Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-09, 11:28 PM   #1
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default XP problems

Got a few computers I use at work and one I use for email and some other things has gone a bit weird and ugly on me for no apparent reason. I was away for 3 days and came back and noticed the desktop icons lost their transparency around the text, now they're win98 style - here's a screen:

Anyway all the effects in the appearance tab are turned on as normal and I can't figure out why it's doing this. The other thing is the menu's have an ugly white bg when you move your mouse over them.

On top of these visual things the common programs in the start menu have reset - like xp was just installed... so it includes things like msn, tour winxp, messenger etc. And most importantly, It doesn't remember passwords anymore! I have to put in my email pass in outlook every time, even when I tell it to save it. Never had this problem before!

One more thing, auto updates aren't working, the machine was still on SP2 so I manually updated it to SP3 thinking this might solve things, but it didn't.

Hope someone can help. I really have nfi how this stuff just happened why I was away.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 11:32 AM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: XP problems

you have to disable active desktop for the icons

but from your description a lot more is going on with that system
Old 10-22-09, 05:45 PM   #3
Viral
Registered User of Women

It's not active desktop, but I tried enabling it and disabling it and no difference. The icons themselves lose their transparent edges with active desktop enabled, my prob is juts the text for the name.

Just to add to the weirdness... windows is looking more and more like it was just installed. The CP was no longer set to classic view, and going into the C drive, programs and windows folders brought up that blue screen where you had to click the link to get it to display the files. Haven't seen that in years! lol

Thanks anyway, though. I ran spybot and it caught one thing but repairing it changed nothing, that's all I can think of though... somethings messed with the registry?

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Old 10-25-09, 04:20 PM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
It's not active desktop, but I tried enabling it and disabling it and no difference. The icons themselves lose their transparent edges with active desktop enabled, my prob is juts the text for the name.

Just to add to the weirdness... windows is looking more and more like it was just installed. The CP was no longer set to classic view, and going into the C drive, programs and windows folders brought up that blue screen where you had to click the link to get it to display the files. Haven't seen that in years! lol

Thanks anyway, though. I ran spybot and it caught one thing but repairing it changed nothing, that's all I can think of though... somethings messed with the registry?
Sounds possible. I honestly don't know what the cause could be. Could be an infection of some sort, but removing the infection probably wont get your computer back to how it was.

How recent is your data backup? Is a fresh install (of Windows) feasible?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 04:41 PM   #5
Viral
Registered User of Women

Data is backed up every week and I'm pretty confident any remaining data could still be backed up considering the nature of our important files.

Still there is the time issue, the pc is still completely usable besides email being a pain because of constant password re-entry.

I might try an XP repair install first? I guess that could help.

Old 10-25-09, 04:53 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Data is backed up every week and I'm pretty confident any remaining data could still be backed up considering the nature of our important files.

Still there is the time issue, the pc is still completely usable besides email being a pain because of constant password re-entry.

I might try an XP repair install first? I guess that could help.
Why not. Just be certain that you're data is backed up- obviously.

If that fails, maybe the fresh install? I mean, if the *only* inconvenience is having to punch in your password for e-mail all the time a fresh install might not be "cost effective". However, not knowing what is causing this problem... who knows what could start going wrong later on down the line?

I might encourage the fresh install simply due to the peace of mind it would offer. Or, try running malwarebytes to purge any infection. Then just limp along with it as it is.

Just some ideas I'm throwing out there. Hope you get it working bro.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 10:07 PM   #7
Viral
Registered User of Women

Thanks for that. I tried malwarebytes and it picked up a minor thing, but that solved nothing. Still it's a good program, I haven't been keeping up to date on the latest anti-malware programs since I've only been maintaining my own pc lately. No real need for that kind of thing.

Formatted and installed XP, updated everything and it's all good now. Surprised how few issues I had on installing XP considering some of the old hardware. The PC has a Parallel port PCI card from the early 2000's which is used for our vinyl cutter. I couldn't find a driver for it... but windows update found one

Again, thanks for the help.