Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-09, 10:32 PM   #61
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Good points everybody, just wanted to chime in on this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRogue View Post
It is nice that AMD is releasing many of the low level specs of their cards, but their GL drivers still suck, be it Windows or Linux. Basically, their GL drivers are made to run ID games well and beyond that it is crossing your fingers.
The Xorg stuff based on that documentation is making fast progress. On my newish ATI card that I bought to try radeonhd I can now run google earth for real, looks correct and works fine. I had one X11 server crash, but still that's great progress and I remember a time when the NVidia drivers on my 6200 (shared mem) would *not* do Google Earth.

And all it took was install Debian-testing and use the drivers shipped with it.

And I can upgrade the kernel without first having to worry about whether the new one will see the NVidia drivers compile, I don't have to recompile anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRogue View Post
Also, open sourcing the drivers is not probably going to be a solution. On all my boxes, the sound drivers are open source drivers, the sound daemon (Pulse audio) is open source, but still on my Dell box, the sound often stops working completely after an hour or so. Shoot sound is still screwed up on the Linux platform. Sound drivers and daemon are orders of magnitudes simpler than 3D graphics.
I use the sound on three rare-reboot Linux machines, one of them for a lot of recordings. I never had an issue with any of the cards/onboards involved there. They never forced me to reboot or unload/reload the module. I only use drivers in Linux/kernel.org kernels or occasionally I try a newer ALSA package for the recording machine (in futile attempts to get S/PDIF in working).

Furthermore, if I do reboot, let's say for kernel updates, the damn thing just continues working (using the same .config). That does not work with NVidia.

Overall I still think that it is reasonable to call for an upgrade of the "nv" driver to do at least low-performance 3D for things like Google Earth.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 09:36 AM   #62
Ubuntaqua

Just like radeonhd is makeing progress, so is nouveau.

Please let the guys who get paid to write a driver for a living work peacefully. You can ask, politely, but they're not the ones deciding.

If you really want to make a point to the right guys, find the marketing or PR guys.
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 05:38 PM   #63
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubuntaqua View Post
If you really want to make a point to the right guys, find the marketing or PR guys.
lol. Those are busy inventing new names for old hardware.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 05:43 PM   #64
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
What I want, and I am arrogant to say that many of us want that, is basic 3D acceleration
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
, with low to medium performance, in an OpenSource driver for the NVidia cards.

I only use 3D for Google Earth, some visualization and maybe messing with Ogre or OpenScenegraph in applications that probably only need 10-20% of the performance my card offers.

The gamers who want current games will be stuck with binary drivers either way, but I'm not one of them.

I am even willing to pay for NVIdia hardware that is very fast and run it at medium performance. I just don't want to have to deal with the binary drivers anymore. The quality is dropping, there is no doubt, whether the developers deserve trashing or not (I say not, but that doesn't change the situation). It is a huge hassle to move kernels back and forth and it creates very unfortunate cross-constraints with the VMware kernel modules.
Why don't you guys just move to windows, It's just so much less stress. We have had hardware acceleration for ages

jussayin
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 05:46 PM   #65
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
[b]

Why don't you guys just move to windows, It's just so much less stress. We have had hardware acceleration for ages

jussayin

PREACH IT!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 06:04 PM   #66
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Um.......It's all gone a bit quiet in here!!
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 06:35 PM   #67
tadawson

Quote:
[b]

jussayin
And not much of anything else that is worth having, though . . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 11:24 AM   #68
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
[b]

jussayin
The Windows drivers weren't in much better shape lately either.

Furthermore, the things that you selectively quoted me on were specifically not about the closed source Linux drivers but were calling for extensions of the OpenSource drivers.

I don't see how switching to Windows, which doesn't have any OpenSource drivers, not even for 2D, improves this situation.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-09, 01:52 PM   #69
lucy2loose

After spending a day and half trying to install an ATI driver on linux and still having crap performance I can really see how much better NVidia drivers are. At least the .run file can be run and installs the driver and I can play ETQW and Quake4, the ATI machine couldn't even manage QuakeLive ( and I know the hardware can because the machine used to run Windows XP and ran QuakeLive fine ). Plus with NV fullscreen video is silky smooth even with compositing turned on but on ATI fullscreen video is just watchable, without compositing on.

So I say keep at it guys, I know there are fewer of you than on the Windows team.

Now please can you make Xorg + KDE + composite work a little better. ie no random black lines appearing ( they go if I switch desktops back and forth ) they don't appear that often but just enough to annoy me a little
MEM: Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2
HD : Western Digital 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
PSU: 500W Gold ATX Silent PSU
VDU: Samsung Pebble SM2232BW 22" TFT Monitor Widescreen 1680x1050 DVI Gloss Black
lucy2loose is offline   Reply With Quote