Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-03, 09:00 PM   #1
sxotty

Default ATI paid 6million for HL2 deal

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11934

You can decide if you believe it, I do.

Was it worth it do you think? Not to be silly that is just a lot of money to be handing out vouchers to redeem for a game at some point in the future. I mean Nvidia could include a gift certificate to EB for HL2 in their cards right? LOL that would be funny.
Old 10-04-03, 09:01 PM   #2
The Baron

We've known this for quite a while.
Old 10-04-03, 09:03 PM   #3
sxotty

I thought the exact amount was in question...
Furthermore I actually wonder if other manufacturers could do as I said and include a gift certificate to some game store to get half-life2 free. Would that be illegal in any way at all?
Old 10-04-03, 09:51 PM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: ATI paid 6million for HL2 deal

Quote:
Originally posted by sxotty
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11934

You can decide if you believe it, I do.

Was it worth it do you think? Not to be silly that is just a lot of money to be handing out vouchers to redeem for a game at some point in the future. I mean Nvidia could include a gift certificate to EB for HL2 in their cards right? LOL that would be funny.
its a marketing deal... nvidia can do what they want.. it doesnt make a difference...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-03, 04:19 PM   #5
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

Hmmm...HOW MUCH did nVidia pay for UT2K3, NOLF2, and TRAOD?

Both companies are marketing.....
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-03, 05:42 PM   #6
Grrrpoop
Wey aye man!

The version I heard is that ATi and nVidia both offered the same amount and Valve went with ATi as they'd already worked with both's hardware and by then knew the strengths and weaknesses of both products.

They chose ATi for the now well-publicised reasons; nVidia's hardware is cack at DX9 shaders and requires 5x more time to "optimise".

I think ATi will see a good return on their bundling deal; most people want HL2 and those also in the market for new hardware know that ATi is the best hardware for HL2 (Valve said so) and since ATi hardware comes with the game... = Profit (hopefully not in the Pants-stealing gnomes sense!)
Old 10-06-03, 02:48 AM   #7
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrrpoop
The version I heard is that ATi and nVidia both offered the same amount and Valve went with ATi as they'd already worked with both's hardware and by then knew the strengths and weaknesses of both products.

They chose ATi for the now well-publicised reasons; nVidia's hardware is cack at DX9 shaders and requires 5x more time to "optimise".

I think ATi will see a good return on their bundling deal; most people want HL2 and those also in the market for new hardware know that ATi is the best hardware for HL2 (Valve said so) and since ATi hardware comes with the game... = Profit (hopefully not in the Pants-stealing gnomes sense!)
The version I heard is that ATI offered a certain amount and Valve asked NV to offer a lot more if they wanted to be chosen instead. As for the 5x more time optimizing stuff, well Toaster reported that there was not that many nv3x specific optimizations in HL2 source-code, so I really doubt it's what made Valve make their final decision.

mrsabidji
Old 10-06-03, 06:44 AM   #8
Greg

Okay, true story time. About four years ago, I was working on a game, and the company I was working for at the time recieved sponsorship from a hardware maker who will remain unnamed. We were specifically requested to make the game run better on their hardware and worse, or preferably not at all on the competitions. Of course any PR from our development house, publisher and sponsors would not mention this fact, and would have denied it if specifically questioned. The amount of money our company received was nothing like what was paid for HL2. $6m is more than most developers make during the life time of a single game not even considering the fact that >90% of games fail in the market place and don't even recover their cost. I won't tell you that ATI or Valve did this or that and is lying, just think about how persuasive $6m is, and the business opportunities at stake here.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-03, 06:59 AM   #9
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

Uh guys... before the rampant conspiracies start (again....) that money didn't go to valve... it went to M$ for the Xbox2 deal.... that's what the 6 mil on ATI's book are for....
jimbob0i0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 07:35 AM   #10
Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
Uh guys... before the rampant conspiracies start (again....) that money didn't go to valve... it went to M$ for the Xbox2 deal.... that's what the 6 mil on ATI's book are for....
That is entirely possible and makes sense since the enquirer article was based on a not clearly named payment entry. (The size and timing of the payment are a little unusual though. Developers rarely get paid up front in significant quantity.) But back to the topic, any 'sponsor' will still excert or be allowed considerable influence. Developers don't usually promote hardware due to the kindness of their hearts, or because someone there thinks a particular product is cool. Under normal conditions, developers try to maximise performance and detail for all hardware to maximise potential market, and never tell the public it will perform poorly on their system beyond recommended spec details. My story was just to enlighten people to the realities of normal business behaviour in this industry and help people to filter PR and news from ALL directions. Please don't just accept my word, unless you've got a backup source
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 02:51 PM   #11
cthellis
Hoopy frood

For reference, $6m isn't THAT substantial to Valve and what they'd be getting out of a game like HL2 and getting from licensing the engine to all that follow. (Who might be less than thrilled to use something they think works poorly for a major part of the market.) As well, I'm not sure if they lose out on profits the could have had for each bundled copy of the game sold, but it's possible some of the cash would go for that.

Meanwhile, what did they do? Write two engines and use the one for the "winner"? It's not like this "auction" happened years ago... what could they DO? Also, it's not like nVidia suddenly noticed crippled performance--they knew what they were running at--they just demanded people ignore anything that wasn't a 50 driver. (While Valve was saying "ignore the 50 driver" while trying to make sure it renders properly.)

I figure the most effect that cash from ATi would have made was just how Gabe's Shader Day presentation came out. (As in, if they took muchos cash from nVidia, it likely would not have gone down that way. Hehe...)
cthellis is offline   Reply With Quote