Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-09, 01:42 PM   #109
betterdan

Default Re: Windows 7

Well I don't want to actually upgrade I meant the custom install which is wiping the drive clean, but I bought the upgrade disc. Maybe instead I can just do a clean install and put the XP disc in when it asks. We shall see, I just got word Newegg has shipped my order.
Old 10-23-09, 01:22 AM   #110
mojoman0

no there is no upgrading on a clean drive. You have to have a copy installed. It has now been reported that you can use the same vista trick to use your upgrade key on a clean install by booting with the upgrade disk, running a clean install but not using your key or activating it, then upgrade again with a clean install and activate.

http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...-answered.aspx
Quote:
I've gotten a number of emails from people who received an Upgrade version of Windows 7 in the mail and installed it on a new or formatted PC without having to resort to any tricks (like the Vista-era "install it twice" hack). If true, this does of course answer the number one remaining question about Windows 7: How do you do a clean install with Upgrade media? Apparently, with no effort at all. I will test this as soon as possible of course, but it's a very busy day so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it. In the meantime, it looks like we're getting some good news here.

If you have done a clean install with Windows 7 Upgrade media (i.e. there is no other OS installed on the PC at the time), please post here and let everyone know.

UPDATE: I tried this type of install in a VM and it did not work. Based on the error message I got, the Vista-era rules apply. That is, you'll have to do a stupid "install it twice" workaround as described above. Sigh.

I've just tasted the vomit worthy smug of the apple fanboy...almost funny until you want to rip your hair out over the pompous prick fanboism...

http://www.cultofmac.com/win7review/10796
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 01:48 AM   #111
JasonPC

Wow from the way that article was written you could just tell it was written by a Mac user. If these are the worst things they can nitpick about Windows 7 I think it's safe to say it's a good OS.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 06:07 AM   #112
betterdan

I see someone said that they had Win 7 RC on their computer and they used the Win 7 Home Pro upgrade disc and it let them upgrade from RC (Ultimate) to Home Pro by doing a custom install. That would be exactly what I want to do and hopefully it will work.

Quote:
redunion1940 said:
You can't use a blank drive for upgrading, that is why it is called upgrading, even Apple doesn't allow this. But I just got my $30 Professional upgrade for my desktop, and all I had was win 7 RC on it and I used custom install from the set up folder and it worked fine, you can custom install and have a clean install.
Quote:
redunion1940 said:
Okay this is what you do, if you have a disc I used digital media, but if you have a disc and you have either XP, Vista or 7 RC on the harddrive, put the disc in with the original operating system running,

Then when the auto-run prompts you or you start the disc, click custom install. It will ask you if it is okay to put all of the old windows files into a file called Windows.old, then it will run just like a regular clean install take about 25 minutes and then you have a clean install of Windows 7, you then can navigate to the Windows.old file folder get what you need from it and then just delete it from the hard drive.

You will now have a clean Windows 7.

As for your friend he will need to restore his old partion as upgrade media will not install on a clean partiton it has to have a old version of windows on it.
Old 10-23-09, 07:42 AM   #113
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
no there is no upgrading on a clean drive. You have to have a copy installed. It has now been reported that you can use the same vista trick to use your upgrade key on a clean install by booting with the upgrade disk, running a clean install but not using your key or activating it, then upgrade again with a clean install and activate.

http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...-answered.aspx

I've just tasted the vomit worthy smug of the apple fanboy...almost funny until you want to rip your hair out over the pompous prick fanboism...

http://www.cultofmac.com/win7review/10796
The review was rather funny but has valid points. Windows always has had lots of silly dialogue boxes and Windows 7 takes it one step further with the error messages and solutions. Also, IE8 showing Google below a load of other search engines, categorized as popular is just a stab at them from Microsoft. Google's Chrome even has MSN search third in it's list.

It's also worth noting that the OS 'still' acts like a nanny rather than being transparent and just work. Why oh why does it tell you that new hardware is being installed, and then tell you it is installed? How about you just work and only tell me if there is a problem?

The OS still gets in your face, that's what OS X users see, it's true and even Linux just gets on with the job rather than telling you about worthless information.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 08:14 AM   #114
wysiwyg

i like it to tell me the hardware has installed properly

lets not forget windows has to work with a much more varied hardware base than Apple's OS's , and you pay a premium for apple too

apple is for people with more money than sense and its also a status symbol
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 08:35 AM   #115
Yaboze

Vista will be upgraded during an install, but I think you can just have it install in the same folder and have it rename the old. I know with XP, it renames it Windows.old. This is perfect, just delete that when you're done, same as a clean install, pretty much.

I think I'm going to burn one of my many XP keys on my install, I see no point in installing XP anymore, at least on this machine.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 08:59 AM   #116
K007

Clean Install took about 20 mins.

So far everything is fine. Played a bit of sf4.

As for the task bar..man its a bit confusing, i really do wish there was a option to have both in there aka vista style.

WMP...whats the story with this? How can i set it so that when it minimize it will sit in that tiny tray like thing...atm when i minimize it sits on my task bar like a window. doesnt give me the control to play/skip or c the song.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-09, 09:02 AM   #117
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
i like it to tell me the hardware has installed properly

lets not forget windows has to work with a much more varied hardware base than Apple's OS's , and you pay a premium for apple too

apple is for people with more money than sense and its also a status symbol
That's the point, Windows users like yourself are used to such information being constantly thrown at them, it's got nothing to do with hardware being more varied.

OS X and Linux users are used to much more transparent OS and this is why such reviews come out saying things like in that review. In the end it's not nitpicking, it's nagging, something which Microsoft fixed with the UAC.

Well yes, you do pay more for brand names and Apple is no exception.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 09:11 AM   #118
K007

wow wmp plays every video i threw at it so far...lol even mp4.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 09:37 AM   #119
munkus
Cold nose, warm heart

So far I'm really liking Windows 7 x64, but to be honest I had a fully patched Vista x64 SP2 setup that was running smooth as butter too. <shrug> Not worth the price to upgrade in terms of features and stability, IMHO, but it's always best to stay with current technology. I'll give Microsoft major kudos for releasing a new OS that works out of the box. SHOCKING!
munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 09:56 AM   #120
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkus View Post
So far I'm really liking Windows 7 x64, but to be honest I had a fully patched Vista x64 SP2 setup that was running smooth as butter too. <shrug> Not worth the price to upgrade in terms of features and stability, IMHO, but it's always best to stay with current technology. I'll give Microsoft major kudos for releasing a new OS that works out of the box. SHOCKING!
Did they fix the WEI bug? Did they fix Game Explorer? I will be getting my copy next week.

Also, does anyone know if this will be on TechNet Plus?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote