Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-22-09, 02:37 AM   #181
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Official Need For Speed Shift thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
To those gushing over this game, did none of you play rFactor/GTR/GTR2/LFS? Shift really isn't bringing anything fresh or interesting to the table.
How about if I said no? I dont have any of the next gen consoles, so my racing library is only what is on PC.
Old 09-22-09, 02:54 AM   #182
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
How about if I said no? I dont have any of the next gen consoles, so my racing library is only what is on PC.
The games he listed ARE PC games...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 09:37 AM   #183
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post

While the content may not be bringing anything "fresh", it is bringing it mainstream.
How? Just cause its available on consoles now?

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 10:30 AM   #184
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

New patch out guys.

"This patch adds two new features: LAN (Local Area Network) play, enhancing the multiplayer experience and Mouse Support, providing full menu navigation through the game using your PC mouse."
Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:12 PM   #185
abcgamer

Arrow Re: Official Need For Speed Shift thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Sure I'm expecting a bit too much but I also enjoy arcadey games like Forza, GT, Grid or Dirt.
But since I've been playing Dirt 2 lately, Shift just doesn't seem right. Dirt 2 does a much better job at car control and feedback. Even with a gamepad (360 version).
GT is surely not an arcadey game

They have some nice cars and tracks in this game. This game reminds me of grid, may be it has slightly better graphics ?. Also I read the PS3 version is not having damage ? and some stuttering issues so if that is true EA have done crap job
abcgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 04:47 PM   #186
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
You gotta get something, right? I feel so horrible if I come back from a PC hardware store empty handed.
Yea... otherwise I feel I wasted a trip... lol.
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 07:21 PM   #187
doom3ed_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
I blew the dust off LFS and did a few laps using the XR GTR around Westwind (sp?) using the DFP. Then I played the Shift demo. Did some laps around London using the GTR.

Mind you I am not a sophisticated sim racer.

The force feedback in LFS is better but it's a subtle difference. Also spinning out feels more natural in LFS. Other than that I did not experience much difference. You can try it out for yourself using the LFS demo's turbo car.

One ugly mark for Shift is the collisions. Those are very arcadey and feel out of place in this game. You can basically plow through cars without any problems. But if you don't go around crashing into cars you won't notice.

Also the damage model is nearly non-existent. Your car is indestructible. You can dent it up a little but a 150 mph head on collision with a wall won't stop you. There really should be an option for more advanced damage.

This game chokes my old GTS. Had to bring things down to no AA and medium track @ 1900x1080. At those settings it looked good much better than current PC sims but not as good as GT5P on the PS3.

Also the replays aren't as good as GT5 replays.

Except for the collisoin nonsense it's better than Forza/GT5 but not as good as LFS/GTR2/iRacing.
is it really better than GT5 / forza ? i don't know , but having play forza , i would say no , different feeling yes, the grip simulation is not comparable.
but where i totally agree is , this title is not as good as PC standard for "drive" . there are nice track , nice FX , acceptable 3D mesh (not very high quality ! ) , but the physic is defintly too far from what i feel with my old school sim GTR2/rfactor
doom3ed_player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 09:32 PM   #188
Roliath

I cannot for the life of me handle the tier 4 cars, I need to tone down my driving settings i guess.

I wish I had steering wheel setup though, c0ckpit view with no hud = sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Yeah it does but that view looks ridiculous. There you can see how bad the physics are with a sliding rear and sticky front.
I didn't notice this until you mentioned it, and I think this is why the cars bounce all over the road when you upgrade them. Is there anyway to alleviate this, or have you given up on the game?

Old 09-22-09, 09:42 PM   #189
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

tier 4? is that like the zonda?

I drive them them pretty much same way as the slower cars. If it has good braking, you can brake late and overtake those AI mofos even if they are really far in front.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 10:15 PM   #190
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
To those gushing over this game, did none of you play rFactor/GTR/GTR2/LFS? Shift really isn't bringing anything fresh or interesting to the table.
Those games are 5 years old. I own GTR2 and LFS. The graphics on those games are dated. Shift brings fresh graphics to the table. It's something sorely needed on the PC.

I did some LFS laps followed by Shift laps. It's not the big difference people make it out to be. (except for car collision)

But there is a huge difference in graphics and sound.

Also, I get the feeling that Shift is really GTR2 with some EA polish and the difficulty turned down a notch.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 01:38 PM   #191
Burnt_Ram

slaWter,

do you feel SLi was working correctly for you? what drivers, rez, and fps are you getting? i'm @ 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF max ingame, and getting around 35-55 fps? thought i would get a bit more ... oh and im using 191.00
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 05:29 PM   #192
sillyeagle
sillyego

What are you guys using for input? I've been playing the demo with a twist grip joystick for steering, up/down arrow for gas/break, and trigger for shifting. I checked best buy and the G25 is $240, so quite spendy. Can anybody comment on joystick vs wheel for input?
EVGA Intel X58