Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-09, 05:35 PM   #49
Stephen Warren

Default Re: VDPAU Error: DISPLAY PRE-EMPTED

Carl, Dragorep,

One common theme is that Carl's system and Dragorep's system (from comment #4 in this thread) are both PCI (not PCI-Express) graphics cards in older AGP motherboards. The issue could be due to, or triggered by, this less common setup. We'll see what we can find out.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 05:44 PM   #50
Stephen Warren

1 question: Do you know roughly what bit-rate the streams are that you're decoding with VDPAU when you see these preemptions?

A couple things for you to try: a) Disable AGP, since your graphics cards are PCI (maybe there's a BIOS option for this; no idea). b) Use the NvAGP driver instead of AGPGART. Chapter 12 in the Linux README appears to deal with this.
Old 10-23-09, 06:06 PM   #51
Dragorep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
A couple things for you to try: a) Disable AGP, since your graphics cards are PCI (maybe there's a BIOS option for this; no idea).
There is sometimes that BIOS option depending on the board, where I found it I have already set to PCI, appears to make no difference.
Dragorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 05:08 AM   #52
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
1 question: Do you know roughly what bit-rate the streams are that you're decoding with VDPAU when you see these preemptions?
Note that I observe the pre-emptions when using DVB reception even without using hardware accelerated decoding: It is enough the use the VDPAU mixer (and software decoding).
The stream I watched is 720x576, reported as being 15Mbit by FFmpeg (don't know if this is reliable).

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 07:07 AM   #53
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragorep View Post
I also concluded that a particular motherboard model (I tried both these GA 7VRXP Rev 1.1 and GA 7VRXP Rev 2.0 both with AMD 2400's) had major issues with the PCI cards reliably producing fatal errors within a minute whether playing files or live TV.
I can also confirm that the pre-emptions I see with a Geforce 9400 GT PCI with 190.42 when receiving DVB depend on the motherboard model: I can reliably reproduce the pre-emptions on two Epox EP-8KA3+ Rev 1.2, BIOS 2003/04/09 (Athlon XP 2600+ 2GHz), with three different DVB cards: Two STB0899 based (KNC1 DVB S2+ and Technisat Skystar HD), one SAA7146 based (KNC1 DVB-T). It does not matter how I set the following BIOS options: "PCI Latency Timer" (did not try many values), "* Cacheable", "PCI * Write", "PCI Delay Transaction" and "Init Display First".
I have never seen an option to disable AGP on any board and "Init Display First" usually makes no difference for me.
I do not get any pre-emptions on a pre-2000 Pentium III board (P3-500) watching HDTV for several hours using the same graphic card and one of the DVB-S2 cards. Note that on this board, the graphic card is not recognized (and not started) by the BIOS which does not matter because the graphic card is started when X starts (I have an AGP graphic card in the system to see startup messages and to be able to use the console, but X/VDPAU also works without the second graphic card).

Carl Eugen
Old 10-30-09, 02:38 PM   #54
Dragorep

Carl

I appreciate your noting your independent corroboration here - there are some people who are not prepared to accept some motherboards could have a problem with the PCI VDPAU cards. (To be clear this comment is not directed at NVIDIA)

Can you easily identify the chipset(s) involved here? The GA 7VRXP uses KT333, which interestingly is not listed as a supported "AGP" chipset at ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...hapter-12.html

It will be interesting to see if your chipset is listed there. (I'm happy to check if you do not have the information readily at hand)

Also another commonality is that Athlon XP CPU's feature in our experience.

The GA 7VRXP gigabyte manual (easily downloadable) has a "VGA Boot From" BIOS option where PCI or AGP can be selected.

Also possibly related is http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/NVidiaProprietaryDriver (search for KT333) where reducing the AGP speed may be worth trying however I've abandoned those motherboards and have some other priorities before I might be inclined to reassemble one and try that.

Finally recycling P3-500's into HD frontends using PCI cards seems a good use of that old kit, if the UI speed is acceptable? Well done, I didn't think a P3-500 would have enough puff! I wonder if its chipset features as compatible on the 190.42 reference? I note the supported chipsets go back a long way in CPU history!
Old 10-30-09, 02:51 PM   #55
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragorep View Post
Can you easily identify the chipset(s) involved here? The GA 7VRXP uses KT333, which interestingly is not listed as a supported "AGP" chipset at ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...hapter-12.html
The EP-8KA3+ is also a KT333 mainboard...

Carl Eugen
Old 11-11-09, 02:02 PM   #56
Dragorep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
The EP-8KA3+ is also a KT333 mainboard...

Carl Eugen
Out of interest Carl what have you done here?

Abandoned the motherboard for vdpau use?

It seems we need NVIDIA to add KT333 support as a pre-requisite before one resumes trying to use these boards with vdpau, would you agree?

Old 11-12-09, 11:15 AM   #57
Stephen Warren

The implication when I spoke to another developer is that the KT333 chipset is likely buggy. I'm not sure that we'll be able to fix the issues. That said, I do appear to have a KT333 system at home, although no PCI graphics card, so I'll see if I can find time to attempt a repro. Hopefully high HDD or PCI-card-ethernet usage will trigger it; I also don't have a DVB card (not that I could use one if I did).
Old 11-19-09, 03:53 PM   #58
trankilou

Hi,

I read all the topic and I think I'm in the good one
To sum up I have core 2 duo 1.8ghz at 2.5ghz , 4coredual vsta motherboard, 8400GS PCI express, 2Go RAM, latest gentoo (from scratch) and i use latest svn mythtv with nova-t (dvb-t) and latest nvidia drivers.

So like you I have display preemted in my mythfrontend when i use vdpau. It crash randomly after 10 sec to 10 min. I use vdpau high quality with bob2x filter. It's amazing my cpu is 96/98% idle. when vdpau is off my cpu is 55 % idle.

I have no problem with mplayer and vdpau (vo and vc). I have no problem when playing 720p mkv or 1080p m4v even with internal mythtv player with vdpau profil. So problem seems come from livetv + vdpau.
LiveTV sd or HD have no pb with others renderers (xv or opengl) but just takes about 50% CPU instead of 2/3 %

I hope it will help
Attached Files
File Type: txt mythfonrtend.log.txt (88.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-logfile.zip (29.5 KB, 144 views)
trankilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 01:04 PM   #59
Stephen Warren

trankilou,

Thanks for the information.

You've confirmed that VDPAU playback on its own is OK, but VDPAU playback of live TV causes issues. What about the following two cases:

* Capturing TV to disk, and playing back something else using VDPAU (rather than watching what is being captured).

* Not using VDPAU at all, but capturing TV to disk. i.e. either just letting TV capture run while the system is idle, or playing back something from disk using SW decode and a non-VDPAU display path.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-10, 12:54 PM   #60
Dragorep

Quote:
The implication when I spoke to another developer is that the KT333 chipset is likely buggy. I'm not sure that we'll be able to fix the issues. That said, I do appear to have a KT333 system at home, although no PCI graphics card, so I'll see if I can find time to attempt a repro. Hopefully high HDD or PCI-card-ethernet usage will trigger it; I also don't have a DVB card (not that I could use one if I did).
Stephen,

Did you ever get to do this testing?