Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-03, 09:19 AM   #1
sebastian

Default How to know what driver to download?

Greetings,
To be honest, I'm really new to Linux and I've just made my first installation of Red Hat 9. But, as I would like to improve the graphics (and be able to use a higher resolution than 800x600), i want to install some drivers for my graphic card.

But, how do I know which drivers I should download?

Here's my system:
CPU: AMD Duron 1300mhz
RAM: 512mb SDRAM
Graphic Card: nVidia GeForce4 Ti4600
Motherboard: asus a7v133

And since I'm really new to everything about Linux, what should I think of before I install the drivers? Any important things I should know about?

Thanks in advance,
sebastian
sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 11:25 AM   #2
jerr

To start, you don't need a new driver to get higher resolutions. By changing your XF86config file, located in /etc/X11/ you can add as many 'modes' as you like. Go to the "Screen" section of the file and change Modes to whatever resolution/s you like. Once you have X loaded, use (ctrl) (alt) (+) or (-) to switch your resolution. (Use the keypad +/- to do this). That particular section in your file should look something like this:

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubsection

If you want opengl support, and further functionality from your video card, you have to use nvidia's driver, which is located here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-4496.html

This involves compiling a new module and modifying your /etc/X11/XF86config file. I would strongly recommend thoroughly reading the README.txt before trying this.

One thing you should be aware of, many people (including myself) have had many difficulties switching from the "nv" driver (limited capabilities - but works) to the "nvidia" driver. So if you are going to try this, backup your important files, read as much as you can about the subject, and set aside a great deal of time for tinkering. You might get lucky and pull it off without a hitch.

Good luck
jerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 11:41 AM   #3
sebastian

Thank you for your answer, but I got it all working myself
I searched around a bit and found out that it wasn't that hard after all...
I now have the drivers installed correctly.
sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote