Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-03, 08:50 AM   #13
saruman

Thumbs up Ykees!! Works for me now(TM)!!!

I spent a few minutes settings option vars in my XF86Config and now I can switch between VESA console and X just as I used to do with old 4363.

I just disabled dpms and agged the line:
"IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
in my "Device" section.

Neverwinter Nights still present the same problem (flickering tiles in the bottom right part of the screen) :-/

I attach my XF86Config for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (2.7 KB, 249 views)
saruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 01:28 PM   #14
Xero

Default Re: Ykees!! Works for me now(TM)!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by saruman
in my "Device" section.
I just tried it with no success.
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 03:06 PM   #15
saruman

Default Re: Re: Ykees!! Works for me now(TM)!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Xero
I just tried it with no success.
:-( Seems that (1) there is no unique solution to this problem and (2) it is related to flaked bioses which tell the drivers that there are more than one monitor connected (although my card has only the vga connector

This may explain why explicitely telling the driver to ignore the Digital Flat Panel and TV output make it works for me.

Hmmm ... do you use edid for auto-determining freqs? (I do)

Try comparing your xfree86.0.log with mine (from my now working X) :-/
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (32.3 KB, 144 views)
Old 08-05-03, 03:21 PM   #16
Xero

I use EDID as well although I tried specifying them manually as well with no change. I looked over your log file and I don't notice anything different that would seem to cause this problem. I read the readme file which mentions that the nvidia driver uses the int10 module for restoring the console. I tried messing around with the "UseInt10Module" option and putting Load "int10" in the modules section. Both did nothing, although the module does get successfully loaded. When using the tv output the module seems to get loaded automatically and the log reports no errors. My card has a tv connected, and I only get the console switching problem once I use startxtv (which is just an alias for "XF86CONFIG=XF86Config.tv startx".) I've tried messing with my XF86Config.tv as well with no solution. I'm still not sure if it's a bios problem, as if it was, why would I have variable results with different drivers? That makes me think it's driver related.
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 03:22 PM   #17
leibold

Quote:
In framebuffer ... how could I determine that? My OSD info says no useful info about that ...
It should be listed in the Philips OSD under "Product Information". On mine it's the line under the serial number.

Perhaps yours has different (better) firmware ? Mine gives the wrong EDID data on the DVI-D port.
leibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 03:38 PM   #18
saruman

Quote:
Originally posted by leibold
It should be listed in the Philips OSD under "Product Information". On mine it's the line under the serial number.

Perhaps yours has different (better) firmware ? Mine gives the wrong EDID data on the DVI-D port.
I've got no DVI monitor (standard VGA connector). Under framebuffere the only things it says are "1280x1024x60Hz" (75Hz when under X).
These data are from the working configuration: please do not ask me to get them under flaky console ;-)

Cheers,
Old 08-06-03, 03:17 PM   #19
Thommy

Default Re: Ykees!! Works for me now(TM)!!!

Quote:
I spent a few minutes settings option vars in my XF86Config and now I can switch between VESA console and X just as I used to do with old 4363.

in my "Device" section.

Neverwinter Nights still present the same problem (flickering tiles in the bottom right part of the screen) :-/

I attach my XF86Config for reference.
I did this and now is working perfectly

Tnks!
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-03, 04:33 AM   #20
saruman

Quote:
Originally posted by Xero
<snip> I've tried messing with my XF86Config.tv as well with no solution. I'm still not sure if it's a bios problem, as if it was, why would I have variable results with different drivers? That makes me think it's driver related.
This makes me think that it would be a better thing if nvidia releases "official" public beta drivers, available to the "good will" users for testing and for discovering such issues: every new driver seems a "try-your-luck-now" case

(Well I really don't know what kind of release process they use at nvidia, though ;-))

Cheers

Old 08-09-03, 05:44 PM   #21
jschellhaass

You may want to try this Supervesafb from here.

http://www.rastersoft.com/supervesafb_en.html

Jeff
jschellhaass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 03:10 PM   #22
berto81

I got same problem with gf2mx400-tvout (unused) and mandrake linux 9.1

nvidia driver worked fine for some days (just installed linux).
today, doing a reboot, I saw "dirty" chars in console, and text colors more "red" than normal (e.g. pink instead of white).
same issue switching to console from x session.

I tried uninstalling & reinstalling with NVIDIA-Linux-1.0-blahblah.sh, but didn't work.

I saw that using open "nv" driver instead of nvidia, all worked fine.
But, returning to "nvidia" driver, I still got the problem.

Finally, I tryed restoring the old /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, saved in a backup before the FIRST installation of driver (I mean the real first, before having any problem)... Just modified some lines according to the README (driver "nvidia", etc... exactly in the same manner of first install!) and... no more problems.

I tried to find out what was the difference between the "bad" and the backup XF86Config-4... the only thing I noticed is that in the "bad", the Display Subsections for color depth 16 and 24 were missing.
But I still can't imagine how those sections could be deleted... I didn't make any change after the first install...

However, I hope this post can help you to solve.

(Sorry for my indecent english)
berto81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 09:51 AM   #23
the_isz

I'm facing the exact problem.

This is especially annoying since I managed to get a cloned full screen on my TV for the first time (even though many people told me that this wasn't possible in 1024x768...).

NVIDIA, please help! I want my terminal back!

System: AMD Barton 2500+, GeForce4 Ti-4200, Debian (kernel 2.4.22-xfs)
the_isz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 06:44 PM   #24
berto81

bad news... it restarted to happen randomly each 1-2 reboots. d'oh!
berto81 is offline   Reply With Quote