Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-03, 03:32 AM   #1
rondari

Unhappy getting overlay on the TV out ... posible?

hello,

I need xv to use double buffering to stop really bad tearing in my video application.

I want to output this video stream to the TV out on my GeForce4 440 Go on a Dell laptop.

here are my questions:
1) is it true that I cant have any double buffering on TV out? (since having a second output device plugged in means that twin view is enabled and twin view only offers blitters)

2) Is there any way at all, that I can get double buffering happening through TV out ?

any help is appreciated

etienne
rondari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-03, 04:54 AM   #2
Thunderbird

There are (I think) two ways to get "real" overlay on the TV. The first way is to use only use one screen at a time, so only the TV. I don't think you like this way. Another way is to use a different X screen for the TV and the normal screen. At the end of the nvidia driver doc is written how to set it up. When you make the TV screen the first X screen, it will have overlay support.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 04:19 AM   #3
Norman
Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT

I have also read that overlay isn't available on both twinview / nView screens, but I think that this isn't true with certain cards or a recent driver(?). Running an overlay tv application ( DScaler on windows or tvtime on linux ) the tv app comsumes nearly no cpu time and I think that this is only possible by using overlay. This even works when one half of the tvtime window is on one screen and the other half on the other screen.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote