Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-09, 03:00 PM   #1
thomash72

Default Driver does not recognize TV. 'Detect Displays' button does not work

I've just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my new Asrock ION 330. But Ubuntu/Nvidia does not seem to recognize my TV when connected with VGA. My Panasonic PV-70 only support 1:1 pixel mapping on VGA (HDMI results in serious overscan). In NVIDIA control panel the screen is set to 'CRT-0 (CRT 0 on GPU 0)', and the screen resolution is set to 640x480. Pressing the 'Detect Display' button does not work - no results. I have no options to change any settings. The NVIDIA driver version is 185.18.36. Before installing this new driver I had the same problems with the .31 driver. PS: The system correctly picks up my computer monitor - it is only when I connect to my TV that these problems occur. Any proposals ? Thank you!
thomash72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 11:47 PM   #2
ddm123

Default Re: Driver does not recognize TV. 'Detect Displays' button does not work

I have the same problem (I think) with 185.18.36, as well as 185.18.31 and 190.18. 185.18.14 works fine with the same exact configuration. I have 190.18 working fine on a different computer with a DVI -> LCD.

Wouldn't be a big deal, but this computer is my media center and I won't be getting a HDTV for at least a few more months. 180.18.14 works sufficiently, but I'd like to figure out why these recent drivers won't work. (They didn't work when the computer was 32-bit either)

No signal is received by the CRT as soon as the X server starts up.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (37.4 KB, 148 views)
ddm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 01:49 AM   #3
thomash72

Default Re: Driver does not recognize TV. 'Detect Displays' button does not work

OK thank you for this information - I think I'll try the 180.18.14 then to see if this helps.
As a Linux newbie, can someone please help me a bit:
1. Where can I find the 180.18.14 driver ?
2. How to I install this driver. Do I first need to uninstall the existing 185.18.36 driver ? If someone could provide me with the exact command line to run in order to perform this rollback, I will be very grateful!
3. How do I create a debug log? I would like to submit a debug log so that maybe my problem can be fixed in a future version of the driver...

Thanks!
Old 08-24-09, 11:47 AM   #4
thomash72

Update:
1. I have found and downloaded the 185.18.14 driver
2. I am still a bit unsure on how to perform the install since I need to uninstall the newer driver. I have found various proposal. Will continue to investigate...
3. Found information on this after searching this forum.
Old 08-25-09, 04:40 PM   #5
thomash72

Update: Did a complete reinstall of Ubuntu and installed the 185.18.14 driver following this guide: http://stringofthoughts.wordpress.co...ers-in-ubuntu/
Driver installed successfully, but still the "detect display" button does not work and I'm stuck with 640 x 480 resolution
Any other proposals, or does this seem like an usolvable case?
Old 08-26-09, 01:05 AM   #6
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomash72 View Post
Update: Did a complete reinstall of Ubuntu and installed the 185.18.14 driver following this guide: http://stringofthoughts.wordpress.co...ers-in-ubuntu/
Driver installed successfully, but still the "detect display" button does not work and I'm stuck with 640 x 480 resolution
Any other proposals, or does this seem like an usolvable case?
I am afraid, you might have hit two problems here. The Ubuntu 9.04 should bring up the proper resolution, after your fresh install (which, by the way, does not help at all; but since you did it ...).
Since you did the fresh install, why not doing it again, and leave the NVIDIA-settings and upgrades completely aside. Get your machine up and working with a 'normal' display, some CRT or flatscreen monitor or whatnot.
Install the default Ubuntu NVIDIA-driver through System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. Then come back, please, and attach the full content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to your report.
Once the 'normal' display behaviour is okay, we can start looking at the TV problem.

Uwe
udippel is offline   Reply With Quote