Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-09, 07:44 AM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Torchlight - A review from a Diablo 2 fan

I was < > close to buying Torchlight last night because of all the "rave" reviews. Literally, EVERYONE is saying how amazing this game is. I went to website upon website and glowing reviews all around. All the forums I visit were saying it was the "best $20 for a game I have ever spent" . I was skeptical when people started saying "This game is just as fun as Diablo 2!!!". So then, I downloaded the demo.

My opinions:

This game has zero story. All the quests were absolutely stupid and randomly generated. But you know what, thats ok. I never pay attention to stories any way, I just want to kill. But in this game is just so blatantly obvious, it really takes away from the game.

The Graphics. The graphics are "ok". They are pretty bright and happy. Which is.... meh ok I can deal with that.

The sound. The music is the best part of the game. It IS diablo 2 music. I love the music. However, the gameplay sounds are lacking very much and there is hardly any dialogue.

Multiplayer? Theres no multiplayer. Does that affect how I feel about the game? not at all. I don't play multiplayer in diablo 2. I never did. Only single player for me. So no multiplayer is fine by me.

The gameplay. Heres the kicker. Let me be blunt. The gameplay sucks. As good as diablo 2? are you ****ting me? Are you ****ing retarded? This game is nowhere near Diablo 2. If Torchlight offered Diablo 2 a free blow-job, Diablo 2 would smack Torchlight in the face for talking to him. This gameplay is boring. I felt repetitiveness within 2 minutes of playing the game.

This game IS a carbon copy of a game called "Fate". Fate was an "ok" game, it gave me a solid 8 hours of playtime, until I got bored with it. But all in all, it was pretty good. When I play this game, I keep thinking "I've played this before, and it got pretty damn boring. I'm only 5 minutes in and its still pretty boring".

The gameplay on this game is very childish. If you have the brain of a newt, you might enjoy it. Going from "downstairs" to "downstairs" to "downstairs" to "portal" to "downstairs" to "downstairs" to "portal" to "downstairs" to "downstairs" , gets boring after a while. Where are the zones? Don't give me this "We randomly generate levels to ensure the game stays fresh! " bull****. This game was made lazily. They didn't feel like designing a well thought out map, so they made EVERYTHING random. Its stupid and its boring. I want to visit an actual "zone". Sure, you can make some of the content random, but at least give each zone and level a different feel and a name. Is that too hard?

The Skills/Spells? Wow. How lame can you get? I looked through EVERY different skill and I couldn't find a single one I would ever want. Even the highest level skills looked boring. All the skills were either "increase blah blah stat by blah blah percent" or "area affect spell that freezes/fires/slams everyone around you". Thats it.

Wheres the creativity? This game has ZERO creativity. None. Zero. Zilch. Nadda.

To be franc, You guys who say this game "reminds you of diablo 2" are out of your damn minds. Not only is this game NOTHING like Diablo 2, its not even fun. Titan's Quest was fun. Dungeon Siege was fun. This? Not fun. This game is boring and extremely repetitive within 5 minutes of play. I LOVE hack and slash games, but this game just seems lazy to me.

Within a week, half of you will have quit Torchlight. Within 2 weeks, you will forget it exists. This game isn't an "instant classic" like I've seen all around the internet. This game is only fun to old WoW players who never played Diablo 2. Playing this stupid little game reminds them of playing WoW, so they think its fun. You "think" you like this game, but you don't really. You really don't.

Do yourself a favor, play Titans Quest or Diablo 2 if you are looking for a decent hack and slash game that you will actually enjoy.

Torchlight = Fate with Diablo 2 music. Thats it and thats all.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 07:57 AM   #2
Badboy_12345

Default Re: Torchlight - A review from a Diablo 2 fan

^

you are wrong..
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 08:04 AM   #3
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
This game is only fun to old WoW players who never played Diablo 2. Playing this stupid little game reminds them of playing WoW, so they think its fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 World Of Warcraft Player
^

you are wrong..
Point proven.
Old 10-29-09, 08:32 AM   #4
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody View Post
I was < > close to buying Torchlight last night because of all the "rave" reviews. Literally, EVERYONE is saying how amazing this game is. I went to website upon website and glowing reviews all around. All the forums I visit were saying it was the "best $20 for a game I have ever spent" . I was skeptical when people started saying "This game is just as fun as Diablo 2!!!". So then, I downloaded the demo.

My opinions:

This game has zero story. All the quests were absolutely stupid and randomly generated. But you know what, thats ok. I never pay attention to stories any way, I just want to kill. But in this game is just so blatantly obvious, it really takes away from the game.
There is a story, granted it's not a good one, but there is one.

Quote:
The Graphics. The graphics are "ok". They are pretty bright and happy. Which is.... meh ok I can deal with that.
The graphics do the job fine - they're not groundbreaking nor are they ugly thanks to the stylizing.

Quote:
The sound. The music is the best part of the game. It IS diablo 2 music. I love the music. However, the gameplay sounds are lacking very much and there is hardly any dialogue.
There is dialogue - you're probably just like me clicking skip before the npcs even open their mouths.

Quote:
Multiplayer? Theres no multiplayer. Does that affect how I feel about the game? not at all. I don't play multiplayer in diablo 2. I never did. Only single player for me. So no multiplayer is fine by me.
Would be fine if the single-player campaign had a better story; you need friends to enjoy doing the same things over and over again(playing through this game once is enough).

Quote:
The gameplay. Heres the kicker. Let me be blunt. The gameplay sucks. As good as diablo 2? are you ****ting me? Are you ****ing retarded? This game is nowhere near Diablo 2. If Torchlight offered Diablo 2 a free blow-job, Diablo 2 would smack Torchlight in the face for talking to him. This gameplay is boring. I felt repetitiveness within 2 minutes of playing the game.
Have you ever even played Diablo II? The gameplay is pretty much exactly the same - you point and click, now how many ways are there to do that?

Quote:
This game IS a carbon copy of a game called "Fate". Fate was an "ok" game, it gave me a solid 8 hours of playtime, until I got bored with it. But all in all, it was pretty good. When I play this game, I keep thinking "I've played this before, and it got pretty damn boring. I'm only 5 minutes in and its still pretty boring".
Never played fate. So no comment.

Quote:
The gameplay on this game is very childish. If you have the brain of a newt, you might enjoy it. Going from "downstairs" to "downstairs" to "downstairs" to "portal" to "downstairs" to "downstairs" to "portal" to "downstairs" to "downstairs" , gets boring after a while. Where are the zones? Don't give me this "We randomly generate levels to ensure the game stays fresh! " bull****. This game was made lazily. They didn't feel like designing a well thought out map, so they made EVERYTHING random. Its stupid and its boring. I want to visit an actual "zone". Sure, you can make some of the content random, but at least give each zone and level a different feel and a name. Is that too hard?
You played a demo and now you're an expert on how the levels in this game were designed? I'm sorry, but there are a lot of different levels so you are completely wrong on this one.

Quote:
The Skills/Spells? Wow. How lame can you get? I looked through EVERY different skill and I couldn't find a single one I would ever want. Even the highest level skills looked boring. All the skills were either "increase blah blah stat by blah blah percent" or "area affect spell that freezes/fires/slams everyone around you". Thats it.
Exactly like Diablo II, so if you enjoyed that game then you'll enjoy this one as well.

Quote:
Wheres the creativity? This game has ZERO creativity. None. Zero. Zilch. Nadda.
This game isn't supposed to be groundbreaking - it's supposed to be a fun game for the fans of diablo to play until the real thing comes out hence the 15€ price-tag.

Quote:
To be franc, You guys who say this game "reminds you of diablo 2" are out of your damn minds. Not only is this game NOTHING like Diablo 2, its not even fun. Titan's Quest was fun. Dungeon Siege was fun. This? Not fun. This game is boring and extremely repetitive within 5 minutes of play. I LOVE hack and slash games, but this game just seems lazy to me.
You take Diablo II, take out the story and add a pet = Torchlight.

Quote:
Within a week, half of you will have quit Torchlight. Within 2 weeks, you will forget it exists. This game isn't an "instant classic" like I've seen all around the internet. This game is only fun to old WoW players who never played Diablo 2. Playing this stupid little game reminds them of playing WoW, so they think its fun. You "think" you like this game, but you don't really. You really don't.
Well considering how far we've come since the Diablo II days this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, especially considering the length and lack of multiplayer in this game.
Hell if Diablo II came out in its original form today nobody would even bother playing it.

Quote:
Do yourself a favor, play Titans Quest or Diablo 2 if you are looking for a decent hack and slash game that you will actually enjoy.

Torchlight = Fate with Diablo 2 music. Thats it and thats all.
Just give it a chance and you'll come to see just how wrong Tygerwood is.
Old 10-29-09, 08:34 AM   #5
mizzer
Is he safe?

Quote:
I

This game IS a carbon copy of a game called "Fate".

The truth is present.

You know, I almost pushed the "buy" button for Torchlight last night due to all the rave, player reviews: especially ones on this forum. Instead I opted to try the demo first.

Glad I did.

Torchlight is (almost) EXACTLY like Fate. In fact, it is so much like Fate I'm wondering if a copyright lawsuit is in the devs' future.

Now, Fate is a good game : cheap, not too deep, easy to play, good graphics, enough variety to keep one playing for 10+ hours. But, and here's the thing, I ALREADY OWN FATE. So I'm not about to plunk down another twenty to play a game I already own.

Take the advice of the honest gamers who are both familiar with Fate and Torchlight:

If you've never played Fate: get Torchlight.

If you've played Fate and would like to play it again: get Torchlight.

If you've played Fate but you impulsively bought Torchlight thinking that it was a different game only to discover that it is actually Fate with a different title here are your options:

1) Stick to your mantra on the forums ("It's not Fate!") but silently lament your purchase at home
or
2) Admit it's just like Fate and that you hastily bought it.

With option 1 you'll have our sympathy and a little *wink*. With option 2 you'll have our respect.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 08:41 AM   #6
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
The truth is present.

You know, I almost pushed the "buy" button for Torchlight last night due to all the rave, player reviews: especially ones on this forum. Instead I opted to try the demo first.

Glad I did.

Torchlight is (almost) EXACTLY like Fate. In fact, it is so much like Fate I'm wondering if a copyright lawsuit is in the devs' future.

Now, Fate is a good game : cheap, not too deep, easy to play, good graphics, enough variety to keep one playing for 10+ hours. But, and here's the thing, I ALREADY OWN FATE. So I'm not about to plunk down another twenty to play a game I already own.

Take the advice of the honest gamers who are both familiar with Fate and Torchlight:

If you've played Fate but you impulsively bought Torchlight thinking that it was a different game only to discover that it is actually Fate with a different title here are your options:

1) Stick to your mantra on the forums ("It's not Fate!") but silently lament your purchase at home
or

With option 1 you'll have our sympathy and a little *wink*. With option 2 you'll have our respect.
Just watched some youtube videos of Fate and it looks that you guys were right to point out that the two are exactly alike. Still doesn't make Torchlight a bad game though.
Old 10-29-09, 08:46 AM   #7
mizzer
Is he safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Just watched some youtube videos of Fate and it looks that you guys were right to point out that the two are exactly alike. Still doesn't make Torchlight a bad game though.
Yep: If you've never played Fate then get Torchlight. It's worth the $20.
Old 10-29-09, 08:48 AM   #8
mizzer
Is he safe?

But seriously: It is so similar I wonder if there could be a copyright issue.

Old 10-29-09, 09:01 AM   #9
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
The truth is present.

Glad I did.

or

FINALLY! A REAL person with a brain!

Mizzer has the exact same feelings I do. That means my assumption is correct.

Diablo 2 is NOTHING like this. I repeat. NOTHING. And if you think "point click die" = Diablo 2, then you are a damn retard. Diablo 2 requires a great deal of strategy and planning throughout the entire game. There are many "copies" of Diablo 2. None that come close. They all add their own twist that ruins the game.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Diablo 2 is the best game I've ever played. You can call me a "fan boy" of it all you want. I don't turn my nose up at games that "copy" diablo 2. Titan Quest was great fun. This game... This game isn't fun.

BadBoy. In two weeks, you won't be playing this game any more. I guarantee it. Diablo 2 is 10 ****ing years old. I still play it to this day. Thats the difference in a classic and a some $20 cheap junk game. 2 weeks... 10 years. If you think they are still the same, you have something wrong with your head.
Old 10-29-09, 09:09 AM   #10
Badboy_12345

Quote:
The truth is present.

Glad I did.

or

Fate sucked ass.
Torchlight doesnt and is fun.
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 09:24 AM   #11
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
Fate sucked ass.
Torchlight doesnt and is fun.
What is your steam ID?
Old 10-29-09, 09:44 AM   #12
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
FINALLY! A REAL person with a brain!

Mizzer has the exact same feelings I do. That means my assumption is correct.

Diablo 2 is NOTHING like this. I repeat. NOTHING. And if you think "point click die" = Diablo 2, then you are a damn retard. Diablo 2 requires a great deal of strategy and planning throughout the entire game. There are many "copies" of Diablo 2. None that come close. They all add their own twist that ruins the game.
You sound like one of those Final Fantasy VII freaks to whom every other jrpg out there is crap compared to it. Diablo II is crap by today's standards and so is FF VII. Get with the times old man.

Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Diablo 2 is the best game I've ever played. You can call me a "fan boy" of it all you want. I don't turn my nose up at games that "copy" diablo 2. Titan Quest was great fun. This game... This game isn't fun.
You're letting your feelings towards immature kids who play WoW 24/7 affect you opinion of this game. Or in other words you're getting old and nothing today is as good as it was back then.

Quote:
BadBoy. In two weeks, you won't be playing this game any more. I guarantee it. Diablo 2 is 10 ****ing years old. I still play it to this day. Thats the difference in a classic and a some $20 cheap junk game. 2 weeks... 10 years. If you think they are still the same, you have something wrong with your head.
Nobody has ever claimed that Torchlight would be as good as Diablo II, what people are saying is that the game is SIMILAR to it and thus very fun and worth the 15. If an updated version of Diablo II came out today for 15 it would be an easy choice, but this is not the case however.

Based of the gameplay-videos I've seen of Diablo III, I think you're gonna be severely disappointed with it.