Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-09, 05:28 PM   #1
wfaulk

Default Blinking screen under Ubuntu 9.04 with multiple driver versions on Quadro NVS 295

Since my previous thread was only ever responded to by an end user, I'm going to try again.

My video flashes off and on when using the nVidia drivers.

Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64 running on a Dell Precision T3500 with an nVidia NVS 295 video card, supplied by Dell. I have installed the 180.44, 185.18.36, 190.32, and 190.36 drivers from nVidia. The same problem happens on all of the drivers. The monitor is an HP LP2065, connected to the card by a DisplayPort to DVI adapter also provided by Dell.

I uninstalled the linux-restricted-modules and linux-restricted-modules-common packages before installing the nVidia drivers I downloaded directly from nVidia. The OS was reinstalled completely after installing the nVidia drivers that Ubuntu provided (180.44).

The blinking occurs mostly when large video changes happen. It happens more with scrolling than with PageUp/PageDown. Sometimes it seems to happen with almost no impetus, like just moving the mouse pointer. When the video blinks out, the monitor actually goes blank as if there is no video provided; the backlight turns off. The monitor will sometimes flip back to the other input, as if it thinks that the signal on the Linux input has gone away completely.

There is also some video corruption. There are one-pixel high horizontal lines that run through the video almost constantly. They seem to have some relationship to other movement on the screen. Also, you can sometimes see in the fractions of a second before and after the blink that some of the video elements are in the wrong place.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (54.9 KB, 91 views)
wfaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 05:32 PM   #2
wfaulk

Default Re: Blinking screen under Ubuntu 9.04 with multiple driver versions on Quadro NVS 295

YouTube video clip of the blinking
Old 10-09-09, 09:56 AM   #3
wfaulk

Default Re: Blinking screen under Ubuntu 9.04 with multiple driver versions on Quadro NVS 295

Seriously. Anybody?
Old 10-12-09, 08:38 AM   #4
slsl

Hi, try to put this on your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in the device section:

Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"

and restart X.. or the computer....
slsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 10:37 AM   #5
wfaulk

Didn't help, but thanks for trying.
Old 10-15-09, 12:09 AM   #6
wfaulk

Well, I gave up and installed Windows 7 x86_64. Where I'm having the same issue.

So there's bound to be something off with the card.
Old 10-19-09, 05:47 PM   #7
wfaulk

I got a replacement card from my vendor (Dell) and everything seems fine now. Bad memory maybe?