Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-09, 01:02 PM   #1
sdodier

Default RHEL 5, Can I avoid re-installing nvidia kernel module after RHEL Kernel Update?

Hello all,

I am doing some research into a problem that existed in older Red Hat versions of RHEL (3 and 4). It's not really a problem, but more of a nuisance. After updating the Linux kernel, you must then update the nvidia kernel module before or after a reboot or X will not load properly. Is there a work-around, or a different method of loading the nvidia driver that does not mod the kernel? Even if this other method added to boot time, it would be worth it. When you have 500 workstations that do a kernel update, who has time to fix all the problems related to recompiling the nvidia kernel modules? I also have some older nvidia cards that cannot simply do a "nvidia-installer --update" because they can only go up to a certain version of driver. I know that you can install the nvidia kernel module for a non-running kernel, but the main question is, can't you install the nvidia driver so that it doesn't modify the kernel to begin with?

Thanks in advance.
sdodier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 02:07 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: RHEL 5, Can I avoid re-installing nvidia kernel module after RHEL Kernel Update?

No, the kernel module must be compiled for the specific running kernel. You can update just the kernel part from the .run file with the --kernel-module-only option.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 05:22 PM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: RHEL 5, Can I avoid re-installing nvidia kernel module after RHEL Kernel Update?

Note that you can also build custom .run packages with pre-compiled kernel interface files for kernels of your choice (the help text below is an excerpt from running a .run file with the -A command line option):

--add-this-kernel
Build a precompiled kernel interface for the currently running
kernel and repackage the .run file to include this newly built
precompiled kernel interface. The new .run file will be placed
in the current directory and the string "-custom" appended
to its name, unless already present, to distinguish it from the
original .run file.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote