Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-03, 04:52 PM   #1
GeoffVT

Default Kernel module problem

Ok, I'm trying to use the latest nvidia package installer (4496) to upgrade my driver. The basis of my problem is that there are no precompiled kernel modules, and the installer cannot compile a kernel module. I've checked the nvidia readme, and through many posts, and haven't found someone with the exact problem. Incidentally, I've tried all the solutions in the FAQ, where applicable.

Just for background:
I'm running the Red Hat 7.3 distro
Kernel 2.4.20-20.7
I do have the kernel source installed (and have tried manually pointing the installer to the source directory)
I have the correct kernel headers installed, and have tried pointing the installer at them.
Running Xserver 4.2.1

Basically, what I get is the installer screen going through the kernel module compilation process, then exiting out with the message "Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module."

I have appended a copy of the nvidia-installer log to this post. I'm not really great at interpretating the output of the log, but I'm led to believe that it's not my gcc libaries, kernel headers, or kernel source.

Not surprisingly, the installer does not build any module, and a "$modprobe nvidia" cannot find anything. I've also tried installing older kernel modules by an rpm (the 4191 drivers), with identical results. Additionally, I have also tried re-downloading the package installer, and using the nvidia-installer --update command. I know that neither of these should have made any difference (and they didn't), but I was a long time windows user, and for some reason little things like that always fixed it.

I appreciate any help that anyone might be able to offer, or suggestions that might lead me in understanding my problem a little bit better. Thank you in advance.
GeoffVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-03, 04:54 PM   #2
GeoffVT

Sorry, when I previewed the post, the form lost my log file. Sorry, here's my nvidia-installer log. Yeah, I'm new to this.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (16.0 KB, 183 views)
Old 10-08-03, 03:20 AM   #3
johan_hammy

I am having a similiar problem, too bad no one helped you.
johan_hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 05:51 AM   #4
GeoffVT

Actually, I was eventually able to get some help, although it wasn't in this post. It took me a long time, and I ended up learning way more about compiling kernels than I ever thought I would need to, but good news is that I did get it working!
The problem ended up being that in the new kernel modpatches (2.4.xx-xx), specifically in Red Hat systems, the kernel source tree does not exactly match the kernel source you have installed from RPM. I was able to find instructions in recompiling the kernel source tree, but knowing very little about it, I muddled it up big time. However, just by recompiling the kernel source tree, the modules then did install. (It's just it was compiling it with bad kernel header files) I later posted a help quere on that particular problem which I also was able to recieve help with.
If you are having a similar problem, I'd seach some more threads, or create a new one about help with the kernel source tree. I am reluctant to post the exact steps that I took, because I really don't know what exactly they are doing, and it ended up with me eventually compiling a new kernel from source (not that that was a bad thing). Anyway, good luck.