Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-09, 04:37 PM   #13
|MaguS|

Default Re: John Carmack: "We have no plans to leave the PC Market"

Wana know something funny? Since he sold ID to ZeniMax Media, he really has no control. If ZeniMax Media wanted to go console exclusive next year he has absolutly no say in the matter.
Old 08-24-09, 04:41 PM   #14
Sean_W

Well, they could make plans to leave the PC market tomorrow, so that statement means absolutely nothing.

If they did start to make plans tomorrow, they wouldn't be lying to you with that statement.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 04:50 PM   #15
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Wana know something funny? Since he sold ID to ZeniMax Media, he really has no control. If ZeniMax Media wanted to go console exclusive next year he has absolutly no say in the matter.
That's absolutely not true. This isn't the Empire. It's a business, and a collaboration. The people at Id have enough clout and mobility to be able to dictate their own projects to a great extent I'm sure. Anyways, Id certainly negotiated clauses in their purchase agreement which would prevent Zenimax from using them like this, and there are most likely certain contingency clauses to allow them seperation from Zenimax [after paying back the purchase #] in the event of creative or collaborative conflict of interest. ID doesn't have to do anything they don't want to do. There are a million publishers who would love to back them; they are still relevant, but more importantly carry respect and highly influential, marketable intangible assets, which Zenimax does not own.
Old 08-24-09, 05:01 PM   #16
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well, they could make plans to leave the PC market tomorrow, so that statement means absolutely nothing.

If they did start to make plans tomorrow, they wouldn't be lying to you with that statement.
This is another consideration. Business announcements today, while they may follow yesterday's precedent, tomorrow could forge a new path, shift their business strategy. Carmack was also a strictly OpenGL guy, loved the flexibility, said DX8 wasn't quite there yet, and now it's all Direct X. Good businesses adapt their strategy as soon as there is a better way to be profitable. ID is no different, and this move with Zenimax shows us that. I'm sure if the economics no longer made sense PC would get dumped. However, the chances of that happening are null. There are a billion PC users. Consoles have a long way to go to reach that kind of penetration. If software distribution, software piracy, and hardware configuration complexity issues are solved, PC will absolutely be able to foster better sales. Along side the fact that there are just certain ideas that work better on PC indicates to me that ID won't be leaving the PC market not for any fanboyish appeal, but because it makes financial sense to stay.
Old 08-24-09, 08:59 PM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Even the rumors of RAGE consolization are mostly based on partial sentences and misinformation. I don't think we have much to worry about for the near future...

That said, it certainly makes sense for publishers to concentrate on console, and thus most developers do too. That is just the situation we are in now.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 12:48 AM   #18
Atomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakotlar View Post
That's absolutely not true. This isn't the Empire. It's a business, and a collaboration. The people at Id have enough clout and mobility to be able to dictate their own projects to a great extent I'm sure. Anyways, Id certainly negotiated clauses in their purchase agreement which would prevent Zenimax from using them like this, and there are most likely certain contingency clauses to allow them seperation from Zenimax [after paying back the purchase #] in the event of creative or collaborative conflict of interest. ID doesn't have to do anything they don't want to do. There are a million publishers who would love to back them; they are still relevant, but more importantly carry respect and highly influential, marketable intangible assets, which Zenimax does not own.
Not to mention that if Zenimax were going to force consoles on developers, then Fallout 3 would have already been a console exclusive, Bethesda is still making games for PC, and they have been under Zenimax for awhile, so I doubt they would suddenly try to force id to do it
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 01:45 AM   #19
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

From everything I have read, Zenimax pretty much completely leaves you alone as long as you make a profit.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote