Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-09, 03:28 PM   #13
Lost Dog

Default Re: Recompiling NVIDIA drivers after Kernel update

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
sudo is an inexplicable attempt to avoid actually logging into a system for administrative purposes. While it *should* behave the same as actually being root, myself I have never used it . . . . and have never had a problem building a driver. I am not sure what environment gets passed to the command under sudo, and that may well have an impact on this situation. Note that the log does not show any kernel information either. Oh, you *DO* have kernel sources installed, right? Or did the initial install use a precompiled driver . . . . . that might be the package that is being referred to . . .

I suggest either su or login directly as root, and try it again . . . .

- Tim
<sigh>

I know what sudo is the main issue is why is he using nvidia-installer rather than the .run package.

He should try purging his system of everything nvidia related then go with the .run package. Once he has that installed and running he should be able to use the -K to update for any new kernels (although if this gcc version changes at some point he may run in to issues if the kernel was compiled using the different gcc).
Lost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 05:27 PM   #14
primerib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
<sigh>

I know what sudo is the main issue is why is he using nvidia-installer rather than the .run package.

He should try purging his system of everything nvidia related then go with the .run package. Once he has that installed and running he should be able to use the -K to update for any new kernels (although if this gcc version changes at some point he may run in to issues if the kernel was compiled using the different gcc).
Maybe you missed the part where I said:
"There's no Debian packages to uninstall for since I've never installed the Nvidia driver via apt-get from the repository. The .run is the only source for the Nvidia drivers I've used."

There's nothing to purge as nothing was ever installed to begin with except the drivers via .run package.

Thankfully AaronP replied with an explanation of why it's not working. But, according to his explanation, "nvidia-installer -K" shouldn't work for you guys if you really do only use the .run so that's interesting.

Looks like I'll just have to archive at least my current driver version which is no biggie. Thanks.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 12:34 AM   #15
tadawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
<sigh>

Uh, unless I am on a different planet, nvidia-installer *IS* in the .run package! I do extract the .run file first with -x, and then use nvidia-installer to put the release in.

As far as the comment about not having the sources anywhere posted by Aaron, then I must be doing it wrong, but with complete success . . . from an extracted .run, "nvidia-installer -K" works perfectly (you run the command from within the extracted .run . . ).

And yes, I *did* fail to mention that I extract my .run files . . . I guess I have just gotten so used to it I don't think about it any more . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 07:25 AM   #16
reemfz

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions.
I have one more question.

Can I execute the "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-<version>-pkg2.run -K" right after the Kernel update or do I have to reboot my system first and then recompile the drivers using the above command?

Thanks,
reemfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 08:14 AM   #17
Lost Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemfz View Post
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions.
I have one more question.

Can I execute the "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-<version>-pkg2.run -K" right after the Kernel update or do I have to reboot my system first and then recompile the drivers using the above command?

Thanks,
I believe there is a way to do it immediately by specifying the kernel but i always just doing after a reboot...
Lost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 08:15 AM   #18
cdrw

-K switch allow to install nvidia module for the offline kernel only

if you want to install module as ast as possible run
-K -s -N
-s sliences any messages including --ui=none --no-questions --accept-license with exception of error messages
-N - no network checking for a new driver version
cdrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 09:49 AM   #19
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Uh, unless I am on a different planet, nvidia-installer *IS* in the .run package! I do extract the .run file first with -x, and then use nvidia-installer to put the release in.
Yes, you can do that too. Internally, running the .run file with -K just extract it to /tmp and then runs the extracted nvidia-installer there with the -K option. The problem primerib was having was that he was running the installed /usr/bin/nvidia-installer, *not* from inside an extracted package directory.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 03:02 PM   #20
tadawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Yes, you can do that too. Internally, running the .run file with -K just extract it to /tmp and then runs the extracted nvidia-installer there with the -K option. The problem primerib was having was that he was running the installed /usr/bin/nvidia-installer, *not* from inside an extracted package directory.
Understood. I just tend to forget that nvidia-installer ends up in /usr/bin, since I never run it from there . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote