Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-18-09, 07:46 AM   #25
Dragoran

Default Re: proglems with G105M

Quote:
Originally Posted by askb View Post
I can get 1366x766 resolution by setting the driver section to 'nv' instead of nvidia.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nv"

AUO LCD monitor is available in the list of LCD display monitors available ??

However, all the 3D desktop effects and opengl screen savers are disabled or not working ???

I dont know if this is something that has to do as a bug with nvidia driver / kernel or the opensuse configuration ??

attached screenshot
Well you are using the nv driver (not nvidia) which do not support 3D, so this is expected.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 12:05 AM   #26
santjose

The current beta http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606 also seems to have the same 6 screen issue. I tried this on the updated version of arch linux amd64.
Strangely, G103M is listed as supported GPU in the README. Wonder if the problem exists on G103M aswell (?)

However, the xorg.conf twek suggested above works for me for now.

Thanks
Santhosh
santjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 01:16 AM   #27
typek_pb

hi all,

thanks to kevinttl for working xorg.conf.
What I would additionally need is to use external monitor working. It's Acer P223W and it has resolution: 1680 x 1050.
As I'm not that much into xorg configuration, could someone please repost corresponding xorg.conf which would make it happen? Thanks.
I expect to use it as extended not as cloned desktop.

pb
typek_pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 02:12 PM   #28
adaca

Hi all,
this my first post; it's not urgent: I've got an old acer with Fedora 11 32 bit perfectly working already, but you know... I just want to move to this terrific new acer 5738ZG, which I chose because of the nVidia logo on it instead of the ATI one, exactly to avoid lack of support in Linux but...
First try: move the HD from the old laptop, install the 184 and also the beta 192 in it et voilŗ: the six desktops!
So I reverted the HD's and left this new laptop in his box until yesterday, when I saw here that someone managed it to work with a 64-bit ditribution; so I tried and installed Fedora 11 64-bit, the upgraded the kernel to 2.6.30, the I tried installing both the 184 and the beta 192 drivers for linux 64 bit with same result: X not starting, with the log showing that the problem was communicating with the LCD, so no modes, so defaulted to 640x480 (!!!) which the was just too little to display even the nVida logo!

Thanks to kevinttl and his amended xorg.conf I could at least see the logo, only for half a second, though! Then X just bails out without apparent reason at all!
I've also amended the system's configuration by installing acpid and letting it start before of haldaemon, in order to get rid of the annoying messages in the log about nvidia module not being able to connect to acpid; but nothing changes: X just exis without reason!

I'm attaching here my xorg.conf (identical to kevinttl's) and the X log file.

Thanks for any help!
adaca
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (14.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (43.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (48.2 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by adaca; 09-13-09 at 02:58 PM. Reason: forgot to attach the nvidia-bug-report.log!
adaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 07:51 PM   #29
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

When X exits for no apparent reason, typically it's because your display manager is exiting immediately, causing the server to shut down gracefully. Please check your display manager's log file (typically /var/log/gdm/:0.log) to see if there are any errors there. Please also try logging in at the console and running startx to see if you can get into a session that way.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 05:58 PM   #30
adaca

Thanks AaronP,
you were right: no window manager was yet installed!
This was because anaconda (the Fedora system installer), not being able to start X at install time, did not install ANY X component at all, leaving me with a bare command-line system!
I then managed to install the X server, but the window manager was still missing!
Now I'm manually installing all the gnome components in order to make my system usable while, be assured, filing a bug report to Fedora, because anaconda should still let the user to choose whether or not to install a graphical system, even in the "missing videocard" case...
Thank you again
Adalberto
adaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 12:42 AM   #31
typek_pb

Hi,

I'm now curious, is this 6-screen problem the problem in Nvidia drivers or is it only some distro related problem?
If it's nvidia is there someone gonna fix it there?
In case it could be distro-solved, I should report it to my distro probably.

thanks

pb
typek_pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 01:42 PM   #32
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by typek_pb View Post
I'm now curious, is this 6-screen problem the problem in Nvidia drivers or is it only some distro related problem?
If you're referring to the problem that adding the NoTotalSizeCheck mode validation override works around, then it's a bug in the laptop -- the flat panel has an invalid EDID and the driver is rejecting the nonsensical modes that it contains. You should contact your laptop vendor to see if there's an updated BIOS for it.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-09, 05:53 PM   #33
jdobry

Here is solution: http://jens.yelles.se/2009/07/02/dri...geforce-g105m/

!!WARNING!! you coudnít use copy&paste because code in this page contain typografic unicode commas, not normal commas. You must find&replace this invalid chars.

Main problem is that this card is not in support list
jdobry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 08:16 AM   #34
NightSinner

Hello, friends!

I installed the 185.18.36 driver when it came out on my Acer Aspire 5738ZG with the G105M card (obviously ) and I got the 6 screen situation, even though I did everything according to the book. The Appendix said that the driver supports the card. However I was unsuccessful with my attempts. The funny thing is that everything worked like a charm: Compiz, all effects and performance was way better than using my native driver on Fedora with some partial 3D acceleration. The only problem was that I had these six screens. Is this fixed in the 190.42 driver? I am asking, because I do not want to reinstall my system anytime soon I do not know how to restore the previous driver.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
NightSinner
NightSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 02:14 PM   #35
NightSinner

Nobody has an answer?
NightSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 12:13 PM   #36
szamaniak

@ NightSinner
hello, please read carefully the whole thread - everything to do - is to change xorg.conf file
szamaniak is offline   Reply With Quote