Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-09, 12:23 AM   #13
Kowan

Default Re: Ex-WoW Players Come In

I played from day of release until well into BC.
It a was time sinkhole I don't miss.
Kowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 05:14 AM   #14
Lfctony

I got about one hour in it. MMOs suck, IMO. I'm only looking forward to The Old Republic and will get that if, and only if it resembles Bioware's single player games. I play a game once and move on. Wasting countless hours on the same thing is not something I consider fun. (Just so that I'm clear, I also think Battlefield 2 and games of its type are a waste of time, MP games in general).
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 05:36 AM   #15
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
I think rants have less to do with the quality of the game (IMHO WoW is the highest quality MMORPG out there) and more to do with how pissed off they are that a video game literally burned away a year of their life (and I literally mean a solid year of log in time).
That is a long time. I think it's kinda like anything else though. You can spend hours playing on TF2 or dota or whatever, only those don't have something that meters how much time you've actually played so you really have no idea. I think I play wow about as much as I used to play TF2 (about 15 hours a week give or take, this much I know for certain for wow, and I think I probably spent more time on TF2 even.) but I don't think I am going to look back and say "gee that was a waste of time" anymore than I would about TF2.

I had fun playing it, then just moved on (coming back every now and then.) That'll eventually happen when I really get burned out of wow (came close to quitting once, til I found a casual guild that actually does quite well while spending relatively little time raiding, we maybe raid about 10 hours a week and are #2 on our server, in spite of there being about 8 other guilds that raid 40 hours a week on our server.)

I think you'd only feel that it "burned" your life away if you treated it like a job (and sadly there are a few I know who probably do treat it that way.)
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 08:02 AM   #16
Atomizer

After watching the new expansion trailer(was mainly hoping for blizzard cinematics), it actually makes me want to jump on after the expansion and try the new world out:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de...ataclysm/54775
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 09:03 AM   #17
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
I had fun playing it, then just moved on (coming back every now and then.) That'll eventually happen when I really get burned out of wow (came close to quitting once, til I found a casual guild that actually does quite well while spending relatively little time raiding, we maybe raid about 10 hours a week and are #2 on our server, in spite of there being about 8 other guilds that raid 40 hours a week on our server.)
Funny how that can work out. I was previously in a guild that had a 6 night a week raid schedule, and in 6 nights over the last couple months we fell back (not doing 2 bosses we did previously), and only gained 1 new boss. Other then flame lev, achievements don't seem to be much of a go, and a lot of time is spent farming; as many bring in their alts or whatever and (I was the 2nd top geared guy there at the end according to wow-heroes, largely due in sizeable part to my own efforts after 3.2 came out of grinding heroics and getting all the conquest gear that was an upgrade in a matter of days). It got silly sometimes, like the time we were going back to nax10 (the recommendation for me was uld 25 and ToC 10). We had 7 undergeared alts (some badly undergeared, like still having greens or what not); and here I was as boss fights were taking ages mashing away at my computer wondering what more I could possibly do. This is when someone PST'd me and said "according to my recount, you did 45% of the damage done there), in a 10 man. Now with the 2 tanks also gearing, threat was a real issue (and MD's and feigns can only do so much). You might wonder how this all plays out? Well at most they're doing like 3-4 bosses in a given night (when we're not on old instances running people's alts), meh I'm actually glad that at least for now this is in my past. So for the time, umm dang no new content, again

Now mind you, this wasn't particularly an enjoyable type scenario, that night for sure. And the thing that gets me, is on my horde realm, another guild who considers themselves casual, and doesn't really have a 6 night a week raid schedule, went from doing 6/15 uld (the above was doing 7/15), to doing 10/15 now. I checked up with them... The above went from 7/15 to 8/15 in the same time, but dropped 2 bosses out as some I guess complained "they're hard, lets do something else"...

But that's behind me, as the guild I'm in now, has a much easier 3 night a week raid schedule, and they're clearing ToC 25, as well as going after the hard modes. They used to be ranked 2nd on achievements (though not progression); though I guess some wanted time off, so they're recruiting some new people. It's a lot better actually. I didn't think one would find a guild that could down content, without having the heavy schedule I'd become accustomed to. Well there are some, and it's a bit of a relief... Oh and yeah, I've got a friend I enjoy spending time with and having run with in the new guild; so it's a much better situation all around.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 09:29 AM   #18
Ghosthunter

I never got into WoW like I did EQ1, in fact I never did get into any MMORPG like I did EQ1,

I played WoW for maybe a month and got bored. I think the community sucks, and it is the MMORPG that started all this casual gaming genre to make it easy so for that I hate WoW
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 01:03 PM   #19
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku View Post
Now mind you, this wasn't particularly an enjoyable type scenario, that night for sure. And the thing that gets me, is on my horde realm, another guild who considers themselves casual, and doesn't really have a 6 night a week raid schedule, went from doing 6/15 uld (the above was doing 7/15), to doing 10/15 now. I checked up with them... The above went from 7/15 to 8/15 in the same time, but dropped 2 bosses out as some I guess complained "they're hard, lets do something else"...
I hated being in guilds like that. The second I hear somebody say that it just makes me cringe. If every encounter was easy you wouldn't even really have a game. A lot of people only play the game for the loot which is just stupid, and when getting the loot is too hard they just don't want to do it. Up until last night I think I went like two months without getting any loot and it didn't really bother me. (Got really lucky last night, did yogg with only one keeper for our first time ever and the best in slot (for ulduar) feral polearm happened to drop.)
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 08:41 PM   #20
Atomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
I never got into WoW like I did EQ1, in fact I never did get into any MMORPG like I did EQ1,

I played WoW for maybe a month and got bored. I think the community sucks, and it is the MMORPG that started all this casual gaming genre to make it easy so for that I hate WoW
Pretty much right with you on that, though making the UI streamlined and easy to use is one thing I like about modern MMOs, other then that they are missing the freedom that EQ1 had(and before anyone responds, no im not talking about being able to fly around on mounts, thats only a small portion of freedom)
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-09, 08:00 AM   #21
prosup

Angry Re: Ex-WoW Players Come In

I spent a couple of years playing WOW and so many things suck in there but suffice it to say. It is going to end badly and be a waste of time and money. Stay out and spend your money on a hobby that has a chance of being fun in the long run.
My biggest objection about WOW is they have designed a time trap and found a way to play on goal oriented goofy rewards and capitalized on peoples worst traits and all the time frustrating players with crappy rules to waste your time flying and waiting for everything. My last day I spoke to another player like me and he also said the champion jousting quest in argent tournament is rediculous it cheats taking your fight out of the ring and then saying stay in the ring and a bunch of other cheating to make trying to win bad enough to hate it and how is that fun?
prosup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 06:10 PM   #22
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

I played WoW on and off for a while, I took a year break before 2nd expansion, then took another long 8 month break once my work picked up and spent more time with my girl, I came back for 3rd expansion but got bored after 2 months and quit. Thinking back on it, I only really played with friends, if they werent playing the game I probably would have quit after the first year. Im trying out Aion right now, but I dont see myself playing it pass the initial month. MMO now days are just too boring with the same old quest system.
Old 10-09-09, 04:17 AM   #23
K007

Yea..it had a huge effect on me...i was hooked and whats funny is that this was my first MMO.

I was playing 15-20 hours a day / 7 days a week and maintenance night = my good night sleeps.

If anyone played the early wow time 1-60 days, i was hooked on the honor grind, ended up doing 2 characters to HWL.

TBC and by near the end of TBC i managed to get out it...got back with WoTLK but more casual play style. Now i havn't played in about 4-5 months...mainly due to the fact that the game just dried out on me...

but man...i lost contact with all my friends...getting back on track was hard.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 05:50 PM   #24
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
I think rants have less to do with the quality of the game (IMHO WoW is the highest quality MMORPG out there) and more to do with how pissed off they are that a video game literally burned away a year of their life (and I literally mean a solid year of log in time).

I got to around 24 days of play time myself before I called it quits.
24? That's all? Try 100+ days and tack on a month of straight playing during open beta, that's when I decided enough was enough, got too time consuming. And plus having to raid to get any decent armor was the pits, no one wanted a hunter, and the only 3 or 4 guilds doing top end stuff would never accept me. Even when friends got in, so that's when I said the hell with the game.

Haven't installed it since!
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote