Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-09, 11:44 AM   #1
zbiggy

Default @AaronP: Can I translate Nvidia binary driver sources?

Hello @AaronP,

can I translate Nvidia binary driver sources to Polish language?
I mean all the source code from your repo:
nvidia-settings, nvidia-installer, nvidia-xconfig, libvdpau, and vdpauinfo app which is not in driver.
Of course when translation will be ready you can include it in official Nvidia driver and your repo.

can I convert the code to be gettext ready so translation will be easier for me and others to create and maintain?

I just ask on forum because other people also may be interested in translating to other languages.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 11:56 AM   #2
gbil

Default Re: @AaronP: Can I translate Nvidia binary driver sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy View Post
Hello @AaronP,

can I translate Nvidia binary driver sources to Polish language?
I mean all the source code from your repo:
nvidia-settings, nvidia-installer, nvidia-xconfig, libvdpau, and vdpauinfo app which is not in driver.
Of course when translation will be ready you can include it in official Nvidia driver and your repo.

can I convert the code to be gettext ready so translation will be easier for me and others to create and maintain?

I just ask on forum because other people also may be interested in translating to other languages.
nvidia-settings is open source therefore no need for permissions

but what can you translate on the other? Maybe only the installation texts I guess
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 12:07 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

All of those things are open source, he doesn't need permission for any of them. I've suggested adding translations to at least nvidia-settings in the past, but the powers-that-be have said they don't want to have to maintain translations because that is a LOT of work to do right, and shipping them with the driver means that we officially support them and are liable for any mistranslations. I think I could convince him to add gettext support, though. The actual translations would probably have to remain unofficial.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 02:19 PM   #4
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil View Post
nvidia-settings is open source therefore no need for permissions

but what can you translate on the other? Maybe only the installation texts I guess
It is always better to ask when translating the author of project so we can work on improving the project in sync, together. For example author of app can mail translators if new texts are going to appear so full translation will be ready during release.

As for translations I'm going to start on the most used apps like GUI, then move to installer and xconfig finishing on libraries. Later maybe will also do translation of html and txt files. But they are much less visible to end user.

The most painful to see untranslated is nvidia-settings because on full localized desktop kde or gnome this is the only app always in English.

If @AaronP will have permission for gettext it will be much easier to maintain.
It will be up to distro to include translation or not.
If gettext will not be possible then translations will be as set of patches for particular release.

@AaronP you can tell powers-that-be that ATI Catalyst Control Center for Linux have translations for several European languages. Including Polish.
In one of subdirs are files with translated texts.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote