Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-09, 08:03 AM   #1
tpievila

Default [SOLVED]*nVidia drivers freeze system with two screens

It used to work just fine, but now trying to run two separate screens (see bug report) just freezes the system. Sometimes it's possible to ssh in (that's how I got the partial bug report log), sometimes everything gets stuck. Only nVidia logo shows on the screen, nothing else happens. The last line on xorg.log is (WW) NVIDIA(1): WAIT (2, 6, 0x8000, 0x00001c08, 0x0000aa44).

I have tried two newest versions of both stable and beta drivers, also a 1.7 build of X.Org. In all cases the problem is the same.

I don't really know what has happened... the given xorg.conf worked fine a week ago, these problems started after a reboot. Also I have reinstalled the system to make sure that there absolutely can be no cruft from earlier driver installations. Using only one monitor works fine.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (29.5 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by tpievila; 10-19-09 at 11:45 AM.
tpievila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 08:38 AM   #2
tpievila

Default Re: nVidia drivers freeze system with two screens

After using one screen for a while, I found out that many things result in the same lockup. For example enabling desktop effects (in Ubuntu) or simply trying to run glxinfo.
Old 10-18-09, 03:23 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I wonder if this is an interaction problem with the VGA arbiter that was introduced in Linux 2.6.31. The driver does not yet have code to opt out of VGA arbitration, but the X server in your log file also isn't new enough to trigger it. If you downgrade to an older kernel, does the problem go away?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 03:39 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Never mind, the VGA arbiter is in 2.6.32, not 2.6.31, so that can't be the problem. The error message you're getting indicates that the GPU just stopped responding while the driver was talking to it. Please make sure that the GPU's contacts are clean, that the GPU is firmly seated in the socket, that the external power cables are firmly connected, and that the power supply has an adequate wattage rating.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 05:58 PM   #5
tpievila

Just tested with 2.6.27 with same results. The system did work before, so contacts and PSU should be fine. Will however take it out and put it back again firmly to make sure, after I get some sleep.
Old 10-19-09, 11:44 AM   #6
tpievila

I don't know what might have been the exact problem, but things are now working after moving the card to another PCI-E slot. Thanks for the hint on connection problems.