Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-17-09, 08:58 AM   #1
Maverickman

Default End of the line for GTX 2xx series?

Many of you have probably seen some articles on the web claiming that Nvidia is eliminating its GTX 2xx series of cards in the face of intense competition from AMD. With Fermi not available until early next year, it seems Nvidia is throwing in the towel until then. It may not be a bad idea because Nvidia would really have to cur prices to be competitive with ATI's HD 5850 and 5700 series. Still, I don't like to see a company giving up so easily.
16X BluRay-RW drive
Dell 30-inch U3014 monitor
Dell speakers
Maverickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 09:46 AM   #2
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: End of the line for GTX 2xx series?

I don't think they throwing in the towel so much as trying to stop the bleeding. Their entire lineup is outclassed, and I think it's obvious their isn't enough profit to be competitive so they are cutting their losses.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 04:55 PM   #3
azanon

They're still pretty competitive with the 5800 series, ... judging by Newegg. The Nvidia cards are still priced about what they've always been, and the 5800 series isn't available for purchase. I'd say that's competitive.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 06:58 AM   #4
Burnt_Ram

they're not completely throwing in the towel. they're about to release a GTX275 with a GTX250 on the same board for dedicated PhysX .... read about it this morn. i'm late for work or i would dig up a link.
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 08:01 AM   #5
azanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram View Post
they're not completely throwing in the towel. they're about to release a GTX275 with a GTX250 on the same board for dedicated PhysX .... read about it this morn. i'm late for work or i would dig up a link.
That sounds like a great idea considering Batman runs just fine with max settings on a GTX275 without a GTX 250 chip!

Cool-ass game though. I'd prefer a nVidia card just for that reason alone. It's fast enough to run every game out so who needs more power anyway. I'd prefer the one with more usable features today.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 08:16 AM   #6
trivium nate

so are they going to keep making driver updates for them?
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 08:20 AM   #7
Revs

I assume ATI have got their act together with the drivers?? I know a few people here went back to NV after ATI driver issues with the last series.

Also, some nVidia cards, as far as I can tell, are still superb VFM. You can get 2 GTX260's and change for the price of the 5870. Or are they making a loss at these prices?
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 09:56 AM   #8
BelligerentBill
Bumbling Idiot

I find it hard to believe Nvidia would cut their losses anywhere. They currently have far more compelling reasons to purchase their hardware as opposed to any competition. I have a Core2Quad 3.0 GHz system with a GTX 275 / 8800 GTS 512 PhysX and I'm am insanely happy. I've had the core of this system since January/February of 2008 the only change being the GTX 275 upgrade. The point is that faster is in no way better like it was 5 years ago. The enthusiast market isn't large enough to support any business model in the PC industry because these days people buy, for the most part, what will give them the most bang for their buck inside of what they prefer.

Say ATI came out with a card that was 3x faster than anything Nvidia has available (oh and claiming to support DX11 to boot). Even then I personally would stick with an Nvidia upgrade because that is my chosen preference (however I've chosen to build two AMD/ATI motherboard(integrated graphics)/processor based systems for non personal use since I built my almost 2 year old pc). I've done ATI.... sorry AMD, nothing against you but Nvidia is leagues ahead as the gaming industry is concerned. My experiences with ATI are nothing I will risk throwing my money away to experience again (I used ATI from the originally introduced Radeon chip until the x800 era or so so it's not like I had one issue and bailed. It was the overall experience which was love/hate/hate/hate).

Let us all not forget what happened when vendors claimed DX 10 support and when the first DX 10 supported applications officially released all that DX 10 hardware took massive performance hits and really had to be downscaled to DX 9 mode for playable framerates.

What's up now biatch (ATI).

Old 10-22-09, 10:37 AM   #9
Merefield

Quote:
Oh nice! That will rock!

Unfortunately i just finished the game. Absolutely one of the best games i've played.
Old 10-22-09, 11:11 AM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I assume ATI have got their act together with the drivers??
depends what do you mean by act.

stability is ok, GUI is horrible, still lacks game profile access.
Old 10-22-09, 12:25 PM   #11
Rollo

Quote:
http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-10...chip-card.html

Here's the link for that way cool GTX275 +GTX250 card, very good idea on EVGA's part.

As far as the OP goes, NVIDIA just discontinued producing last gen parts so inventory can be sold off before their next gen parts launch. Not a big deal.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 12:37 PM   #12
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-10...chip-card.html

Here's the link for that way cool GTX275 +GTX250 card, very good idea on EVGA's part.

As far as the OP goes, NVIDIA just discontinued producing last gen parts so inventory can be sold off before their next gen parts launch. Not a big deal.
Thats the dumbest thing I've ever seen. They are just trying to clean out stock. Like putting lipstick on a pig... Who wants to buy more obsolete hardware? ATI can't even keep stock if HD5870 and HD5850s, clearly people aren't buying Nvidia products right now. I really don't see this as a wise decision but more of a Hail Mary. Wow, Nvidia is leading the way with stupid **** lately.

Sorry Nvidia, at least someone is focusing on real progress for gamers... http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/57180/PC/...C-Tech-Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote