Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-09, 11:22 PM   #1
burakvarhan

Unhappy refresh rate, xorg.conf, edid.bin

Hello all,

I have a new laptop with Geforce GTX 260M graphics card. My operating system is ubuntu 9.04 with latest beta nvidia linux driver 190.32.

My problem is; although my computer supports higher refresh rates I cannot obtain anything further from 60Hz. After some tweaking with xorg.conf file it seemed that I was able to run it at 70Hz (the tool comes with driver showed 70Hz). Unfortunately, my eyes got hurt after a while and I realized that it is working with 60Hz.

To ensure that it is working with 60Hz despite it says 70Hz, I downloaded the parse-edid tool and its output is below:

>parse-edid edid.bin | grep "Mode "
parse-edid: parse-edid version 2.0.0
parse-edid: EDID checksum passed.
Mode "1920x1080" # vfreq 60.008Hz, hfreq 67.810kHz

I am sending all necessary files including edid.bin, xorg.conf, xorg.0.log, (all in relatedFiles.tar.gz file) and nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

Particularly I ask for three things:
1) Is there any wrong or missing field in my xorg.cong file limiting me getting the desired refresh rate?
2) Apparently my edid.bin settings are false how can I update vfreq and hfreq values in the edid file
3) How can I force nvidia driver use the setting in the xorg.conf file and completely ignore the setting in the edid

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (55.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: gz relatedFiles.tar.gz (15.5 KB, 128 views)
burakvarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 12:36 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: refresh rate, xorg.conf, edid.bin

How did you determine that the screen is running at 60 Hz? The nvidia-settings query in your bug report indicates that the driver is definitely sending out a 70 Hz signal.

Also, how did you determine that your monitor actually supports refresh rates higher than 60 Hz? Many digital flat panels have an internal fixed 60 Hz refresh rate and no amount of fiddling with the timings will change that. The EDID of your monitor explicitly states that 60 Hz is the only valid refresh rate by specifying a valid VRefresh range of 60 Hz - 60 Hz, which is why you had to set so many override options to get the driver to do something else.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote