Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-09, 02:07 AM   #1
ilikenwf

Question Request to nVidia - Framebuffer Support with the proprietary driver. SOMEHOW can has?

Any chance nVidia could/would include a kernel framebuffer driver within the proprietary driver/blob?

If not, any chance nVidia would at least hand over the necessary information to use uvesafb to set proper resolutions (I'm a geforce go 6150 user, and I want 1440x900 framebuffer with the blob, and it's not displayed when I scan).

Otherwise, I'd like alternatives. I'd use nouveau, but it's still a bit flaky. The opensource nv driver sucks, and neither of those provide 3d support (well, gallium, but not fully working yet).

I want to have 1440x900 @ 24bit color or better both on my console, and in X.

I don't care how, but I respectfully request nVidia make it happen for all of their cards, or I will cease buying them.

---------

I can understand nVidia not wanting to let out their code for various reasons, but I really think that holding back the specs is draconian and stupid. The propogation of the source code would only end up increasing nVidia sales, as more opensource users would buy nVidia cards.
ilikenwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 02:21 AM   #2
gonzo_s

Exclamation Re: Request to nVidia - Framebuffer Support with the proprietary driver. SOMEHOW can

I also subscribe to this. It's been really annoying for ages to be unable to switch on the verbose mode while booting. I'm using Ubuntu (actually it's possible with the fresh Ubuntu install, old kernel and outdated Nvidia driver included). But when I upgrade to the newer kernel and install Nvidia driver manually from here - all I get is a black screen. And, yes, I've tried EVERY possible solution and it's all in vain.

So, Nvidia, PLEASE make it possible to see the console when booting. PLEASE include the kernel framebuffer driver! I'm begging you.

Thank you in advance.
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 02:54 AM   #3
ilikenwf

Default Re: Request to nVidia - Framebuffer Support with the proprietary driver. SOMEHOW can

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo_s View Post
I also subscribe to this. It's been really annoying for ages to be unable to switch on the verbose mode while booting. I'm using Ubuntu (actually it's possible with the fresh Ubuntu install, old kernel and outdated Nvidia driver included). But when I upgrade to the newer kernel and install Nvidia driver manually from here - all I get is a black screen. And, yes, I've tried EVERY possible solution and it's all in vain.

So, Nvidia, PLEASE make it possible to see the console when booting. PLEASE include the kernel framebuffer driver! I'm begging you.

Thank you in advance.
That'd be because they start you out with the opensource nvidia driver. Then you installed the closed source one. Opensource doesn't support 3d, though...amongst many other things.
Old 10-14-09, 09:33 AM   #4
zbiggy

Default Re: Request to nVidia - Framebuffer Support with the proprietary driver. SOMEHOW can

I also would like to have Framebuffer Support with the proprietary driver. There are many advantages of this:
+one driver rules on GPU (no vesafb and nvidia blob coexistence needed - everyone have such situation now).
+faster console<->X switching
+no flashing during switching
+hw acceleration (console api is simple, only few 2D functions needed, already present in X driver)
+power management (already in driver)
+non vesa modes possible like 1440x900
There is no much work for Nvidia to implement this. All hardware specific code is already in X driver. Just hooks to console driver api is needed. nvidiafb open source framebuffer driver in kernel has all required functions implemented and working.
This driver is just not compatible with nvidia blob.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 10:27 AM   #5
gonzo_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikenwf View Post
That'd be because they start you out with the opensource nvidia driver. Then you installed the closed source one. Opensource doesn't support 3d, though...amongst many other things.
No, the driver is not opensource. "Included" doesn't mean included really, you just enable it in Ubuntu and it is then downloaded and installed. It's the same as here and closed source, only in a .deb package. Well, it doesn't actually matter much. What we really need is a working framebuffer within the official Nvidia linux driver. We have the right and freedom to have it
Old 10-14-09, 01:08 PM   #6
ilikenwf

Quote:
No, the driver is not opensource. "Included" doesn't mean included really, you just enable it in Ubuntu and it is then downloaded and installed. It's the same as here and closed source, only in a .deb package. Well, it doesn't actually matter much. What we really need is a working framebuffer within the official Nvidia linux driver. We have the right and freedom to have it
I really don't care. I use Archlinux. Ubuntu is for people who don't want to build their own system.
Old 10-15-09, 02:20 AM   #7
gonzo_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikenwf View Post
I really don't care. I use Archlinux. Ubuntu is for people who don't want to build their own system.
LOL, I don't want this childish "holywar". You started a "Request to nVidia - Framebuffer Support" and I subscribed to it, i.e. joined the request, my friend. So, what's the point of your answer?
Old 10-15-09, 03:47 AM   #8
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
No, the driver is not opensource. "Included" doesn't mean included really
He is probably referring to the included nv driver by nvidia, which is open source, without 3d support and completely matching his description.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-09, 05:57 AM   #9
Gusar

Months back, AaronP wrote this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...00&postcount=5

So, how about it nvidia, will it happen?
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 06:22 AM   #10
zbiggy

Another plus of having nvidia fbdev is unicode support. This is not important for English Linux users but the rest of the World may be really interested.
The VGA console only allows 256 characters. Of course we can use ISO-88859-x codepage but this is not convenient if I would like to read in languages from different parts of Europe or World at once. Unicode is just additional feature which does not need support in driver.
Old 10-15-09, 06:43 AM   #11
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
1. An fbdev driver.
Step 1 requires some more research and we're investigating whether it's possible and worth it.
Research is here: (fully working, open source accelerated driver with power management)
/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.4/drivers/video/nvidia
Some files are already (C) 2003 Nvidia, Corporation. All rights reserved. So the integration can go faster than I thought.
Yes it is possible. Just do screen init on modprobe nvidia than later on X init when 2D driver is loaded. To preserve current driver behavior fbdev can be an option as module parameter:
e.g. modprobe nvidia fbdev=1
(where default is zero)

Yes. It is worth. When reading bug report you will not have to consider if vesafb is lurking in the background or not. nvidia fbdev is just screen init at modprobe and adding 2D basic acceleration and power management at module level not later X driver.
Probably this is just a matter of moving some code from 2D X driver to nvidia module.
You can reuse the 2D acceleration code later in X.
Old 10-18-09, 04:16 AM   #12
Lysius

I'm also desperately waiting for it for years now.

my guess is:
The fbdev-driver is finished by now. But nVidia can't decide on what to do with the installer... When the fbdev-driver is in use, they can't simply unload the kernel module and the installer would have to be totally changed.

Other reason for the delay might be some GPL-only symbols in the kernel.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote