Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-09, 02:34 PM   #1
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default Piracy >.<

So, I need to rant. I am friends with a guy who goes to a college and pays $52,000/yr, buys $10,000 pianos, and $1,500 MacBooks without breaking a sweat. However, he has never paid for any PC game or Windows OS.

I ask him, "Why don't you buy games? You're stealing stuff that you haven't paid to play", and the response is, "Why pay when it's free?"

It's irritating for someone like me who, too, is a student (I don't pay as much due to scholarships and for the remaining balance I'm taking massive loans) and pays for his games to see this kind of crap. And I'm sure this is but one example and that this is happening all over the US...

Have I thought about torrenting stuff? Sure I have. But then I ask myself, "would I rob this game from Best Buy even if I could get away with it?" and I have to say no.

Thoughts?
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Old 08-23-09, 02:52 PM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Piracy >.<

Some people just don't get the concept of their paying for something being the reason it exists... without paying, there is no product... it is beyond them. I don't know if it's shallow thinking or what, but the concept is alien to them.

It's kind of sad.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
Old 08-23-09, 03:41 PM   #3
Lfctony

I think this is a beaten to death issue in this forum. Yes, you have a point, but people will come to this thread that agree with you and others that don't. The same points will be made from both sides, the flaming will eventually begin and this thread will get locked.

Other than that, good games should be bought even if they can be found for free. Bad games shouldn't, those developers should just close doors for everyone's sake.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Old 08-23-09, 03:48 PM   #4
TheANIMAL

Almost every game i have ever downloaded, i have gone on to buy at a later date.

It is probably worng of me but i prefere to buy the game once the price has gone down but i really dont want to wait. So sometimes i do pirate, but you cannot argue that i am robbing the game companies when i do go on to buy the games later.

Legal? Certainly not.

Moral? Its a matter of perspective.
Old 08-23-09, 03:52 PM   #5
ViN86

I know that the OP's argument was laid out well and respectful, but I am going to have to close this thread. And I will give you my reasons.

Piracy is a very touchy subject. Not the legality (the legality is actually quite black and white) but the fact that the two parties on opposite sides rarely have a civilized discussion about the topic. Threads like these (historically, we have had many of these threads) digress into troll havens filled with one line responses and then eventually name calling and constant insults.

I am sorry to the OP. Your argument was laid out very well and respectfully, but I have to close the thread.

It's not personal, it's just how all piracy-related (good or bad) threads have been treated to prevent people from getting out of control.
Closed Thread