Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-09-03, 05:23 PM   #1
nosleep

Question When will there be official FX go5200 / go5600 support?

I have seen alot of posts about FX go support. Questions about why does this not work, or how can I get it working. The FX go series IS NOT officially supported yet. The only reason it works at all is because the FX go series and desktop FX series are almost the same. The key word here is almost. I just bought a $3,600 Alienware Area51m. It has an FX go5600 upgradeable graphics module. I would like to know when support for the FX go series is going to be available. Someone at Nvidia must have some clue. I would like to see a response. Any would do. Something like "The first quarter of 2004, or later" would be fine with me. It doesn't have to be tommorow. Return to Castle Wolfenstein crashes at the load screen of the first level on my system. I think this may be because my Fx go is not officially supported yet. All of Nvidia's librarys are installed correctly and the card works great in 2D applications. I want full support for power mizer 3.0 like the Windoze drvier has. Is that to much to ask for. All I want is some sort of official response, or there will be an ATI upgrade in my Area 51m's future.
nosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 08:12 AM   #2
psiegel

I'm completely there with you - I'd love to know when an 'official' supported driver is coming out. I don't know how active actual nvidia staff are on this board though, so I'm skeptical as to whether we'll really get an answer on this. What I can say, is that going through the list of old drivers I see that no two revisions were ever released more than 4 months apart. And being that the last one came ou in July, I'd say one is likely due out soon. Of course, this is pure conjecture on my part.

However, I noticed that you mentioned you're using a new Alienware Area 51m. I have the same machine. What have been your experiences in getting Linux running on this machine? What distro are you using?

I've posted some of the problems I've been having here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=18900

I have it working, though it's a bit cludgy. (I have to boot into Windows first and do a soft-reboot into Linux to make it work.) If your machine is running smoother than this, would you be so kind as to share your XF86Config with me?

Well, good to see another Alienware owner here. Here's hoping the software catches up with the hardware soon!

Paul
psiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 09:20 AM   #3
gdh

You mgiht try and see if the trick I use for the 700 GoGL works for you as well.

SImply diurect boot into linux, and then close the lid of your laptop, this will powerdown the videocard, then open up again and you have a proper working videoboard.
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 09:29 AM   #4
psiegel

Appreciate the tip, but that doesn't do it.

Paul
psiegel is offline   Reply With Quote