Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-09, 05:42 PM   #37
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Re: Torchlight - A review from a Diablo 2 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody View Post
when was I ever not civil? I don't recall any name calling or anything of the such. The very first post I received was "you are wrong". So basically, I'm trying to get these guys to show me why I am "wrong". Thus far, they haven't been able too. So sue me for having a good time watching them avoid questions.

And just FYI. The diablo forums are blowing up right now over this game. Its pretty amusing.
He's does have a point he did take the time to write a lengthy and detailed review, it is pretty annoying for someone to just post "you are wrong" with no info or details proving their point, to me that kind of a response should be considered trolling... I mean really, what kind of a response do you expect from just "you are wrong"??
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 05:49 PM   #38
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
He's does have a point he did take the time to write a lengthy and detailed review, it is pretty annoying for someone to just post "you are wrong" with no info or details proving their point, to me that kind of a response should be considered trolling... I mean really, what kind of a response do you expect from just "you are wrong"??
Yes but one response like that does not warrant attacking everyone who may not agree with you.

I was just saying I don't want to close the thread. Take it at face value.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 05:53 PM   #39
shilk

Quote:
Diablo 2 is 10 ****ing years old. I still play it to this day.
I'm not crapping on Torchlight as I haven't even touched it yet, but I fired up Diablo II with some mods (widescreen fix + plugY v9.00), and I'm having a heck of a lot of fun. I've actually stopped playing quite a few games just to romp through Diablo II again.

Playing Diablo II @1440x900 with plugY is insanely fun, and looks freakin' awesome to boot.

I will download the Torchlight demo and check it out though.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 05:58 PM   #40
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
I'm not crapping on Torchlight as I haven't even touched it yet, but I fired up Diablo II with some mods (widescreen fix + plugY v9.00), and I'm having a heck of a lot of fun. I've actually stopped playing quite a few games just to romp through Diablo II again.

Playing Diablo II @1440x900 with plugY is insanely fun, and looks freakin' awesome to boot.

I will download the Torchlight demo and check it out though.
Hmm, maybe I will have to reinstall Diablo II...

Id love to play at higher res.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 06:11 PM   #41
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
Let's see 3 Skills that I am using. Marksman, Critical Chance and The one with the explosive projectiles (don't remember it's real name). My Critical is at 10 (maxed) and Marksman is at 7 or 8. Combined it makes my projectiles do a lot of damage, I think the highest I saw was about 1400 for a critical strike and the creatures literally just explode from the hit . The explosive projectile is needed for when you get swarmed and it does insane amount of damage to a group especially when it does a critical hit.

I will be playing this game for quite some time, though I am not sure how much as I am also spending time with Tekken 6, Risen, NWN2, Ratchet and Clank, Dragon's Age Origin's Next week. I can tell you that I stopped playing Tekken 6 to go back and play Torchlight last night so IMO it's a very good game. Risen has been put on hold as has NWN2 for Torchlight. As far as my Steam ID you don't need it as it is setup as private so it won't show up even in a search.

I win again
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 06:32 PM   #42
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Tygerywoody has an even bigger woody for confrontation than I do.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 06:43 PM   #43
Bah!

Quote:
Its too late. You wasted your money and they can see that since you didn't answer my one simple question "name 3 skills", that the game is a bust.

Must suck to be wrong. Meanwhile, I'll be sitting here in the winners circle.
What are you, 12 years old?

Anyway, your first problem is that you think Diablo 2 was the greatest game ever made. Your second is that you still play it to this day. Of course, someone compares it to the game you apparently worship and you go ape**** and try anything in your limited power to destroy it.

GG.

Oh, and Diablo was fun, Titan's Quest was fun, and so is Torchlight...get over it.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 06:44 PM   #44
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Bah!

Old 10-29-09, 08:46 PM   #45
Retrolock

Yeah I'm gonna buy this game tygerwoody just to annoy you lol
Old 10-29-09, 09:07 PM   #46
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

just got done playing the demo again. My opinion... facts... the facts are still the same.
Old 10-29-09, 09:21 PM   #47
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Diablo 3 looks like such a Torchlight clone...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 09:50 PM   #48
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Well I was looking for an action rpg for my laptop (underpowered x1300 video chip) and guild wars requires you to be online, so I decided to add torchlight to my steam library.

And I think I am glad I did. Ive spent about 3 hours in it with the vanquisher, and here are the thoughts and opinions that came up while I was playing.

Graphics, pretty, not complex but colorfull, lots of extra things here and there, a nice WoW inspired look. Animation was also fairly good, didn't see any sliding monsters or glitchy frames. Plenty of particle effects.

Gameplay, aside from the lack of being able to change the control scheeme, I was able to get used to it quickly. Attacking was straight forward, and the special attacks were pretty useful and I didn't feel like I could spam it forever and ignore my normal attacks.

Ai, so far not really impressed. Most mobs had a straight line mentality, and very few exhibited tricks to attacking and killing them. The few large bosses I have come accross have featured varied special attacks, but were still mostly a chase and swing affair.

Loot, so far its what ive come to expect from mmo's, and of course diablo clones. Lots of trash drops but luckly your dog makes it easier to pickup and sell trash. I dont like the identification system here because so much of your drops are unidentified and so you run the high risk of missing something nice.

Skilling up, I really hate needing to figure out my own attributes, it should have been like other MMO games where your classes attributes automatically increase when you level, and you gain the majority of stats through armor. This was compounded with the fact that the game didn't attempt to make non-primary stats useful. Talents were somewhat interesting, but half of them are very situational..or are stat enhancers instead of new special attacks and abilities, and considering how few talents torchwood has overall, this leaves you with only a few actual new abilities at the end of the day. Frankly sticking things like additional crit, and increased crit damage on the talent table is dumb. no one wants to spend on those.

Overall I think its a quality piece...and will tide me over until dragons age. I would be excited if they decided to expand this with a sequel with better story and more dungeon locations. Oh yea, and more classes. with only 3 classes, even replay value is slim.