Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-09, 12:55 PM   #1
lmjohns3

Default Blank screen starting X with GTS 250

I just got a new GTS 250 video card (specifically, an MSI N250GTS-2D1G). The card works totally fine on my 64-bit Ubuntu machine using the "nv" driver, except that I don't get any sort of 3D acceleration.

But when I try to start X using the "nvidia" driver, the fans on the card turn off, the screen goes blank, my display goes to sleep, and the keyboard and mouse stop responding. I have to hard reboot to get the machine to come back.

I've been scouring forums far and wide, and the closest thing I've found to my problem is this thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=840499 -- the only difference is, there are no warnings or errors in my Xorg.0.log. In fact, it looks to me like the card is recognized properly, the video settings seem to be detected correctly ... everything seems to have worked, except that the card just seems to shut off at some point without logging any problems.

I've attached my Xorg.0.log file, the video card output from lspci -vv, and my xorg.conf file. On my machine, uname -a says "Linux 2.6.28-15-server greenmachine #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 20:09:37 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux". Right now I have the 185.18.36 drivers installed using nvidia's installer script, though I've tried nearly every other nvidia driver I've been able to find.

I'm pretty much stumped on this problem. Any help would be much appreciated !!
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (8.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: log lspcivv.log (2.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (1.2 KB, 68 views)
lmjohns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 03:14 PM   #2
lmjohns3

Default Re: Blank screen starting X with GTS 250

So now I just tried starting X directly using "startx -- -logverbose 6". The video card does not seem to be recognized properly.

Do I just have a flaky card ? Should I return it for a new one, or get a different model instead ? Why is my card working with the "nv" driver and not with the "nvidia" one ?
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (8.2 KB, 58 views)
lmjohns3 is offline   Reply With Quote