Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-31-09, 03:14 PM   #13
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: plans for 3D vision under linux ???

We do plan to support workstation stereo on Quadro GPUs using the NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses in a future release. We have no plans to support GeForce 3D Vision on Linux.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 06:10 PM   #14
brainkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
We do plan to support workstation stereo on Quadro GPUs using the NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses in a future release. We have no plans to support GeForce 3D Vision on Linux.
Yup, who gives a fsck about us desktop users, its enterprises and academia where the money's at...
brainkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 08:44 PM   #15
JackieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainkilla View Post
Yup, who gives a fsck about us desktop users, its enterprises and academia where the money's at...
I imagine this reaction is exactly why nvidia devs do not typically respond to feature questions.

Honestly, make a case to nvidia rather then whine.
JackieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 03:58 AM   #16
sherbey

Silicon Graphics were demonstrating 3D with LCD glasses in the early nineties; from memory it was running at 100Hz or 120Hz (ie each eye was still 50/60Hz). I saw it demonstrated and it was pretty impressive, but required monster monitors (for the time) to work well.

What market would buy this? Its either scientific research or gamers I would think - gamers aren't noted for their use of linux and the research group would be too small a market to worry about unless nvidia just wanted the kudos. I would seriously doubt that there is some nvidia lock-in with microsoft; if there was they wouldn't be offering accelerated graphics drivers for linux at all, and they certainly wouldn't have developed VDPAU.
sherbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 08:45 AM   #17
29a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbey View Post
What market would buy this? Its either scientific research or gamers I would think - gamers aren't noted for their use of linux and the research group would be too small a market to worry about unless nvidia just wanted the kudos. I would seriously doubt that there is some nvidia lock-in with microsoft; if there was they wouldn't be offering accelerated graphics drivers for linux at all, and they certainly wouldn't have developed VDPAU.
Who uses linux... geeks. And geeks love their gadgets and toys, and 3D Glasses do also fall in that category. I think there are quite a few early adopters in the linux community.

But Quadros are too expensive to be used as toys. I think real quad buffered 3d with a Geforce would be of interest to Linux users. But of course then there would be only little incentive to buy the quadros anymore so I'm afraid nvidia won't do this.

Thanks for the answer anyway!

Cheers,
Jonas
29a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 04:26 AM   #18
Licaon

(on Windows ) iZ3D drivers have a quad-buffer emulation thing so that it can render 3D stereo for OpenGL apps, and it works fine, at least for anaglyph ( that's what i'm using ), but its overall performance is way below the nVidia 3D driver unfortunately

now, if someone could ressurect StereoGL
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 06:18 AM   #19
DanBau

having a stereo solution that works under linux is an absolute must for 3d developers, and i can't understand why nvidia seems to neglect its linux customers here. So what options do we really have to get a working stereo opengl rendering?
DanBau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 12:31 PM   #20
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBau View Post
having a stereo solution that works under linux is an absolute must for 3d developers, and i can't understand why nvidia seems to neglect its linux customers here. So what options do we really have to get a working stereo opengl rendering?
Buy a quadro...
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-09, 11:02 AM   #21
cbar213

Quote:
We do plan to support workstation stereo on Quadro
GPUs using the NVIDIA 3D Vision glasses in a future release. We have no
plans to support GeForce 3D Vision on Linux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainkilla View Post
Yup, who gives a fsck about us desktop users,
its enterprises and academia where the money's at...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBrown View Post
I imagine this reaction is exactly
why nvidia devs do not typically respond to feature questions.
Honestly, make a case to nvidia rather then whine.
I believe a case has already been made:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...35&postcount=4

This would indicate to me that all customers are NOT treated equally.
cbar213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 06:28 AM   #22
Peper

Quote:
We have no plans to support GeForce 3D Vision on Linux.
What would be a reason for that?
Peper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 12:33 PM   #23
robovid

Quote:
Having already bought the GeForce 3D Vision glasses specifically for use on linux I want to confirm that we have two options for scientific 3d imaging on linux using Nvidia products.

1) At some point in the future once the drivers are released, buy a Quadro and we should be able to use the same glasses as opposed to some Quadro 3D Vision glasses.

2) Write our own drivers, which considering how the 3D Vision glasses work may well require a Quadro to work.
robovid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 08:46 AM   #24
petersik

Dear AaronP,
workstation stereo for Linux with the 3D Vision glasses would be great!
As far as I understand there is just the USB-driver for the NVidia emitter missing.
When do you expect a first release?

Best regards,
Andreas
petersik is offline   Reply With Quote