Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-17-09, 03:13 PM   #13
TheBigOne
Taking over the universe

Default Re: Project: Lan theater.

Just notice you are using a car amp KAC-9104D dump it "Very bad idea" that amp does no where near 900w/ch maybe 200/ch at tops it overrated. Kenwood are known for overrating there amps, I know what those FI can do and if you hook up a good amp that can do 500w/ch continuous power or more, you won't be able to stay in the same room, it would shake everything. I won't use a car amp period, they are way overrated and need alot of power and very highend inverter or rows of car battery to power them, then the amp throw alot of noise they are not clean sounding.
I would go with a very high-end THX ULTRA 2 Receiver because they are capable putting out 1kw of power RMS if you bridged the channels, or do what I did get the Denon AVR-5803 or the newer model and bi-amp your mid and highs you can on this reciever and use a separate reference amp to power your subs, it will sound alot better and blow away any car amp. Not only that to but you can use the reciever for a multiroom setup and control the receiver and other amps using 12v or 5v distribution system did for my garage and can control the receiver that in the building, and listen to it outside using a separate amp the receiver just controls the source. Or cheaper solution good pre-amp and three separate reference amp do the same job. you have two many polk audio speakers in the front you will drown out you sound, all you need is four and a good center, and two for the middle. if you have a big room hang them or put them on a stand sound tranfer better
Main System
Asus P6T, Intel I7 965 extreme 3.2 ghz
12gb CORSAIR DDR3 1600
2X 256gb Samsung SSD Raid 0, 1x 1.5tb seagate
2x XFX 4890 Crossfire
Visiontek 650 TvTuner, Sound X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity
LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray, Samsung SH-S203N DVD-RW
OCZ ProXStream 1000w, Case Coolermaster HAF 932
swifttech 655 pump, Apogee GTZ Ci7, MCR220-QP,
ek-fc4890 x2 video waterblocks Antec vers elite disply
Sunbeam 4ch 20w fan controller

Mediacenter
MSI K9A2 Platinum, AMD 9950 X4 Phenom
8gb dominator 1066MHZ
2x500gb Western digital raid 0, 2x1tb Western digtal
1x EVGA 250 videocard
hauppuage 1600 TV Tuner, Creative X-FI
LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray, Silverstone 650w PSU
Netgear wifi a/b/g/n card
TheBigOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 05:40 PM   #14
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigOne View Post
Just notice you are using a car amp KAC-9104D dump it "Very bad idea" that amp does no where near 900w/ch maybe 200/ch at tops it overrated. Kenwood are known for overrating there amps, I know what those FI can do and if you hook up a good amp that can do 500w/ch continuous power or more, you won't be able to stay in the same room, it would shake everything. I won't use a car amp period, they are way overrated and need alot of power and very highend inverter or rows of car battery to power them, then the amp throw alot of noise they are not clean sounding.
I would go with a very high-end THX ULTRA 2 Receiver because they are capable putting out 1kw of power RMS if you bridged the channels, or do what I did get the Denon AVR-5803 or the newer model and bi-amp your mid and highs you can on this reciever and use a separate reference amp to power your subs, it will sound alot better and blow away any car amp. Not only that to but you can use the reciever for a multiroom setup and control the receiver and other amps using 12v or 5v distribution system did for my garage and can control the receiver that in the building, and listen to it outside using a separate amp the receiver just controls the source. Or cheaper solution good pre-amp and three separate reference amp do the same job. you have two many polk audio speakers in the front you will drown out you sound, all you need is four and a good center, and two for the middle. if you have a big room hang them or put them on a stand sound tranfer better

Thanks for the tips. I got the car amp to temporarily push the subs but they do a good good job as it is. Its hooked up to a few batterys that sit outside. My 18s are 2ohms I did plan on getting a Crown XTi-2000 or 1000. but have been spending my money on other things. My subs are already way too loud. They can be heard 4 houses down and shake my neighbours windows. But eventualy I do plan on getting a Crown XTi 2000 or something like that.

I dont have the money to freely spend on pricy equipment. Id love to get something like that denon but for now I have to get the room done before oct because I have people coming over from out of state to see a Metallica show and lan party for a few days afterwords.

And BTW the video was just to show the speakers. my room looks completely diffrent now. Sorry I have not posted any pictures yet. I have been taking some. I have been waiting to get enough good pictures. I just got 3 more executive chairs today for a total of 5.

Also about the power I bought some 10gauge and a 30amp breaker ive already routed the wires have a guy comming to show me how to put the breakers in and check things out to make sure I got it right.

Ill have more info soon. Thanks for the help.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 06:48 PM   #15
TheBigOne
Taking over the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasuCode View Post
Thanks for the tips. I got the car amp to temporarily push the subs but they do a good good job as it is. Its hooked up to a few batterys that sit outside. My 18s are 2ohms I did plan on getting a Crown XTi-2000 or 1000. but have been spending my money on other things. My subs are already way too loud. They can be heard 4 houses down and shake my neighbours windows. But eventualy I do plan on getting a Crown XTi 2000 or something like that.

I dont have the money to freely spend on pricy equipment. Id love to get something like that denon but for now I have to get the room done before oct because I have people coming over from out of state to see a Metallica show and lan party for a few days afterwords.

And BTW the video was just to show the speakers. my room looks completely diffrent now. Sorry I have not posted any pictures yet. I have been taking some. I have been waiting to get enough good pictures. I just got 3 more executive chairs today for a total of 5.

Also about the power I bought some 10gauge and a 30amp breaker ive already routed the wires have a guy comming to show me how to put the breakers in and check things out to make sure I got it right.

Ill have more info soon. Thanks for the help.
I have two of those amps XTi2000 use them with my dj equipment, "very good amp" can do 1kw per ch or 2kw bridged that going to be loud. Just get a good pre-amp or mixer with a good crossover you will be set, don't really need to spend alot of money if you set everything right, you will need the 30amp circuit, good luck with the project.
Main System
Asus P6T, Intel I7 965 extreme 3.2 ghz
12gb CORSAIR DDR3 1600
2X 256gb Samsung SSD Raid 0, 1x 1.5tb seagate
2x XFX 4890 Crossfire
Visiontek 650 TvTuner, Sound X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity
LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray, Samsung SH-S203N DVD-RW
OCZ ProXStream 1000w, Case Coolermaster HAF 932
swifttech 655 pump, Apogee GTZ Ci7, MCR220-QP,
ek-fc4890 x2 video waterblocks Antec vers elite disply
Sunbeam 4ch 20w fan controller

Mediacenter
MSI K9A2 Platinum, AMD 9950 X4 Phenom
8gb dominator 1066MHZ
2x500gb Western digital raid 0, 2x1tb Western digtal
1x EVGA 250 videocard
hauppuage 1600 TV Tuner, Creative X-FI
LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray, Silverstone 650w PSU
Netgear wifi a/b/g/n card
TheBigOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 10:00 AM   #16
airy52

You seem to have a lot of experience with this and I want to do a similar thing, so maybe you can offer some advice.

Sources:
computer
xbox360
ipod

Speakers:
Car subs in a box
Something like those polk 60's

My questions

How would I connect this up for convenience(easy to switch sources, change volume etc)?

I need a power amplifier like and xti2000 or something similiar, do I need one for the subs and one for the polks? Or can I use one amp for both?

Would a reciever be something to consider, if so where would it fit into my system?

Do I need a "mixer", if so why?

Basically I want to know everything that goes between my sources and my speakers, and in what order they all connect in.

Thanks guys!

Erik
airy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 12:27 AM   #17
Redeemed

Sooo... any update? I'm gonna' be helping a buddy do something *very* similar, so I'm really interested to see what you have done as it might spark some ideas of my own.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 12:30 AM   #18
KasuCode
Wiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Sooo... any update? I'm gonna' be helping a buddy do something *very* similar, so I'm really interested to see what you have done as it might spark some ideas of my own.
Im pretty tired tonight but ill put some pictures up tomorrow. Been wroking on it allot.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
Old 10-19-09, 01:49 PM   #19
KasuCode
Wiley

Sorry this took forever. I got lazy with posting pictures so I just made a video for it all.

This video shows the progress of the room so far. keep in mind this is still my bedroom.

Leave me some comments

Check Out
~CrossWater~
Old 10-19-09, 03:13 PM   #20
KasuCode
Wiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
Not sure I undertand logic of having a LAN setup in your bedroom? I have my entire house wired with cat6 and have two 20 amp circuits in the great room specifically for LANS.
The bedroom should not be a public place unless you are Lazer and the public are there for a MANparty
I could use your LAN desk setup tho. Imagine it larger.

The idea is the desks are setup to watch TV movies while everyone having a computer to play games in a comfortable none cramped area. I have a door going outside from the hallway outside my room. I dont have a big house. So this is a great room for me. Wait tell you see my next rig (the one I sent you the PM about)

Edit: My rooms wired with a 20A and I have a 30A wired under the desks. The idea for this room was to try and have all the wires hidden. Like I said its far from finished.

Check Out
~CrossWater~

Old 10-20-09, 05:51 AM   #21
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Not sure I undertand logic of having a LAN setup in your bedroom? I have my entire house wired with cat6 and have two 20 amp circuits in the great room specifically for LANS.
The bedroom should not be a public place unless you are Lazer and the public are there for a MANparty
Do you scramble to clean that up before the wife comes home?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 01:42 PM   #22
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
is that one guy blind? he is like 2 inches away from the screen
Old 10-20-09, 06:58 PM   #23
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
is that one guy blind? he is like 2 inches away from the screen
14 inch monitor?
Old 10-23-09, 09:53 AM   #24
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasuCode View Post
Sorry this took forever. I got lazy with posting pictures so I just made a video for it all.

This video shows the progress of the room so far. keep in mind this is still my bedroom.

Leave me some comments

Looks good dude, what a transformation!!!