Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-09, 05:09 PM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: Bleh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Do what's right

I had to drop $20k, unexpectedly, earlier this year and basically I just gave up a few things I took for granted till things normalized

It's easier than it may seem to hold off on things when you put it in perspective

L4D should play fine. Actually you should be able to play most things pretty well I think

Look @ the specs on my HTPC. It still gets a daily workout and it is capable of playing most things today with decent resolution and LOD. I had a 1950XT in there before and while slower, after scaling some items back, it was adequate
I'm thinking you're right. As much as I don't want to, I should probably just use this rig. Though the NB fan seems to be on its last leg. However, I'm running this in my Silverstone Raven RV-01 case, which has incredible air flow. I could probably run it without that NB fan and it'd still be plenty cool enough.

L4D is still dl'ing. Soon as it's done I'm gonna' give it a go. Curious how this old AGP card can handle that game.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 07:02 PM   #14
Redeemed

Okay, so the game plays near perfectly with everything 100% maxed in-game.

So now, I'm gonna' start getting all my data backed up as I want it, then Im going to re-install.

For some reason, it's only showing 2.5GB of RAM, even though I have 3.5 installed. Video card only has a 512MB frame buffer- though in the BIOS I have the AGP Aperture set to 512MB. That probably explains my lack of available RAM.

But I want all 3.5GB usable. So I'm going with 64-bit ultimate. Don't think I'll be doing much gaming tonight. Gotta' turn the rig off, unplug my optical drive and hook up my 1TB drive, transfer my backup from that drive to the 250 that's in there now. Then power rig off, remove 1TB drive and hook up 500GB drive, transfer documents from that to my 250... consolidate all my documents (make a final backup) and store it on my 500GB drive... then remove 250GB drive, install 1TB drive and connect Optical drive, install Vista- and call it good.

Gonna' have a long night ahead of me.
Old 10-14-09, 04:37 AM   #15
wysiwyg

sorry to be of no use but im not surprised its a HP lappy that went.

actually most laptops are crap.
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 05:20 PM   #16
Redeemed

Well, now my system wont recognize 1 of of my 1GB sticks. Most I can get it to recognize is 2.5GB. I've tried each stick individually in all slots- they all work. But when I have all of them in together, no matter the order, only 2.5GBs is recognized. Yes I have it set to remap the memory hole or whatever it's called. Just wont recognize more than 2.5GB... even in the BIOS! No matter what I try, I cannot get it to boot up seeing all 3.5GB of RAM I have installed.

I have this motherboard, this processor, this video card, all I need to do is purchase this RAM and I'd have a fully functional rig that'd do everything I need it to.

I hear what you were saying Sazar, but all the hardware I'm using is old and used stuff. I'm just sick of fiddling with it! I want it to work, and work right! I just don't want to spend days trying to find some odd way of getting this rig working the way I want it to when I could buy that RAM instead and be running all new hardware.

Guess I'll fiddle with it a bit more longer. I've got the $100 to buy that RAM, and still be able to meet all my bills. It'd make things that much more tight, financially, but I'd survive.

Well, ya'll wouldn't have any ideas on getting all 3.5GB to show up, would you? Running the EPoX 9NDA3J motherboard which uses the nForce3 Ultra chipset. My RAM is all mixed- I have three 1GB sticks. Two of the sticks are Patriot brand. One is DDR500, the other is DDR333. The last 1GB stick is OCZ, DDR400. Then I have a 512MB stick of some generic brand that I pulled from a recycled rig at work. I had all sticks working together flawlessly just a few days ago when I was using a s478 Pentium4 @ 1.8Ghz. They worked fine in that motherboard... no problems. They'll work just fine individually in the EPoX board I'm currently using. But put all four in at the same time, and 1GB somehow just doesnt show up. Even taking the 512MB stick out, it'll only POST showing 2GB. If I could get 3GB to work, I'd be happy. But it seems the most I can get is 2.5 for some odd-ball reason.

But I'm calling it quits after today. If I can't get at least 3GB going, then I'm buying that new RAM tonight.
Old 10-14-09, 06:34 PM   #17
Redeemed

I guess I could just ditch this A64 3800 and use my old AXP 3200. Only has 3 RAM slots, supports DDR400 and AGP 8x. Could just use that, my three 1GB sticks, and call it good. Except it doesn't have any SATA ports and I don't have any functional IDE drives.

Hmm... not sure what to do.
Old 10-14-09, 07:04 PM   #18
Redeemed

Just placed an order for that G.Skill RAM I wanted. I'm tired of fiddling with this old hardware.

I bought the RAM I've been wanting to get. I was originally wanting two sets though for 8GB. But I'll live with 4GB just fine. Shipping was free, and rush processing cost less than I expected. I'm hoping it'll be here before the week ends. Actually, if I were smart, I'd have them deliver it to my work so I'd have it this Saturday. Oops.

Anyhow, this time next week I should be rocking an i7 920, Intel X58 mobo, GTX260 Core216, and 4GB DDR3 1600. When I have the spare cash I'll get a better cooler for the CPU, and lastly I'll get rid of my 17" LCD and go for the 28 Hanns-G or whatever the equivalent is at that time. I'm not sure I'll be selling this GTX260. Worst case scenerio I just use as a dedicated PhysX card.

Anyhow, looking forward to having a decent rig finally. Been a good several months at least since I've had one. THE WITHDRAWALS!!!
Old 10-14-09, 07:31 PM   #19
betterdan

4gb should be plenty, like I said before I noticed no difference going from 4gb to 8gb except it made my schlong seem larger... on second thought you should have got the 8gb...
Old 10-14-09, 07:45 PM   #20
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
4gb should be plenty, like I said before I noticed no difference going from 4gb to 8gb except it made my schlong seem larger... on second thought you should have got the 8gb...
Any chance youd be willing to sell me 4Gb for a reasonable price? I do have a paypal account and can still cancel the order I placed with neweeg. lol

Yeah, I know what you mean about 4GB - 8GB... not a big difference really. Some day there might be. But for now it's more than enough.

Old 10-14-09, 09:27 PM   #21
Redeemed

Well ya'll, she now recognized 3GB. Don't know how or why. I'm torn, this rig almost seems to have a mind of it's own. A few short minutes ago it was only seeing 2.5GB. Now, suddenly it's 3GB. Not recognizing the 512MB stick now, but I'm happy with 3GB.

I'm tempted to not cancel my order, as I'm suspicious of how long this rig will last as she is. RAM could give out any minute, mobo could kick the bucket anytime, it's all old hardware. In a rockin' case with killer ventilation and plenty of airflow- over heating is one thing these components *wont* due. That said, I'm just not sure I trust 'em. They are old, and *very* used. I retired 'em for a reason.

Anyhow, gonna' think on it, and before I'm off to bed I'll come to a conclusion as to whether or not I should keep that order. Sure would like that i7 rig. Sure would like to have that $100 back as well.
Old 10-15-09, 11:03 AM   #22
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well ya'll, she now recognized 3GB. Don't know how or why. I'm torn, this rig almost seems to have a mind of it's own. A few short minutes ago it was only seeing 2.5GB. Now, suddenly it's 3GB. Not recognizing the 512MB stick now, but I'm happy with 3GB.

I'm tempted to not cancel my order, as I'm suspicious of how long this rig will last as she is. RAM could give out any minute, mobo could kick the bucket anytime, it's all old hardware. In a rockin' case with killer ventilation and plenty of airflow- over heating is one thing these components *wont* due. That said, I'm just not sure I trust 'em. They are old, and *very* used. I retired 'em for a reason.

Anyhow, gonna' think on it, and before I'm off to bed I'll come to a conclusion as to whether or not I should keep that order. Sure would like that i7 rig. Sure would like to have that $100 back as well.
Can't cancel my order- Newegg is too fast and efficient for me. They charged my debit card too soon for me to cancel the order. And I guess once your card is charged, you can't cancel anymore.

Oh well, the up side is this time next week I'll be rockin' an i7 rig.