Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-09, 06:27 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Official Need For Speed Shift thread

NFS Shift should be in stores today, time for official thread!!
Old 09-15-09, 06:29 PM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Official Need For Speed Shift thread

As I posted in the preview thread:

Video review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...need-for/55938

Insanely long and detailed reader review: http://rr.pc.ign.com/rrview/pc/need_...319192/109994/
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 06:31 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

time to seperate the preview threads
Old 09-15-09, 06:37 PM   #4
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Damn Nekro you're an Official guy.
Old 09-15-09, 06:38 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

just an time to seperate preview/annoucement threads from release threads. less mess
Old 09-15-09, 06:54 PM   #6
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Bastered finally arrived from fed ex this morning, didnt get to install it till I got home this evening. Been playing it for about 2 hours, and I gotta say I really like it. No cheezyness... its a down to earth driving experience racing game. I got in.. I started racing...most of the time I won (I think the difficulty setting the game put me on because of the first race was "pussy mode" ) , but all the time I was progressing, accumulating points, unlocking minor and major achievements.

Control wise I am using the xbox360 wired controller. At first I thought the default use of the right stick for gas/break was inventive, but the 2 triggers are still better as I improved my lead lap times by double when I switched back.

Sound is amazing, this is the first racer where I can finally hear more then one sound coming from my car, you can finally hear the different sounds made from your engine, camshaft/gearbox, tires, and the game totaly exploits surround sound. The NFS original music is all good but the selections of tracks played during replays (You can apparently turn music on during races too, the volume level is set to 0 by default) sucked hard.

Graphics are real nice and clean, and I guess the tracks were nice and detailed..i couldn't tell because this is the first racer that has gotten me to concentrate so hard on driving and less on looking at the pretty buildings. The cawkpit is really nice and I don't miss my default bumper view much at all. The only issue is if you bust up your front end, you can have a hard time seeing the road. Also some hills are hard to see over. Bumper mode in replay is a nice way to take in the speed of the game though. The action cam in the replay dosnt seem as exciting as GRID's was.

Performance is very nice. I was able to max out my graphic settings on my 8800gtx, and I also used a 2x/2x aa and af settings. Normaly I would be content with 0x/4x (Gotta have that AF, in driving games the road is one huge AF indicator bar) but I was trying to look down the road and see the indicator for hard turns and got really annoyed at the jaggies. Thankfully 2xaa was plenty for me to take away the edge. More or less I was quite impressed with the engine, like GRID it is fairly clean and optimized. I only noticed one issue in 3rd person perspective mode, you could see that behind the car was a super short draw distance, and that building reflections on the car would pop-out.
Old 09-15-09, 06:58 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i was planning on picking it up today
Old 09-15-09, 08:26 PM   #8
|MaguS|

I would like to try it out first, I just hope its not too sim like.

Old 09-15-09, 08:28 PM   #9
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
Bastered finally arrived from fed ex this morning, didnt get to install it till I got home this evening. Been playing it for about 2 hours, and I gotta say I really like it. No cheezyness... its a down to earth driving experience racing game. I got in.. I started racing...most of the time I won (I think the difficulty setting the game put me on because of the first race was "pussy mode" ) , but all the time I was progressing, accumulating points, unlocking minor and major achievements.

Control wise I am using the xbox360 wired controller. At first I thought the default use of the right stick for gas/break was inventive, but the 2 triggers are still better as I improved my lead lap times by double when I switched back.

Sound is amazing, this is the first racer where I can finally hear more then one sound coming from my car, you can finally hear the different sounds made from your engine, camshaft/gearbox, tires, and the game totaly exploits surround sound. The NFS original music is all good but the selections of tracks played during replays (You can apparently turn music on during races too, the volume level is set to 0 by default) sucked hard.

Graphics are real nice and clean, and I guess the tracks were nice and detailed..i couldn't tell because this is the first racer that has gotten me to concentrate so hard on driving and less on looking at the pretty buildings. The cawkpit is really nice and I don't miss my default bumper view much at all. The only issue is if you bust up your front end, you can have a hard time seeing the road. Also some hills are hard to see over. Bumper mode in replay is a nice way to take in the speed of the game though. The action cam in the replay dosnt seem as exciting as GRID's was.

Performance is very nice. I was able to max out my graphic settings on my 8800gtx, and I also used a 2x/2x aa and af settings. Normaly I would be content with 0x/4x (Gotta have that AF, in driving games the road is one huge AF indicator bar) but I was trying to look down the road and see the indicator for hard turns and got really annoyed at the jaggies. Thankfully 2xaa was plenty for me to take away the edge. More or less I was quite impressed with the engine, like GRID it is fairly clean and optimized. I only noticed one issue in 3rd person perspective mode, you could see that behind the car was a super short draw distance, and that building reflections on the car would pop-out.

thx for the review. I might get it. too much came out today.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 08:31 PM   #10
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

i cant wait to pick this up... it might just be the only good racing game on pc in a very long time
BFG GTX 280 OC2 1GB @ 729/1512/2538
Dell 2405FPW 24"
3DMark: Vantage - P15397 | 06 - 18734
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 08:57 PM   #11
shilk

Damn, thanks jeffmd. Nice and concise post about the game.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 09:22 PM   #12
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I have it. I picked it up today.

I have to say, this SLAUGHTERS Grid. It is SO good, it's "almost" a sim. But not quite. You have even have to rev match (blips) on downshifts. I really like this. There is no more BROWN piss filter!

a couple Cons, though.

When getting up to high speed (even with motion blur OFF), the c0-ckpit blurs out.
Damage is STILL only cosmetic. You can ram a car into oblivion, and can still run wide open. The screen will blur out, and will turn black & white, but you can still drive it.

I'm currently upto level 9/50.

I was hoping for some kind of open wheel, but this is fun. The first NFS I got was Underground 1. and every subsequent version. This blows them all away.

Current setup is Phenom II 955/GTX260/4GB Ram
I can run it wide open as far as my monitor goes. 1920x1440 8xAA/16xAF (with 15 cars).

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote