Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-29-09, 10:06 AM   #1
slamhound

Default Playing vob file Crashes MythTV with vdpau

I am using Mythbuntu 9.10 (though I've also tried MythTV .22 with Mythbuntu 9.04 and the problem is the same; any version of Myth .21 works fine). When trying to play a vob file with the internal player, the frontend always crashes. It looks like this is related to a problem with ffmpeg, which is noted in a bug report for MythTV:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6808

The problem and temporary workaround is described here:

"This appears to be an ffmpeg bug in Closed Caption decoding. You can work around it by disabling the parsing (comment out line 2303 of libs/libavcodec/mpeg12.c) but that's not an acceptable long term solution."

Being relatively new to all this, I was wondering how easy this fix is. I take it that libs/libavcodec/mpeg12.c is not an existing file on my system that can just be edited to make things work (for instance, I can't find the file or any directory that looks like this anywhere on my computer). So is commenting out this line easy to do and how would I do it?

My own workaround is to just use mplayer instead of the internal player. This works but is not ideal (for one thing, I think that mplayer doesn't work with storage groups; but others have noted some reasons to use the internal player when playing videos in myth). So I'd prefer to get the internal player working.

Thanks for any help.
slamhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 11:01 AM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Playing vob file Crashes MythTV with vdpau

This sounds like a plain MythTV/ffmpeg issue, so you'd be better off asking for help in a MythTV-specific forum or mailing list.

However, to answer your question, the solution you mentioned requires downloading the MythTV source code, editing a source (text) file, and recompiling MythTV. MythTV isn't that hard to compile, but if you're not familiar with compiling code, it will probably appear so!
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote