Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-09, 04:04 PM   #1
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck
Default Windows XP SP3

Here is my situation. My uncle and his family have two PC's running XP Home Edition x86. These are both pre-built PC's with OEM keys. I reformatted the laptop with XP Pro using my key because I couldn't get the Home Edition to work properly. The desktop really needs a reformat as it hasn't been taken care of in years. My question is, what version off of Technet would work with the OEM keys? The version I had tried needed the multilicense key to even continue the installation. Preferably I would like the one with SP3, but if that isn't possible, he SP2 one is fine. This is the link I am looking at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...aspx?pv=36:350
Old 09-17-09, 04:06 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Windows XP SP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuck View Post
Here is my situation. My uncle and his family have two PC's running XP Home Edition x86. These are both pre-built PC's with OEM keys. I reformatted the laptop with XP Pro using my key because I couldn't get the Home Edition to work properly. The desktop really needs a reformat as it hasn't been taken care of in years. My question is, what version off of Technet would work with the OEM keys? The version I had tried needed the multilicense key to even continue the installation. Preferably I would like the one with SP3, but if that isn't possible, he SP2 one is fine. This is the link I am looking at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...aspx?pv=36:350
For certain PC manufacturers, you need the OEM disc from them. Such manufacturers are Dell, Lenovo, etc. Typically you can't purchase these discs and need to get them through, umm, let's say non-conventional means.

What are the brands of your laptop and desktop?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 04:22 PM   #3
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
The OEM version is NOT on that Technet page. Every single XP Home version they list says retail. Your OEM will not work with the retail version of Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
For certain PC manufacturers, you need the OEM disc from them. Such manufacturers are Dell, Lenovo, etc. Typically you can't purchase these discs and need to get them through, umm, let's say non-conventional means.

What are the brands of your laptop and desktop?
No you don't.

If you have an OEM key sticker you can always use the OEM disk from Microsoft. If you have a real MS XP Home OEM disk and an XP Home sticker and it still isn't working you are typing the key in wrong.
Old 09-17-09, 04:28 PM   #4
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck

Both are Dell's. So this is something they changed in Vista then as I am able to use my OEM key with the Vista SP2 off of Technet just fine. My OEM disk is XP Pro SP2 so I cannot use, already tried .
Old 09-17-09, 04:30 PM   #5
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Both are Dell's. So this is something they changed in Vista then as I am able to use my OEM key with the Vista SP2 off of Technet just fine. My OEM disk is XP Pro SP2 so I cannot use, already tried .
Yeah that's because it's Pro.

What you need is an XP Home OEM cd, which is unfortunately not on that page as far as I can tell.
Old 09-17-09, 05:48 PM   #6
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
The OEM version is NOT on that Technet page. Every single XP Home version they list says retail. Your OEM will not work with the retail version of Home.

No you don't.

If you have an OEM key sticker you can always use the OEM disk from Microsoft. If you have a real MS XP Home OEM disk and an XP Home sticker and it still isn't working you are typing the key in wrong.
Standard OEM discs won't work with the key provided on many machines, including Dell and my T42.

Ask CaptN, he had a similar issue not too long ago. Tried to use an OEM Home disc to do a clean install on a Dell. Used the key on the machine and it didn't work.
Old 09-17-09, 05:51 PM   #7
ViN86

Quote:
Check your PM's.
Old 09-17-09, 06:16 PM   #8
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Standard OEM discs won't work with the key provided on many machines, including Dell and my T42.

Ask CaptN, he had a similar issue not too long ago. Tried to use an OEM Home disc to do a clean install on a Dell. Used the key on the machine and it didn't work.
Over the course of a year I do several hundred windows loads on customers computers. I have been in business for 5 years now. That's easily 1200+ windows installs. For 3 years before opening Apogee I worked somewhere else with a comparable work load. So I feel I can easily lay claim to over 1500 windows loads. Not once have I had an issue using an OEM key with an OEM disk.

For ALL Dell's, HP's, Compaq's, etc. I use the same XP Home OEM disk with their key. If it's Pro I use the Pro OEM disk.

There is no magic. OEM sticker = OEM disk.

I am willing to bet what you're using aren't OEM OS disks.

When you're installing XP from an OEM disk the product key screen will look like this:

When you're installing XP from a RETAIL disk the product key screen will look like this:

The VAST majority of "OEM" XP iso files that can be downloaded from bit torrent sites are in fact retail versions.

Which of the two does your supposed OEM disk look like during the install?

Old 09-17-09, 06:36 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Over the course of a year I do several hundred windows loads on customers computers. I have been in business for 5 years now. That's easily 1200+ windows installs. For 3 years before opening Apogee I worked somewhere else with a comparable work load. So I feel I can easily lay claim to over 1500 windows loads. Not once have I had an issue using an OEM key with an OEM disk.

For ALL Dell's, HP's, Compaq's, etc. I use the same XP Home OEM disk with their key. If it's Pro I use the Pro OEM disk.

There is no magic. OEM sticker = OEM disk.

I am willing to bet what you're using aren't OEM OS disks.

When you're installing XP from an OEM disk the product key screen will look like this:

When you're installing XP from a RETAIL disk the product key screen will look like this:

The VAST majority of "OEM" XP iso files that can be downloaded from bit torrent sites are in fact retail versions.

Which of the two does your supposed OEM disk look like during the install?
I didn't do it. I said CaptN had the problem. He had a Home OEM disc and it wouldn't accept the Dell OEM key. I could be wrong, I am just going off what I saw CaptNKILL go through.
Old 09-17-09, 07:42 PM   #10
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
I didn't do it. I said CaptN had the problem. He had a Home OEM disc and it wouldn't accept the Dell OEM key. I could be wrong, I am just going off what I saw CaptNKILL go through.
You sure made it sound like you were speaking with the voice of experience in this post:

Quote:
Also for the record if you're speaking of a Thinkpad T42, I can guarandamntee that a standard OEM disk of the kind that matches the sticker on the bottom of the pc will install on that laptop. I know I buy used T42's by the skid-load from a supplier in Mississauga Ontario.
Old 09-17-09, 08:11 PM   #11
ViN86

Quote:
You sure made it sound like you were speaking with the voice of experience in this post:
It is the voice of experience. He had the problem and I recommended this solution and it worked.

Quote:
Also for the record if you're speaking of a Thinkpad T42, I can guarandamntee that a standard OEM disk of the kind that matches the sticker on the bottom of the pc will install on that laptop. I know I buy used T42's by the skid-load from a supplier in Mississauga Ontario.
Well that's cool and all but I tried with a regular OEM disc and it said the key was invalid. I had to get the machine re-imaged.
Old 09-17-09, 08:21 PM   #12
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
It is the voice of experience. He had the problem and I recommended this solution and it worked.

Well that's cool and all but I tried with a regular OEM disc and it said the key was invalid. I had to get the machine re-imaged.
Was this a burned cd or was it a real pressed Microsoft cd that actually says "For distribution with a new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC."? (Real retail disks don't have that phrase on them)

It was burned I think you had a retail disk (and this is a common issue), if it was in fact a genuine OEM cd I think you mistyped the key and then couldn't find your mistake.