Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-09, 11:12 AM   #1
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Default Court in Texas enjoins Microsoft from selling Word...

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0090812?rpc=44

BANGALORE, Aug 12 (Reuters) - A U.S. federal court ruled that Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) would have to pay more than $290 million in damages to Canadian software firm i4i Ltd for infringing a patent.

Toronto-based i4i, a privately held maker of software for manipulating documents, had claimed in a 2007 suit that Microsoft knowingly infringed one of its patents in its Word processing application and its Vista operating system.

Microsoft said it planned to appeal.

"We believe the evidence clearly demonstrated that we do not infringe and that the i4i patent is invalid," Microsoft spokesman Kevin Kutz said. "We will appeal the verdict."

The final judgment from the U.S. District Court followed a jury verdict issued in favor of i4i on May 20. [ID:nN20530462].

The judgment also permanently enjoins Microsoft from selling any products that can open a .XML, .DOCX or .DOCM file containing custom XML.
Old 08-12-09, 11:40 AM   #2
PeterJensen

Default Re: Court in Texas enjoins Microsoft from selling Word...

lol wtf. MS should just move to Mexico. I bet the pipe would play a different tune then.
Old 08-12-09, 12:27 PM   #3
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

The patent itself is extremely vauge: Method and system for manipulating the architecture and the content of a document separately from each other
http://tinyurl.com/n3j6td

It could be used to attack pretty much any system (including OpenOffice, probably also HTML/CSS).
Old 08-12-09, 01:08 PM   #4
grey_1

So what's next? That they created an OS?

I'm no MS fanboi, but this is getting ridiculous.