Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-09, 11:49 AM   #97
arohro
*BANNED*

Default Re: Yorkfield & Wolfdale Overclocking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Hmm... I'll have to look into that.

Is it really a pencil trick or is it one of those deals where you have to have a magnifying glass, some strange conductive goop and an inhumanly steady hand?

EDIT: Interesting...

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=99404

http://forums.vr-zone.com/overclocki...re-failed.html

Looks really easy, but I remember reading about how the vdroop is an intentional feature of the CPU and motherboard.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107986

I'm thinking of just upping the voltage in the BIOS and turning on C1E so that the voltage and clock speed drop when idle. It'd be nice to just poke something with a pencil and then get an extra 400-600Mhz overclock, but it really seems like its there for a reason.

Yes its so easy to do, a few swipes with a number 2 pencil did the trick for me. If you want a good overclock with a quad on a p35 board the pencil mod is almost a must.

As far as damage is concerned you should be fine, I have been doing this for years and its worked really well. Think about it, your CPU voltage will be lower overall because you do not have to compensate with higher than needed vcore because of vdroop when under load.
arohro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 11:50 AM   #98
arohro
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Good luck on your quest Captn.

I still can't get mine to 4 Ghz stable but 3.8 is solid.
Its probably your board holding you back, I have had mine as high as 4.4ghz with relative ease.
Old 09-24-09, 12:51 PM   #99
Dr.Nick

CaptNKILL you sure gigabyte hasn't added the loadline setting to that board? I know the DS4 definitely has it and so do a few other P35's. Also tbh you are better off compensating with additional voltage than risking the board and cpu with pencil mods. If anything sell that on eBay and grab a cheap gigabyte P45. You won't have to spend much out of pocket and you'll be much happier with the results/stability

Edit- You should also push that ram a little more since its PC8500, 1:1 is not the best for latency. I would prefer to run my ram faster than my fsb if I could
Old 09-24-09, 03:04 PM   #100
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

I prefer 1-1 but thats just me :/
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 03:24 PM   #101
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by arohro View Post
Yes its so easy to do, a few swipes with a number 2 pencil did the trick for me. If you want a good overclock with a quad on a p35 board the pencil mod is almost a must.

As far as damage is concerned you should be fine, I have been doing this for years and its worked really well. Think about it, your CPU voltage will be lower overall because you do not have to compensate with higher than needed vcore because of vdroop when under load.
That isn't necessarily true. From what I've read, the board regulates power spikes that can't be detected by any software. When you turn off this protection, either with LLC or a pencil mod, you're basically allowing voltage spikes to occur without any protection. This just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nick View Post
CaptNKILL you sure gigabyte hasn't added the loadline setting to that board? I know the DS4 definitely has it and so do a few other P35's. Also tbh you are better off compensating with additional voltage than risking the board and cpu with pencil mods. If anything sell that on eBay and grab a cheap gigabyte P45. You won't have to spend much out of pocket and you'll be much happier with the results/stability

Edit- You should also push that ram a little more since its PC8500, 1:1 is not the best for latency. I would prefer to run my ram faster than my fsb if I could
I won't be buying another board any time soon. I just got this CPU to hold me over for another year or so until the new platforms have matured a bit.

As for my memory, I have it set this way because its stable at this speed. Latency and memory bandwidth have so little impact on performance that I generally just shoot for a good CPU overclock that is stable and leave it.

Also, this setup seems to be incredibly picky about FSB speeds and memory dividers. I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing stable at anything over 3.6Ghz. Last night I tried using 450Mhz FSB (the same as it was before with my E6750) and it won't post. I tried dropping the CPU multiplier to 8x so that it was running at 3.6Ghz (which is stable at 424x8.5) and it still wouldn't post.

So, if I set everything exactly as it was with my E6750, it won't post with any CPU multiplier or any vcore. Is there some other setting I should be adjusting? Maybe the CPU has hit some sort of FSB wall? Is there any way to get around that?
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 03:59 PM   #102
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

If it is a task to get it to 4 why go for it really? I mean with a 260 you probably don't need it at 4.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 05:37 PM   #103
arohro
*BANNED*

Quote:
That isn't necessarily true. From what I've read, the board regulates power spikes that can't be detected by any software. When you turn off this protection, either with LLC or a pencil mod, you're basically allowing voltage spikes to occur without any protection. This just sounds like a bad idea to me.
Well, all I can really say is that I have yet to know of any one who has messed up their mb or cpu by enabling LLC or using the pencil mod. My old p35 board which now belongs to my friend has been going strong for 2yrs now with the mod.

Quote:
Also, this setup seems to be incredibly picky about FSB speeds and memory dividers. I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing stable at anything over 3.6Ghz. Last night I tried using 450Mhz FSB (the same as it was before with my E6750) and it won't post.
Its your board, I had the same issue which is why I sold it and went with a p45.
Old 09-24-09, 07:23 PM   #104
Dr.Nick

Quote:

I won't be buying another board any time soon. I just got this CPU to hold me over for another year or so until the new platforms have matured a bit.

As for my memory, I have it set this way because its stable at this speed. Latency and memory bandwidth have so little impact on performance that I generally just shoot for a good CPU overclock that is stable and leave it.

Also, this setup seems to be incredibly picky about FSB speeds and memory dividers. I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing stable at anything over 3.6Ghz. Last night I tried using 450Mhz FSB (the same as it was before with my E6750) and it won't post. I tried dropping the CPU multiplier to 8x so that it was running at 3.6Ghz (which is stable at 424x8.5) and it still wouldn't post.

So, if I set everything exactly as it was with my E6750, it won't post with any CPU multiplier or any vcore. Is there some other setting I should be adjusting? Maybe the CPU has hit some sort of FSB wall? Is there any way to get around that?
Nah LLC wont kill anything if used within reason. My 6600 has always used it and has been oced for well over two years now with no issues. Even on my 9650 I've been using it since February when I got and it hasn't damaged it one bit. I wont say the same for pencil mods; you are better off putting a small adjustable resistor on there instead as you will have far better control over it (I did it on my A64 Epox board back in the day).
As for oc'ing do you have any CPU PLL or CPU/FSB Termination voltage settings? They are the make or break of oc settings imho. As for fsb walls, I hit mine at around 460 and the setting that made everything all better was the Static Tread. Once I bumped it up one notch I hit a whole new level of stability(board was defaulting to 8 and I bumped it to 9). I only wish I had faster ram, my PC8000 is holding me back big time.

Old 09-24-09, 07:59 PM   #105
betterdan

What is this static tread setting? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in my bios.
Old 09-24-09, 09:06 PM   #106
Dr.Nick

You might not have it because it's a ddr3 board. On mine its in M.I.T/Dram advanced timing control/Channel A (and channel B below it) settings/Static tRead value. If you do find it is definitely worth messing with
Old 09-24-09, 09:29 PM   #107
betterdan

Ok I'll check. I know I have those Channel A and Channel B sections. Also what should I change my CPU/FSB termination voltage to?
Old 09-24-09, 10:09 PM   #108
betterdan

Tried those Tread settings (bumped them up to 9 from 8) and it wouldn't boot into Windows. Tried cranking my CPU termination up from 1.20 default to 1.22 (no 1.21 setting) and it wouldn't even pass the bios check screen.
If I leave those settings alone and just crank up the fsb to 471 and the cpu voltage up to 1.275 then lower the memory divider from 3.20 to 2.4 it will boot into Windows but won't pass Prime 95 for more than a couple of minutes.

Ahh well I guess 3.8 ain't bad.