Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-09, 09:05 AM   #1
jkw1

Default 8 Monitor Setup, GDM fails

Folks,

Related issue from my other post on the mouse and the 8-monitor setup. With the xorg.conf file generated by the nVidia Server Settings tool, GDM will NOT start. I have to wait for it to fail, then log in at the text screen and execute startx to get windows going. At that point, I have the (almost) working setup with the mouse problem. Does anyone know if there are issues with running the GDM login display on an X screen this large? X obviously works when started separately, but GDM chokes. The effective screen size is 5120x2048...

thanks,
Jim
jkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 12:32 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 8 Monitor Setup, GDM fails

How long does X take to start? It may take several seconds to initialize all of your GPUs and if GDM's timeout is too short, it may kill the X server as soon as it has finished initializing.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 11:06 AM   #3
jkw1

Default Re: 8 Monitor Setup, GDM fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
How long does X take to start? It may take several seconds to initialize all of your GPUs and if GDM's timeout is too short, it may kill the X server as soon as it has finished initializing.
Yeehah! That was it. Got into gdm.conf and kicked the default timeout of 10 seconds up to 30, rebooted, and all is well. Many thanks for the suggestion!
jkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote