1000
Asus P5K-E
320GB Seagate, 400GB Seagate, 500WD (all SATA)
8800GTS 320 (latest drivers)

So I'm looking for an application that can detect if there is an application leaking memory. Anyone know of anything?

My other PCs are all running Windows 7 already and none of them have an issue, it's just this one machine. Even when those had Vista on them they never had this problem either though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 05:21 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

nm
Old 07-11-09, 05:57 PM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Any software to locate memory leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
nm
Thanks for refraining from being your annoying self. It was a serious question.

Quote:
Old 07-11-09, 08:45 PM   #4
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

I was going to suggest using Valgrind, unless I just realized it's for UNIX-like systems, so I googled for 'memory profiler windows' and the first result came like this:

http://memprofiler.com/

seems it's targeted for .NET applications so I don't know if it will fit your task but there it is, hope it helps you :P
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 10:29 PM   #5
ViN86

Have you tried the Resource Monitor? It displays all programs using memory and gives a breakdown (better than Task Manager).
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 07:34 PM   #6
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Have you tried the Resource Monitor? It displays all programs using memory and gives a breakdown (better than Task Manager).
Alright so over the last few days it went from 1.2GB on boot up to about 4.9GB. Checked the resource manager, nothing there was eating up ram. I'm stumped this machine will continue to climb. I'm sure it's an app but not sure what as I've tried other FTP software, other IM clients and this always happens.

I'll let it hit 8GB ram and see if anything shows up as eating up memory.

Quote:
Old 07-18-09, 01:54 PM   #7
Zhivago
*BANNED*

In taskman, make sure you are displaying processes from all users.
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 09:05 AM   #8
K007

cant u endtask the process to find out? plus shouldnt task manager account for all the memory activity? or the resource monitor is pretty solid too. if u don't c it anywhere the...u can try running a repair.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-09, 05:09 PM   #9
Bman212121

Try running msconfig from the run command. (Windows Key + R) you can select diagnostic startup. Once you reboot the pc it will startup with only the essential services. If the computer works properly then it's obviously something that msconfig can shut off. If that's the case you can check the startup tab in msconfig and add things one a time and narrow it down to which program might be causing the issue.

If it doesn't stop the memory leak than chances are either a service is hosed or your pc has a virus. In either case a repair or a reinstall might be the easiest solution.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 10:58 PM   #10
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Try running msconfig from the run command. (Windows Key + R) you can select diagnostic startup. Once you reboot the pc it will startup with only the essential services. If the computer works properly then it's obviously something that msconfig can shut off. If that's the case you can check the startup tab in msconfig and add things one a time and narrow it down to which program might be causing the issue.

If it doesn't stop the memory leak than chances are either a service is hosed or your pc has a virus. In either case a repair or a reinstall might be the easiest solution.
This was over multiple installs and I always had AV software on it. I've since put Win7 RTM on here and have no issues. I think it may have been my FTP server software as I changed to Filezilla after the last reinstall. Not sure nothing ever showed up in resource manager eating up that much memory.

Quote: