Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-03, 07:49 AM   #1
tuuw

Default Twinview/TV out tip

Heres a tip for those of you that may be having difficulty getting a a dual head setup running with your geforce4 card.

My card is a Geforce4 440MX with DVI/VGA/TV outputs.

Firstly let me explain the problem I had.
- X ran fine using VGA out.
- X ran fine using TV out.
- Getting VGA output and TV output at the same time refused to work under any circumstances (even under MS Windows).

I was fairly sure that this was a hardware issue rather than a driver issue seeing as it seemed to be OS independent.

I searched the internet for days trying to find a solution to this problem but drew a blank. I did discover that I was not the only one having this problem however.

I a final act of desperation I decided to plug the VGA monitor into the DVI output of the card using a DVI-VGA adaptor. This solved the problem imediately.

So it would seem that for certain Geforce4 cards with DVI/VGA/TV outputs it is not possible to get the VGA output and the TV output running at the same time. I guess that the DVI output must be bound to 1 channel of the GPU and the VGA and TV outputs bound to the other channel via some kind of multiplexer?

Has anyone else come across this problem?
tuuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 01:34 PM   #2
ricercar
fugue master

Default NVIDIA TV out 101

TV output is on DAC B of a dual DAC NVIDIA GPU. Only the display connected to DAC A may be used simultaneously with DAC B.

Some manufacturers use this configuration
- DAC A = DVI connector
- DAC B = VGA + TV
Other manufacturers use this confiuguration
- DAC A = VGA connector
- DAC B = DVI + TV

In your situation, it seems clear that the DVI connector is on DAC A and the TV and VGA connectors are on DAC B.

Your conclusion that it is a hardware issue is exactly correct. That particular video card hardware is not able to output to TV and VGA at the same time. TV and DVI is your only dual-display option, regardless of the OS.
Old 07-29-03, 09:01 PM   #3
daborg69

Default It works

Just what I needed. Now I can go to the hospital to get my bleeding head looked at. I was about to give up on this. But this describes exactly what was driving me nuts. I could get one or the other to work, but never both at the same time.

Now. One more issue. On the tv output there are two bars, one dark, one light in color, each about 1/10 or so of the height of the screen, they are scrolling. Very distracting, hopefully something simple. They appear from the turning on of the computer all the way into X and never go away. Probably a frequency thing, but I am unsure how to fix just yet. Some more googling I guess...

Thanks alot for this.

By the way for those future searches I have an Asus V9180 TD GeForce 440 8xAGP card with 64 MB. You need to hook the monitor up to the DVI output and the TV to the tv output. ConnectedMonitors ="crt,tv"
daborg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 09:36 PM   #4
ricercar
fugue master

Default Re: It works

This isn't really a Linux problem, but I'll give it a go.

Quote:
Originally posted by daborg69
On the tv output there are two bars, one dark, one light in color, each about 1/10 or so of the height of the screen, they are scrolling.
Two guesses
(1) This may be a cabling problem, curable by tightening connectors, by shortening cable lengths, or by buying better cables.
(2) This may be a timing/interference problem from CRT screens that are too close together. If your TV with the scrolling lines is next to another CRT (TV or monitor) move them apart to see if this cures the problem.
Old 10-04-03, 03:29 AM   #5
goofee

Thank you guys! This saved my day!

Goofee
goofee is offline   Reply With Quote