Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-09, 01:19 AM   #1
technoid

Default Home Network Question

We have a wireless network at home using the FIOS wireless router installed by Verizon. When I connect to another computer on the network using the RUN \\othercomputer method it takes a long time for the other compter to show up. Is there a way to speed that up?

To be honest I had the same slow connection speed before we got FIOS using a DLINK wireless router.
Old 10-10-09, 06:21 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Home Network Question

You're connecting the two wireless? 802.11a? b? g? n? Either way, it might just be the connection speed.

I know, even on a wired connection, it can take a bit before any of my computers show up on the network. It wont be immediate like a local hard drive would be... it does take a bit of time.

Might be more of a help if you give us an idea of how long you have to wait?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 02:19 AM   #3
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
You're connecting the two wireless? 802.11a? b? g? n? Either way, it might just be the connection speed.

I know, even on a wired connection, it can take a bit before any of my computers show up on the network. It wont be immediate like a local hard drive would be... it does take a bit of time.

Might be more of a help if you give us an idea of how long you have to wait?
Yeah that info might be nice, sorry

I mentioned it was a FIOS wireless router so I assumed the reader would think G, but assuming is not a good thing. Both wireless routers I talked about were 802.11g.

I just connected to my wife's system using "RUN \\computername" and it took 17 seconds to connect. Before I retired doing the same thing inside Texas Instruments was very fast, probably around a second.
Old 10-11-09, 02:46 AM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post

I mentioned it was a FIOS wireless router so I assumed the reader would think G, but assuming is not a good thing. Both wireless routers I talked about were 802.11g.

I just connected to my wife's system using "RUN \\computername" and it took 17 seconds to connect. Before I retired doing the same thing inside Texas Instruments was very fast, probably around a second.
You're comparing your *wireless home network* to that of the internal Texas Instruments network?

Bro, I'm pretty sure you're just experiencing the delay natural for a wireless network. Seems like a bit long of a wait, but not completely outlandish. If it were minutes I'd be consered... but just over 15 seconds? Try doing the same thing... but with a wired connection. See how long it takes then. If it's near instant, or at least faster, odds are you're just experiencing the lack-of speed with wireless networks.
Old 10-11-09, 03:35 PM   #5
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
You're comparing your *wireless home network* to that of the internal Texas Instruments network?

Bro, I'm pretty sure you're just experiencing the delay natural for a wireless network. Seems like a bit long of a wait, but not completely outlandish. If it were minutes I'd be consered... but just over 15 seconds? Try doing the same thing... but with a wired connection. See how long it takes then. If it's near instant, or at least faster, odds are you're just experiencing the lack-of speed with wireless networks.
Ha... Yeah, it's a network connection. I want both of them to be fast. Of course I wouldn't expect the wireless network to be as fast, but 1 second vs 17 secon'ds seems pretty bad. I didn't think there was that much going on during a simple shared folder connect but I imagine you're right, it's just the slow G network. I wonder how fast it would be if I had a N network instead of the G?

I wish I had two wired units to try out but the only thing I have is two wireless connections and my wired connection to the router to test with.
Old 10-11-09, 04:35 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Ha... Yeah, it's a network connection. I want both of them to be fast. Of course I wouldn't expect the wireless network to be as fast, but 1 second vs 17 secon'ds seems pretty bad. I didn't think there was that much going on during a simple shared folder connect but I imagine you're right, it's just the slow G network. I wonder how fast it would be if I had a N network instead of the G?

I wish I had two wired units to try out but the only thing I have is two wireless connections and my wired connection to the router to test with.
Well, I wouldn't trust N as far as I could digitally toss it. But my experience with N is limited.

You might opt to go MIMO-G. That's what I use and the time to connect isn't too outlandish. Never timed it, but it seems like it's only a handful of seconds (5 or so)... definitely not 17. I'd time it for you... but my lappy is kaput currently.
Old 10-11-09, 05:29 PM   #7
ViN86

Have you tried using static IP's or adding the info to the hosts file? the delay is more than likely just the delay in resolving the address.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 04:29 AM   #8
Runningman

Quote:
We have a wireless network at home using the FIOS wireless router installed by Verizon. When I connect to another computer on the network using the RUN \\othercomputer method it takes a long time for the other compter to show up. Is there a way to speed that up?

To be honest I had the same slow connection speed before we got FIOS using a DLINK wireless router.
the slow netbios resolution could be caused by your software firewall, try to disable it and see what happens.

if that doesnt work try this
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=958970
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-09, 11:11 PM   #9
Bman212121

Quote:

They probably use a WINS server at your work. It's basically the same thing as DNS except for netbios.

I have noticed in the past that going from Vista to XP definitely take a while before it shows up. If I was trying to SMB to another Vista pc it is a lot faster. I'd guess that the hotfix Runningman posted might take care of the issue.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote