jma

Default 190.42 does not build? ...

... and TV-time shows artifacts with 190.40 as well as 36 ... this with a GT220
jma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 06:45 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 190.42 does not build? ...

Please post an nvidia-installer.log or nvidia-bug-report.log.gz and a more detailed description about how to reproduce the problem with tvtime.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 07:55 PM   #3
jma

That it doesn't build is because this is a 2.6.29-rt kernel and the module has moved on to .31-rt ... Oh well, working on a backport as we speak. Hmmm ... better download a new kernel perhaps, but that will OTOH take like forever. Whatever comes first :-D

TV-time? This is a PCI-card of the Haupage variety. It was beautiful with the old 9400GS yesterday, but now has random horizontal stripes with the new GT220 today. The effect seems to disappear when the picture is not moving.

What can I give you to analyze?

UPDATE: TV-time looks the same with the backported module. I'll try the original vanilla non-rt kernel that came with the distribution (a few years ago)

UPDATE 2: With 2.6.19 TV-time looks better but is still a somewhat unruly. I don't think it is radio interference between the two cards, which I otherwise suspected/feared for a short while.
Old 10-22-09, 05:33 AM   #4
jma

There are no artifacts when 'performance level' hits zero with NV Clock and Memory Clock at 135/135.

It breaks when 'performance level' is at one or two with the frequencies 405/324 respectively 720/800. No real load has to be present, setting Preferred Mode to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' will provoke it.

At this point I would really like to swap cards around to check further for interference, but there unfortunately is only one each of PCI/PCIe ...

Ah, oh, wait a sec ... got it!.

Unticking 'Sync to VBlanc' in the 'Video Texture Adaptor' menu makes the problem go away.

Tadah! :-D

How do I make this setting permanent in xorg.conf?
Old 10-22-09, 06:19 AM   #5
thefirstm

Does that not introduce severe video tearing, though?
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 07:16 AM   #6
jma

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
No, quite the opposite: It does away with the the tearing (if that is what, what I see here is called.)

Perhaps this is some boolean flag having its definition turned upside down in video bios or driver? ... I don't know, but it works now.

EDIT: Raising the priority of the cards interrupt from default 50 to 51 betters the situation to useable. Still not quite as good as with 2D VBlanc off

Last edited by jma; 10-23-09 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-24-09, 09:47 AM   #7
jma

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
Ah! Now I see.

I looked up the definition of "video tearing" in wikipedia, and indeed there are some visible "decapitations" when the camera is panning and 'Sync to VBlanc' is off.

The thing is that this is only a mild annoy compared to what I see otherwise with 'Sync to VBlanc' on, which completely tears apart the visual in three regions with frenetically blinking pseudo-random data in the border regions in between.

I say "pseudo-random data" because it appears to be related to what was - or should have been - nearby that scanline in one of the preceding frames.

[PAL Video in @25 interlaced, VGA Monitor @75 in case it matters]
Old 10-28-09, 11:30 AM   #8
NSLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Please post an nvidia-installer.log or nvidia-bug-report.log.gz and a more detailed description about how to reproduce the problem with tvtime.
For me 190.42 also doesn't build. I've got Fedora 11 32 bit.
After today's update in Fedora I've got kernel 2.6.30.9-90.fc11.i686.PAE. I tried to install 190.42 but failed with something like

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.

and installer exited.

I add that 190.42 builds itself fine on earlier kernel 2.6.30.8-64.fc11.i686.PAE

My GFX is 9600MGT. Installer log is in attachment. Thanks for solving this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-installer.log.zip (5.8 KB, 79 views)
NSLW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-09, 11:44 AM   #9
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@SLW: the driver built just fine, but fails to load because of unresolved symbols:
nvidia: Unknown symbol i2c_del_adapter
nvidia: Unknown symbol i2c_add_adapter
This suggests a problem with the kernel: it may not ship the relevant i2c module, for example.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 12:10 PM   #10
NSLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
This suggests a problem with the kernel: it may not ship the relevant i2c module, for example.
I didn't compile this kernel so I don't know.
As I understand it's not driver problem but wrong compiled kernel problem. In this situation I'll wait till new kernel appears and hope it'll allow me to install drivers fine. Thanks for clarifying me that.
NSLW is offline   Reply With Quote